thoughts on new saw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not run a 441 yet but a 460 is plain bad arse. The only thing the 372 has over the 460 is less vibes but I never could tell vibes from my 440s or 460s...the 460 makes up in power and overall quality. I would have to say the 460, the used 441 would not be bad, either Stihls, if not liked, could sell easy and get all if not most of your money back.

Just puting in my
twocents.gif

I would go for the 460 or a Dolmar 7900

I really like the 372 but I don't think it's far enough away from your 361 to be a real winner for you. When your 361 runs outa snot the 372 isn't gonna make it seem a whole lot better.

The 460 or the 7900 will have more of what you're looking for, and enough giddy-up to make the bigger logs fun again. ;)

I'll put in another plug for the 441. (Haven't run the other two you are considering.)

The 441 will pull a 32" bar with skip in Red Oak with no trouble. (Haven't gotten any full comp to try yet.)
The largest cut I have had to make has been 44". The 441 was plenty of saw.

Very easy on the hands and fuel. Excellent air filtration.

It is my preferred saw for firewood cutting.
If you are doing a lot of hiking through the woods for felling/bucking/blocking trees, go for the least weight and most cc's in the 70ish cc range.

If you are rough on equipment; Go with the 460. The antivibe can take the abuse. The antivibe is smoother on the 441, but I don't believe it is as tough as the older style mounts.

Good Luck. Tough/expensive decision. I can appreciate you want to get it right the first time!

Last edited:
TBH Out of those I'd go for the 372. In my opinion, it has the best handling and comfort of the bunch, and has about the same power as the 441. The 441 feels a bit chunky and ungainly to me, but is a quality saw. The 460 will have more juice, especially with a dual port muffler, but vibrates quite a bit more than the other two. You will notice this after a few hours, trust me. The vibes bother some, while others don't mind.

I have a 372, and have owned and ran the 460 a lot and the 441 some.

372 pluses = Good power, best anti vibe, best handing (IMHO)
441 pluses = Good anti vibe, uses the least gas
460 pluses = Most power, handles almost as well as the 372

They are all great saws. Put them down side by side if possible, and see which one is the most comfortable to you. Try to test drive them if you can. It might boil down to which dealer is better and closer, too.

Good luck!

I think you got it right - the vibes were the main reason I stayed away from the 460 and 660, and opted for the 372xpg as my "big" saw (plus the reputation of that one)......:cheers:

The power is way more than I really need, anyway......

Last edited:
I still think he needs to buy my 441 and save some money.He would'nt be disappointed

I ran my 372 today for the first time and she did give me the WOW. I've not run many "big" saws so I was truely impressed. Quite a jump from my old 026. Now I have to go get some more wood to have some fun!

attachment.php

I ran my 372 today for the first time and she did give me the WOW. I've not run many "big" saws so I was truely impressed. Quite a jump from my old 026. Now I have to go get some more wood to have some fun!

attachment.php

Hey, fellow Kansan, where at in Kansas you from? Nice saw and splitter!

Home of a lot of tuition money, and now employer of the "boss". Almost football season, got to get everything split and stacked so I can enjoy the games.

Purple pride!

I wouldn't even considered the fat bottomed 441.

For only $30 more than the 372 Husky, you will get twice the saw in the 460. Huskies are usually priced less than Stihl for a reason...you get what you pay for.

If I were you, I would order a 681 Solo from Bailey's. OR, buy the 460 Stihl from your local dealer.

Why is Efco so cheap then?

Sorry, just couldn't help it. :)

As for the question at hand, they are all fine saw choices. I have only experience with the 2171 (JRed's version of the 372) and love it. So my recommendation is a little biased as always. All the above mentioned saws are solid built and have a good reputation. Get the one that feels the best and one that you won't feel guilty about. Displacement is not always the best way to compare saws. You know what you want in a saw, so run all of them and then decide. Good luck and let us know what you buy. :cheers:

Last edited:

For only $30 more than the 372 Husky, you will get twice the saw in the 460. Huskies are usually priced less than Stihl for a reason...you get what you pay for.
I still think he needs to buy my 441 and save some money.He would'nt be disappointed
The price picture is the other way around over here, and most of my saws are still Huskys........:greenchainsaw:

The 441W is a real "bargain" here (about 300 USD less than the 372xpg), but I still didn't bite.....

