Three 2-Man Disstons!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent some time today cleaning up the 2' and 4' bars. I cleaned up the 3' bar last fall. All three of the bars where completely covered with rust. These last two I cleaned up with Muratic Acid and steel wool. It's amazing how well the acid removed the rust. I also experimented with repainting the embossed Disston logo on the 2' and 3' bars. The 2' is done. I simply sprayed the logo, let it dry, and then sanded the bar to removed the excess. The embossing is just deep enough that it avoids being sanded off. The 3' bar I've applied the paint with a small brush. It's not dry yet.

Here's what they all looked like when I got them.

638405275_QsyFu-L-1.jpg

This is the logo on the 3' bar after cleaning it up.

832335889_N8iBG-L.jpg

This is the 2' bar. The embossing is a little nicer on this bar. I later did a little touchup with a small brush. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

832335593_R8ZmE-L.jpg

832335359_PLWGf-L.jpg

Here it is on the saw.

832335614_NnAE7-L.jpg

This is the 3' bar prior to sanding. Remember, the 2' bar I actually sprayed the entire area, and it cleaned up nicely.

832336010_iXnWM-L.jpg

Nice work Brad, you're soon to be the go-to guy on this restoration stuff.

I'm hoping you post threads on some of your other vintage saws, including your Malls when you get time to work those over.

I finally put it in some wood again this weekend. This was the first since being torn back down for painting. It ran like a champ. The wood is Red Oak.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M43Hrvd9xTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M43Hrvd9xTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I finally put it in some wood again this weekend. This was the first since being torn back down for painting. It ran like a champ. The wood is Red Oak.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M43Hrvd9xTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M43Hrvd9xTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice saw Brad. She sure sound good to. Lets see some more of this.

I bookmarked this thread as I acquired a DA211 myself a few months ago, and I knew it needed some work to get it going again.

This saw came from a french collector who had tinkered himself with the ignition ; it's pretty common that the coils on these saws fail.

I discovered that he modified a coil from a Stihl 08S Bosh ignition including a home made clip to fix it to the plate. I thought it to be very ingenious and on top of it, it works well. I got the saw running today without major problems.

I don't know how long this redneck engineered coil will hold, but I thougt it to be a very nice, low budget solution ...:clap:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Time to revive this thread again. The other two saws and all the parts have been laying around in my way for the last couple of years. It's time to get them done. I pulled another one from the pile and got to work on it. Everything is now clean, and the P&Cs reinstalled with new rings. Tomorrow morning I'll order new crank seals. I should have it running by the end of the week. I've got one more to go. I have enough parts to make it 95% complete. I missing a clutch drum and a spark plug cover.

1216895025_v4BCh-M.jpg

1216895180_kbGci-M.jpg

1216895379_XHGnL-M.jpg

1216895571_bkGy7-M.jpg

1216895779_XAooM-M.jpg

1216894894_YwJyH-M.jpg

Here's the 3rd and final saw, The one I'm workin on now was in the same condition. I'll be going through the left over parts and cleaning them as well. I've got new coils for all three saws, but need another set of rings for the last saw. They're a standard PN at Hastings and can have them in a day or two.
1216896166_YJj2s-M.jpg

Last edited:
One of these last two is going to turn into a Mac 797:) I'm making a trade for it, runner for runner. I will not be doing a paint job on either one of these last two, just going through them, cleaning them up, and getting them running.

I'm a latecomer to this thread, but just have to say, What a great job you've done with it!

I'm sure it would bring a tear to an oldtimer's eye to see a very mint looking saw like this again, just like Mom used to use! It looks exactly as it must have brandy new.

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Love to hear the beast run!

Tim

I agree Tim. I'm always impressed with Brad's attention to detail and his meticulous ways of doing things. I'm actually the one trading him a Mac 797 for a running DA-211. Hopefully I'll have time to post pics of it as I go.

I agree Tim. I'm always impressed with Brad's attention to detail and his meticulous ways of doing things. I'm actually the one trading him a Mac 797 for a running DA-211. Hopefully I'll have time to post pics of it as I go.

I thought you were supposed to be training;) This deal has been in the works for two years now. I've just been too burnt out to get back on these after doing the first one. They're a TON more work than a small modern saw, not to mention buried under piles of grit and grime.

Last edited:
I thought you were supposed to be training;) This deal has been in the works for two years now. I've just been too burnt out to get back on these after doing the first one. They're a TON more work than a small modern saw, not to mention buried under piles of grit and grime.

You gonna post vids of that 797, right? :blob2:

Back