Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite brand

• Stihl

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Echo

Votes: 13 16.5%

• Total voters
I've never found chainsaws to be expensive, especially after initial investment but can't say I'm addicted, more of a life style.

Now my other hobby as mentioned above is expensive.....building Jeeps. Lol
Just a set of control arms with Johnny joints cost more than all my saws.

Expensive is a rather relative term. I just a bought a running Homelite Super 1050 for $150, I consider that pretty cheap for 100CC's. New is rather relative too, I consider anything with an auto oiler as new. My 660 has an auto oiler so I guess it's new, but since I've had it for 4-5 years it's just another old saw in the shed. It did cost me $1200. Screeching? None of my saws screech. Even my little $5 150 Automatic with a clean air filter and gutted muffler sounds good. Screeching is something cats do when they get stepped on, Joe.

I had a great job building CNC machines. I was an ex auto, truck, jeep mechanic who became a machine operator, then a class A machine builder. I installed a woodstove after being snowed in for days on top of a mountain. I figured we needed heat Incase the power went out. I can cook on top of the woodstove too. The husky saws cost me $1,100. My misses went nuts on me. But when the recession hit in ‘83 those saws were smoking making wood chips into money. I was cutting and selling firewood.
My point is no hobby here. I enjoyed being in the forest with nature logging firewood. Best job I ever had.

I’ve been into building 4x4 trucks, drag race engines, still dabble in Husqvarna dirtbikes. The vintage, post vintage dirtbikes are very expensive. The saws take up less room.

I've started building a Toyota Tacoma into a mild 4x4 Overland rig.... upper control arms, 3" lift, and ARB bumper alone cost much much more than the amount of money I have tied up in the 45 chainsaws I own.

So my chainsaw spending is on hold for a little while anyways.... I mean if something good comes up I'll snag it, but otherwise I already spent all my "toys" allowance.

You can’t take your money with ya when we leave this planet. Remember in heaven there is no beer that’s why we drink it here, lol. Save a little $$ and spend a little.

How many saws should a man have? The correct number, plus one!

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

I’m not sure.

I had 14 Husqvarna dirtbikes when the misses said no more. Well she ate those words within a few weeks I was up to 25. Lol. She never said no more again. There are so many husky bikes still out there that still need good homes.

The way I look at it my saws are all free. I'm probably into the 3 Echos for around 1k including having the 590 ported. I save 7-800 a year by burning wood. In a year the saws pay for them selves.
Honda minis are an expensive hobby.

Yeah, not too expensive imo. You can buy a dozen or more new / nice used saws for 10K or
1 nice used Harley! :eek: But I love em' all.

Some of my hi-costs involved with my saws is buying multiple bars / chains / tools etc.
($80 for a new case-splitter, really?) Made that puppy outta scrap iron!
Seems that stuff can add up to the price of another nice saw faster than expected if you're not careful!

As for the other ?'s-
I dig the sound of my 288xp, turn down the idle low til the clutch drum pings a bit, it reminds me
going out with my dad & uncle cutting wood as a kid & my shovel-head thumping along.
Also, seeing how fast the sawdust just piles up your or buddies boots is cool too....

Here's my little all original 1975 Wizard 212. Gotta get some pics of the others, now...

Attachments

• Wizard 212 Lft.jpg
    Wizard 212 Lft.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Wizard 212.1.jpg
    Wizard 212.1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Wizard 212 Bottom.jpg
    Wizard 212 Bottom.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Wizard 212 Top.jpg
    Wizard 212 Top.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, not too expensive imo. You can buy a dozen or more new / nice used saws for 10K or
1 nice used Harley! :eek: But I love em' all.

Some of my hi-costs involved with my saws is buying multiple bars / chains / tools etc.
($80 for a new case-splitter, really?) Made that puppy outta scrap iron!
Seems that stuff can add up to the price of another nice saw faster than expected if you're not careful!

As for the other ?'s-
I dig the sound of my 288xp, turn down the idle low til the clutch drum pings a bit, it reminds me
going out with my dad & uncle cutting wood as a kid & my shovel-head thumping along.
Also, seeing how fast the sawdust just piles up your or buddies boots is cool too....

Here's my little all original 1975 Wizard 212. Gotta get some pics of the others, now...
Back in the good old days. A Western Auto could be anything, along with the auto parts. Our Western Auto had a gun section in the back. The owner let his son convert a little storage room into a gun shop, and called that corner the "Shack". When the Auto business closed, Steve named the whole building the "Gun Shack". The Shack is still there, with a wood stove in the middle of the floor. Yep, the good old days.

They ain't expensive compared to hookers and blow!

LMAO!!! but so true...

Back in the good old days. A Western Auto could be anything, along with the auto parts. Our Western Auto had a gun section in the back. The owner let his son convert a little storage room into a gun shop, and called that corner the "Shack". When the Auto business closed, Steve named the whole building the "Gun Shack". The Shack is still there, with a wood stove in the middle of the floor. Yep, the good old days.

I remember W/A, Coast to Coast was a great Hardware store, so many shops are gone now
that were around growing up.... wth? I'm only 50 and sooo many gone, makes me feel old...
Woolworth, Sprout Ritz, Shakey's Pizza just to name a few, can't hardly find a friggin' K-Mart anymore
& they don't sell Ice Cream cones / Poorboy's at the frt doors anymore... whats this world coming to? idk. lol
Went into a Dairy Queen last summer for a choc dipped vanilla cone- hadn't had one in over 20yrs
med was almost $4 !!! just shook my head & walked the "F'-out. In 77' a Lge dipped cone was 30-40c ?
With a dollar I could get a tube patched on my bike at the 76' G/S walk across the street get a Lge D/Cone
and eat it while waiting for the bike & ride home with money in my pocket! The good ol' days...

I was telling my kids when I was in high school you could get a small burger, fry, and drink at McD's, and get penny back from $1. Back around 83-85 I walked into Woolworths and they had a rack full of M1 Garands for $400, so I bought one. Good old days. They say our kids will call these the good old days.

Latest posts

Back