Thoughts and prayers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
A logger who cuts for my mill was hit by a widow maker a week ago. It split his hard hat. His partner found him face down unresponsive. They flew him out and he has been on life support for a week. He may not make it. I just found out this morning from the trucker. My machine has been down a while and I've been out of the loop. Even though on several occasions we have been cutting 10-15min away I never did meet him. I did talk to him on the phone a few times and I bought some wedges for him last winter that I sent along with his forester. Hes younger than me and seems like a decent guy. It was a pretty big shock to me. I hope the guy will pull through. Crazy stuff. Well be careful out there. His dad is a logger and I'll bet his dad was too.

prayers sent bitzer. terrible thing to happen. the wifes relative was the lucky one standing in the firing line of his partners tree about 5 months ago. i don't think 100' balsam would feel good getting pegged by. amazing thing, he made it and was in a coma for near 2 weeks. we all thought there was no way but he woke up so there's hope. he's out now and has the same sense of humour he had before. he's a good guy i enjoy spending time with. he remembers everyone but his short term memory is shot. i can be having a few beers with him then leave to take a **** only to come back and he claims he hasn't seen me in years, meanwhile i was only gone 10 min :dizzy: at least he made it and is still the same good dude. hoping for the same here.

He passed away on Friday. I'm not sure what the final circumstances were. My wife keeps asking me what I think about it. I really don't know what to say. It just so strange to lose a guy in his prime.

i'm sorry Bob............its happened here several times the last few years. loggers are getting scarce here. i would gladly have lost timber to those boys if they could have lived.

i have not been able to get on AS for some time, i don't know how long it will work now. you boys stay safe, no tree is worth your life.

Sorry to hear that.

Sayn did Joe ever mention Matthew Rhea here? He worked with us, probably cut 2 or 3 years. Good worker, just green to hazards. I had already left, but he got killed by a locust I believe it was and made Brain salad from the sounds of it...
Imo, Joe pushed him too agressively. Ill never forget the time Joe sent him down to a corner in a draw, both boundarys running up hill without his ax because Joe left it somewhere on the truck road. No timber across the boundarys either...Wasn't 20 minutes befor I was going over to cut him out. (Joe had the nerve to get short with us over the radio for not getting production, he got an ear full on that one..) Matthew almost got hit that morning. I was wedging a smaller oak up the hill, trying to free Matt when I heard "swwooooosh"I hollered,grabbed his shirt & jumped down the hill. Green, and overworked..

So thats just in case he didn't, every fallen cutter and logger should be recognised & respected i think.

RIP timber faller Matthew Rhea. August 8th 2014.

prayers sent bitzer. terrible thing to happen. the wifes relative was the lucky one standing in the firing line of his partners tree about 5 months ago. i don't think 100' balsam would feel good getting pegged by. amazing thing, he made it and was in a coma for near 2 weeks. we all thought there was no way but he woke up so there's hope. he's out now and has the same sense of humour he had before. he's a good guy i enjoy spending time with. he remembers everyone but his short term memory is shot. i can be having a few beers with him then leave to take a **** only to come back and he claims he hasn't seen me in years, meanwhile i was only gone 10 min :dizzy: at least he made it and is still the same good dude. hoping for the same here.

The very first thing i learned when i moved to OR. Let people know, even if your the only one around. We all used "ON THE BAAAACK" so if you hear what sounds like 3 words off in the shrubs, be aware.

So did your friend brake any bones or anything? 100', sounds like he got whipped. I guess you could call that luck. Hopefully his memory returns.

Latest posts

Back