Three 2-Man Disstons!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made good progress on the saw today. All of the silver parts are in the oven at 170° for a couple hours right now. When they're done, I'll put in the orange parts. All that's left to paint is the fuel tank, transmission, and handlebars.

828772377_jHFna-L.jpg

Silver high temp paint on the mufflers and clamp.
828772369_Z5Juf-L.jpg

828772170_LFhkd-L.jpg

Too bad there's a little crack in this shroud.
828772264_AoT6W-L.jpg

I used TSC implement Husqvarna orange, and "Cast finish" silver. I wasn't after the metalic finish, but it matched the color exactly. It has a flat finish, so I top coated it with Rustolem Crystal Clear enamel. It look gorgeous! The metalic silver and orange is going to look great, with such a contrast. Of course, everything was primered. Many of the parts were bead blasted clean. The big front plate was steel wooled and sanded. Same with the fuel tank. I'll paint the fuel tank and transmission tomorrow. If I'm lucky I'll get the handlebars done, and be done with the painting.

BTW, all the silver parts are out of the oven and now the orange parts are in. I left them in for 2 hours. That just helps speed up the drying time so that I can reassemble the saw.

Brad

Looking good, really good!

Can't you repair this shroud? Is it metal? Can't it be TIG welded? With such a collectors' saw, I suppose it is worth to try to repair it.

I suppose the right welder could weld it, but that sure isn't me. I considered making an epoxy patch, but feared it would just re-crack. It's held on by only three bolts, so could be removed and repaired at anytime.

Metric

Shaft - 20
Bore - 32
OD - 32.14
Width - 7

Thanks again. So here's the inch equivalent.

Shaft - 0.787"
Bore - 1.260"
OD - 1.265"
Width - 0.276"

My measurements were:

ID .7865" (crankshaft)
OD 1.2535" (housing)
Thickness .240"

This CR seal is the one used by the gentleman that restored the one I ran at the tractor show last year. This definately looks like the best fit, knowing that he was able to fit it in the housing (the only spec that looks tight).

Last edited:
I thought I had everything painted except the handlebars. I pulled the fuel tank from the over and found a bunch of tiny bumps or bubles. I don't know what would of caused it, but I'll be sanding the top surface down and repainting it.

829950607_S2r9d-L.jpg

829951284_Z2K7F-L.jpg

829950608_bsDNz-L.jpg

829950684_4hdCp-L.jpg

829950880_TPmFx-L.jpg

829950907_E87kN-L.jpg

829950977_tAhzS-L.jpg

829951197_yAore-L.jpg

It's impossible to find a chain cover/bar mounting pad for these that don't have chain rash on them. I saw two at the Pottsville Tractor Days a couple years that were real bad.

That is one sweet looking Disston. It's the "Batmobile" of saws!

That gray paint almost looks like a bead blast and clear coat finish. Disston is really looking nice.

Mr. HE:cool:

That gray paint almost looks like a bead blast and clear coat finish. Disston is really looking nice.

Mr. HE:cool:

It's supposed to look like a fresh cast finish. There was no gloss to it at all though and I didn't think it would be very durable. That's why I clearcoated it. So many paints clost to this color look like chrome. I couldn't have that.

It's supposed to look like a fresh cast finish. There was no gloss to it at all though and I didn't think it would be very durable. That's why I clearcoated it. So many paints clost to this color look like chrome. I couldn't have that.

Are you using a paint gun and mixing?...If so get some flattening additive and add it to your clear for the look you want...

Brad

The saw is becoming really nice. :jawdrop: Are you going to fire it up after the full restoration?

How did you "cook" the paint ? What temperature and for how long? Is that a "turbo" oven? Please, specify is the temp is in Centigrade of Fahrenheit.

Thanks

Brad

The saw is becoming really nice. :jawdrop: Are you going to fire it up after the full restoration?

How did you "cook" the paint ? What temperature and for how long? Is that a "turbo" oven? Please, specify is the temp is in Centigrade of Fahrenheit.

Thanks

Yes, it will be run, perhaps as soon as tomorrow.

I simply hang or set the parts in the oven and bake a 170F for 2 hours. That's the coolest my oven will go, and does not blister the paint.

I figured some people that aren't following this thread would like seeing the old girl run again, so I posted the vid in another thread as well. LINK

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rVv9ypG5-Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rVv9ypG5-Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Back