Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite brand

• Stihl

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Echo

Votes: 13 16.5%

• Total voters
Racing motorcycles is expensive.

Between the pit pass, fuel for the truck, a trailer, food, tires and race fuel it was an easy 600 to 1 k weekend.

I've owned probably 35 different motorcycles for the street and that was also an expensive hobby.

Guns multiply in the safe and all need to be fed ammo so again an expensive hobby.

Playing with saws is new to me, I'm already way ahead with the amount of firewood I have cut and stacked this season. My new bigger saw has paid for it self due to its higher production..

Doing my first complete rebuild on an ms260 right now. The bottom end bearings are no good. Priced out OEM parts and really they arent crazy expensive.

All in all you cant put a price on fun!

Racing motorcycles is expensive.
Between the pit pass, fuel for the truck, a trailer, food, tires and race fuel it was an easy 600 to 1 k weekend.
I've owned probably 35 different motorcycles for the street and that was also an expensive hobby.
Guns multiply in the safe and all need to be fed ammo so again an expensive hobby.
Playing with saws is new to me, I'm already way ahead with the amount of firewood I have cut and stacked this season. My new bigger saw has paid for it self due to its higher production..
Doing my first complete rebuild on an ms260 right now. The bottom end bearings are no good. Priced out OEM parts and really they arent crazy expensive.
All in all you cant put a price on fun!

I raced MX for many years and enjoyed it thoroughly. My budget was $6000 to $8000 for the year. No matter what I did I planned on the economy route. I put 50000 miles a year on my Toyota pulling a bike trailer. Averaged 35 MPG with trailer. Averaged 10 first place wins 10 seconds an misc. DNS DNF. Was able to manage at least 30 races a year with 100 practice days. I bored my own cylinders, rebuilt my shocks etc. Absolutely priceless moments and friends. I have at least $10,000 in saws and $200,000 in properties to support wood cutting. Wood can be less than lucrative, but it will keep you in shape and busy. Thanks

LMAO!!! but so true...

I remember W/A, Coast to Coast was a great Hardware store, so many shops are gone now
that were around growing up.... wth? I'm only 50 and sooo many gone, makes me feel old...
Woolworth, Sprout Ritz, Shakey's Pizza just to name a few, can't hardly find a friggin' K-Mart anymore
& they don't sell Ice Cream cones / Poorboy's at the frt doors anymore... whats this world coming to? idk. lol
Went into a Dairy Queen last summer for a choc dipped vanilla cone- hadn't had one in over 20yrs
med was almost $4 !!! just shook my head & walked the "F'-out. In 77' a Lge dipped cone was 30-40c ?
With a dollar I could get a tube patched on my bike at the 76' G/S walk across the street get a Lge D/Cone
and eat it while waiting for the bike & ride home with money in my pocket! The good ol' days...

Yeah and in 1977 min wage was 2.30/hr too.

sure you can - wives do it to you all the time. 1 saw = new drapes ,carpet,flooring you get the drift.:bowdown:
Never ever bow down to a woman because you'll pay the price for it for the rest of your life.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Pioneer what are you saying, if you have less than 99.0 saws you do not have CAD. I guess I am good to go because I lined up 11 saws the other day that were running and thought what more do I need. After thinking a few moments I realized I left a few out and then there are those waiting for parts. Counting the ones that do not run got out of hand so quit. So I must have some room for more saws before I have Cad. Thanks

It’s only expensive if you let it get that way. Some of these saws are way over priced. I seen saws from the 80’s in mint condition up towards $550? That’s crazy. It’s turn and burn or buy new.

All saws will cut wood, older all mag saws were great in their day but the weight and vibration makes them less desirable today. They become a saw that is only used occasionally if newer saws are in the collection. Big old saws running 1/2" , 7/16" chain are a hoot to run for a few minutes but no one would want to run them all day with engines solidly mounted to the handles.

IDK HuskyBill- I like the older saws, seem to be less persnickety, and have proven their durability.
May change my mind in another 10-15yrs tho' 70cc saws will prob weigh 5lbs...lol
And then I'll have to just throw em' away:crazy:

This hobby (for some) could get more expensive if the manf's start putting computers in them- (or have they already?)
like HarleyD did in the late 90's? Buddy of mine bought a used 2000ish model w/ ext warr & when the comp died, insurance wouldn't cover it, so paid $800 outta pocket to ride again!
When saws get to that point they "will be expensive" to fix or throw away & buy new. Here we go....lol

I cut around 8-15 cords a year for heat, milling and properly projects.
I enjoy taking care of my tools so I like the maintenance peice. 3 saws for different applications. 5 bars and a pile of chains. Past that, Im too busy for another "hobby".

Latest posts

Back