Thoughts on my next saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seadesk

Reaction score
I'm down from Alaska now living in Washington State, near Seattle. I used Homelites (XL-12, 360 and 450 models) nearly 20 years ago as a teenager. Many logging camps in Southeast Alaska used Homelites during those days probably because the dealerships were very good, and arguably better than the saws themselves. Stihl was becoming more popular as I moved away from firewood cutting and onto other things.

Now, having a fireplace, I’m back into cutting wood and it feels good! I bought a Stihl 260 pro from the local dealer who talked me into it. A have to say it’s a ballsy little pup of a chainsaw…I like it, although it does require a very sharp chain or else essentially nothing happens.

I’ll keep the 260 as a general saw, but now want to move up the line in power. I still have the Homelite medium-hour 360 and 450 saws which I could have sent to me (I guess they still work or could have life blown back into them) or I could buy another new Stihl. Of course I don’t want to waste money, but what do you people think of the Stihl 440 or 460 if I go new?

I would like to know where I could buy an older style double-jet carburetor for my 260 pro and a slightly opened up muffler also. I’d like to keep the noise down as much as possible.

Thanks,

Earl

Earl get the 440!! What a monster!!! and the muffler you can do yourself just search muffler mods on here and sit back for a little while and read!

Yeah Earl, either the 440 or the 460 would do you well. I've got a 460, and can't say enough about it. And I'm gonna end up with a 440 at some point in time, hopefully before summer. Not because of any shortcoming or fault with the 460, but because that 440 is such a nice saw, and fills a big niche. If you're gonna do one more saw, I'd recommend the 440. Great saw, it's lighter, and I think the only time the 460 would shine head and shoulders above the 440 is in big timber, and even then, the 440 will hold it's own.

Jeff

Earl. E-mail me, I have the fully adjustable carb you are looking for for your 260, brand new.

TonyM said:
Dolmar PS-7900. Spanks a MS460 and is lighter and less expensive to boot.

I'll second that. the 440 is a couple decades behind the 7900 in technology. there is no comparison. the 7900 is the one I would go for.

I just bought a new 460 Magnum last week, WOW! I love it, it's a monster. But it is pretty heavy and pricey. If you're just going to be using it for firewood you would probobly be better off with the 440. It's still got power and dependability to boot. Plus it'll save you some money and mabey a little back-ache. The 7900 the other guys mentiond also sounds to be an incredible saw, it would have been my first choice if I could find a Dolmar dealer around here.

FWIW, I can throw in another recommendation for the 440.

Thank you all kindly

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.

Though I trust the Dolmar saws are competent, with respect to service, there is no dealer here on Bainbridge Island. I’ll check out the MS 440 Stihl model specifically, where otherwise I would have just gone toward the 460. Lighter sounds better, especially with so little difference in power.

Any suggestions on ready-to-go bolt on muffler for my 260 Pro?

Earl

If you're leary of trying to do the mods yourself,

I believe that klicktosacket sells modded mufflers ready to bolt-on. I'm not certain, but maybe Dan Henry (site sponsor) as well. As fishhuntcutwood suggested, try the search. There might be a Stihl dual port muffler for the 260 (my memory isn't that good, & I'm too lazy :rolleyes: to search for the info myself).

Latest posts

Back