Last edited:
If you are looking for a step up from your 361...

I agree you'll be disappointed in the 372 as it will be quite similar in power to your current saw with a cheaper feel.

441 Has a lot more grunt than any 372 I've run but a wee bit heavy. Nice firewood saw.

460 If you aren't worried about a few vibs this saw rocks. It is a big step up from your 361.

The best suggestion offered was for the Dolmar 7900. Best power/weight. More grunt than the 460. Best bang for the buck. Just find one and run it, your decision will be made.

I agree you'll be disappointed in the 372 as it will be quite similar in power to your current saw with a cheaper feel.

441 Has a lot more grunt than any 372 I've run but a wee bit heavy. Nice firewood saw.

460 If you aren't worried about a few vibs this saw rocks. It is a big step up from your 361.

The best suggestion offered was for the Dolmar 7900. Best power/weight. More grunt than the 460. Best bang for the buck. Just find one and run it, your decision will be made.

One interesting point....there are actually two different 372's; the 372xp and 372xpw. I now have one of each. The xpw has full wraps on it and has a bit more displacement than the 441 or 372xp at just under 75cc's. There is a noticeable torque difference between the xp and xpw. The xp is a bit "revvvier" than the 441, but the xpw is neck and neck with the 441 power wise, and handles far better, IMHO. Again, this is a sample size of one 441, one 372xp, and one 372xpw.

I agree that the 460 is the most powerful of the bunch, but will be far less comfortable to use hour after hour. If you needed to walk lots to drop really big trees, I'd go for the 460, otherwise the 372xp/xpw or 441 will be much easier on your hands and joints over extended use.

Now you sound like Troll. You really need to run one. It outcuts a 440 or 372 every time we've compared them here and nips on the heels of the 460.

Agree with everything, especially the bold.:agree2:

Now you sound like Troll. You really need to run one. It outcuts a 440 or 372 every time we've compared them here and nips on the heels of the 460.

Hmm....

Maybe with shorter bars, but the 441 and 372's all seem pretty close to me. Are you using shorter bars, i.e. 20"? I bet that these are all so near performance-wise that a slightly sharper chain and or different technique could account for any perceived output differences.

With a 28" bar ,the 441 and 372xpw power wise seem pretty close to the same, with possibly a slight edge going to the xpw. I don't race saws, so I can't say for sure, but that's what day to day cutting tells me. These all have good av, which is important for a middle aged guy like me!:cheers:

Hmm....

Maybe with shorter bars, but the 441 and 372's all seem pretty close to me. Are you using shorter bars, i.e. 20"? I bet that these are all so near performance-wise that a slightly sharper chain and or different technique could account for any perceived output differences.

With a 28" bar ,the 441 and 372xpw power wise seem pretty close to the same, with possibly a slight edge going to the xpw. I don't race saws, so I can't say for sure, but that's what day to day cutting tells me. These all have good av, which is important for a middle aged guy like me!:cheers:

I'm talking 20" and especially 28" bars. I've not run the 75cc 372, I would think it should run with the 460 due to the increased displacement. Every 372 I've run is short on grunt. It's a different powerband than Stihl for sure and you have to use such a light touch with a long bar.

I'm talking 20" and especially 28" bars. I've not run the 75cc 372, I would think it should run with the 460 due to the increased displacement. Every 372 I've run is short on grunt. It's a different powerband than Stihl for sure and you have to use such a light touch with a long bar.

The 372xpw is really nice, but it doesn't have the grunt of the 460. Both will run 32" bars, but the 460 is a bit happier with them. The 460 I owned had a dual port muffler, and was an awesome runner. I am not tied to any one brand, and happen to think that Stihl's have a slightly better build quality than that of the Huskies. The orange paint does seem to hold up better over time though!

If I was going to buy a new 372, I'd spring for the extra $30 or so and get the xpw just for the additional torque in the same powerhead.

Honestly, all of the saws he is looking are at the top quality; he really can't go wrong.

Back