Thinking about getting an cordless electric saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I hate at the end of the day when your done cutting and are picking up blocks and you come across blocks that are not completely though or branches still hanging on..
I usually just start a saw back up, but I was thinking it would be nice to have an electric cordless chainsaw.
I'm not sure what bands you can even get, but what's a good cheap ones?

Probably only good for tiddly little bits. I think I'd opt for a hatchet or a machette, which will never need recharging and costs less.

Thinking on it, they could find a good application for hedging and pruning in populated areas where the comparitively low noise would be beneficial. safety tip as well, just reach in there and nip bits off, easy as.

Big question: In two years time, when the battery has turned sour, will you be able to get a new one?

I have a DeWalt 18 volt reciepicating saw that works well for small things, but would look to a pruning saw for the occasional work.

Thinking on it, they could find a good application for hedging and pruning in populated areas where the comparitively low noise would be beneficial. safety tip as well, just reach in there and nip bits off, easy as.

Big question: In two years time, when the battery has turned sour, will you be able to get a new one?

uses a makita std 12v battery

Scott

Hatchet or bow saw, much less upkeep and more versitle of a tool for what you need. Those cordless things are designed for homeowners who are scared or a real chainsaw.

My Father-inlaw bought me a Ryobi 18v. It will cut, but drains the battery very fast. I keep it in the basement by the stove to cut pieces that are a little too long. I don't think I've cut anything bigger than 4"diam.
Scott

Just bought one my self today

Taurus, .454 :) batterys are expensive, and I can't use it in the house, but I can't wait to try it out in the morning.

Just bought one my self today

Taurus, .454 :) batterys are expensive, and I can't use it in the house, but I can't wait to try it out in the morning.

I tried a Cassull 454 years back and it was quite the beast. Make sure that you grip it tightly, and with arms outstreteched, otherwise, you'll have a concussion or worse.

LOL! My wife tried my Redhawk with 370gr cast over a compressed charge of WW296(no misprint). I thought it was going into orbit, but she managed to hang on with her left hand as it went overhead and behind her left shoulder. It convinced me that I didn't need a Linebaugh .475 or .500 conversion.

My Father-inlaw bought me a Ryobi 18v. It will cut, but drains the battery very fast. I keep it in the basement by the stove to cut pieces that are a little too long. I don't think I've cut anything bigger than 4"diam.
Scott

Miter saw with an old blade works great for that. I would even buy a beat up cheapie one that doesnt cut accurate just to cut little stuff with. So much faster than a chainsaw and the table is nice for holding down smaller pieces.

That's a good idea. It's pretty hard to hold a 20" stick with one hand, and hold the saw with the other - safety police, don't start with me! I'm pretty accurate out in the woods, so there aren't many that need to be trimmed.
Scott

Back