Thinking about building a splitter, need help please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newmanab

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 24hp Yanmar diesel out of a john deere lawn tractor. All it needs is fuel injectors.

So this is where i'm at:
I don't have a splitter at the present time. Was going to buy one, but thought i would have to spend about $2,000 to get one with decent cycle time and power.

So could it be done with this engine? Or would i be wasting my time.

I have no clue about size of cyl., pump, I-beam, how much of a hydro fluid should the system hold. i would like it to have auto cycle. What else should i be planning for?

I can weld, but don't have any smarts on hydro's

Sorry to be so ignorant on the subject, but looking for some advise.

Right now i have a CB-6048, but long term goal is to buy a gasser in a few years and it sounds like a splitter will be a must.

Thanks In advanced.

Okay, I will bite on this one.

You want a bad boy splitter?

You got the bad boy motor for it! 24 hp in diesel no less :blob2:

Okay, let's get to work here. What is your budget? You are going to need to be able to obtain several thousand bucks worth of parts. You could cheap that, but with that engine I would go for speed and power!

This means that a 2 stage pump is not needed. Go with a single stage, what RPM does it produce max torque? Let's find something in a pump that would get about 20 gpm at that rpm. You can go with the auto cycle valve if you want, but with the speed that this machine is going to be capable of, a standard valve is safer and plenty efficient.

I would chose either a 4 1/2 or a 5 inch cylinder. The higher flow rate would make a 4 inch jumpy, and the 5 inch is going to have enough nads to split blocks sideways. 3/4" work ports on the cylinder. 3/4 inch hose thru-out. since the flow is about 20 gallons, I would obtain or create a reservoir tank to hold close to 20 gallons. My splitter has a 22 gpm on it, the tank holds over 15 gallons of oil. Cooler oil is better.

Consider building it self propelled.

build anything you like for the wedge, but build it strong!! The single stage would mean that the speed remains the same when hitting a knot. Pieces can go off pretty good. Design it that the operator isn't directly in line of fire. I like the split on the end of the beam. Keep the force in a direct line as best as possible. Building the push higher than the ram stresses the connection to the beam needlessly.

Weld everything structural with 7018 lo-hy if at all possible.

-Pat

You have a good engine there!

Something to keep in mind...... After all of it's welded up.....here is were the $$$ starts! Check out hoses and hose fittings prices! If you're going for the 20 gpm you probably want the larger hoses, valves and pump.

Have you seen some of the splitter build threads here? There are a bunch. From what I've read....most admit buying one would have been cheaper in the long run... Something to consider.

I would consider powering a conveyer with that engine too!

Build it horizontal only. If you're thinking about building it as a convertible, rent/borrow one and try it. I personally think it stinks to work on the ground! INSTEAD.... Build a log lift.

Wedge on the other side of the coupler. Nothing like being able to leave the splitter attached to a tow vehicle and not have the wood pushed against it.

Make it power height adjustable! No/less bending over!

Build in a work table to put pieces that need splitting again! Less bending over.

When you're buying your valve....buy more than what you need now....

Put an oil cooler on it. Learn how hot things can run.

Put decent size tires on it!

Good luck!

Hello,
I can understand the desire to build your own splitter from scratch.......even though you can weld, there is going to be a lot of money spent on parts. Also you said that you lacked the knowledge to know how to pipe and plumb everything together to get a working log splitter. This can be overcome by reading books on the subject......that is how I did it !!!! Unless you have a lot of metalworking machines at your disposal, how will you cut and finish the edges of your metal fabricated parts ? I was a High School metalworking teacher when I built mine years ago. I had a complete metal shop to work out of after school hours!!! I had arc and gas welders, 2 milling machines to finish the edges of cut metal, surface grinders, metal lathes....the whole 9 yards. I used most of all of them in the process of building my log splitter........I think beside the arc welder, the vertical milling machine was the most helpful !!!!
You will probably have more money spent in building one than in going and buying one from Lowe's or Tractor Supply, however, I must say that I get a lot of satisfaction every time I use mine !!!!! With the price of steel these days, nothing is cheap to buy !!!!! You also go through a lot of welding rods, which the last time I bought some they were kind of pricey !!!!! Hope this was a little help.....some things to think about before you take the plunge !!!! Good Luck !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Thank you for all the comments. I always enjoy reading and learning on this site an many others. You have given me many ideas and concerns to think about. although it sounds like it still might be my best bet to just buy one. My brain is just telling me to find a way to use that engine for something useful:laugh:

If i decide to buy a mfg. splitter what type of cycle time should i look for? i would really like a Dr or a super splitter, but gotta feeling there is no way i would find a used one.

thanks again.

not impossible

but depends on what you have for equipment, and how clever you are.
You will need a stick welder, and a acetylene torch, and a imagination.

Sit around with a tablet and draw what you want. Excellent suggestions here. One thing you are going to have to deal with is how to connect to the Yanmar. With care a plate could be drilled out and bolted to the flywheel. Then it is a matter of getting a shaft centered well enough on that plate. Large lovejoy and you are half way there. Then the fun begins to create the mounting bracket from the side of the engine to mount the pump on. Words of experience here, this can be tricky.

The rest of it is fairly simple, but a lot of work cutting, welding, fitting, etc. Do it right, or do it over.
Right now I have to rebuild my push plate on my splitter because I didn't get it quite right. Never mind that it has gone thru several hundred cords already.

Self propelled is the cats meow. I drive mine in the parade almost every year!

Just a thought...

If you can find somebody Else's "unfinished splitter project" on Craigslist, that can be a real $$ saver. Older homemade splitters are another option. Most that I've seen have heavily built chassis & BIG cylinders. Since you already have the engine, you'd just need the correct GPM pump & possibly some hoses. Customize it w/ table(s) &/or a log lift.

If your around north west ohio and interested i have an unfinished splitter project. 28 gpm pump wedge i beam 4" bore 2" shaft and 24" stroke and much more!

Yanmar splitter!!!

WOW!! I have a 24hp Yanmar tractor and they have WAY WAY too much power for a splitter, those are great motors but too big for a that. Sell it or trade it for a new splitter. They bring very high prices. They are 2500rpm engine sustained, you can over drive it but WOW!!!

Maybe try building and mobile power plant with it instead or find a nice little 10hp Honda.

Around hear a Yanmar diesel will fetch $1500-2000 Easy

Duane

Hello,
Timberdollars might be on to something.........if you can sell that Yanmar for $1500-$2000, sell it and buy a new splitter....that sounds like the best deal to me !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

you might be on to something... If I could sell the engine and buy a nice splitter I may do that. I only need to split around 10 cord a year max. So its not like I need a monster splitter. But it would be fun!

I would be very happy for $1500 for the engine or $2000 for engine and hydrostatic drive if anyone is interested.

If any one has more comments I would be open for suggestion.

Thanks for everything!

Back