Three 2-Man Disstons!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ones that have Disston on the rear are the DA211 models. They were the most popular. The one that has Kiekhaefer on the rear is a model KA211. It was the last model made. I believe there is no difference between them other than the rear cover. I belive but I am not sure that when they went to the KA211 model it was because Kiekaefer took over the entire production.

Bill

Any idea what they might be worth Bill? What should I offer this guy, if anything?

Well, now I'm mad at myself. Looks like I've stabbed myself in the back. Mike Acres told him they're worth $500-$1000 EACH depending on condition, and probably on the higher end if they're running. I told him I couldn't give $500 a piece for them. He asked me what I would give. I honestly have no idea what they're worth since I have nothing to go by. Anyone here ever seen what one sold for? All I know is that I've only given $150 a piece for both of my Malls. Yeah, I'm bumming. I guess that's what I get for being honest, lol:)

I asked my buddy Dean, who owns three, what he thought they would be worth. He said that if they weren't locked up, but didn't run, they should be between $250-500 a piece.

Cant say that.....

if the owner doesn't know what they are worth sounds like they are stolen
are you going to check the SN#'s with the local authorities?

Some people just wanna get things outa the way outta the garage for space,,,tired of lookin at crap layin around that they have no use of....

It's like....

Some people just wanna get things outa the way outta the garage for space,,,tired of lookin at crap layin around that they have no use of....

Kim bought the sp125c for me... The man she bought it from said he wanted it outta his garage,,and didnt have any use for it...and low and behold,,,you can ask her,,he emailed her,,,awhile back wanting her to sell it back to him...He didnt know what he had...Thought it was a piece of junk layin around....

Just offer what you can for them. $150 each sounds like a good deal to me. This isn't the biggest market for saws like that either. Your knocking on this guys door. To get any where near $500 for one he would need to put so much effort into it. Were talking crates for the saws Ebay listings, people who win but don't pay on listings. The list goes on and on, for someone willing to lug those things out of my garage I would be happy with a couple of bills to fold and stuff in my back pocket.

Alain Lamothe (caporal30 here) has a real nice blog called Vintage Chainsaw Collection.

http://vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com/

"A CHAINSAW VALUE ???THE BIG QUESTION!!!!!!!!!
Chainsaw value...This is the big question no collector's want to answer since there is no real answer. Many factors can influence the price of a saw such as the overall mechanical condition of the saw, the quality of the paint and decals, the saw is a runner or can only be used for parts, parts are missing or broken to name only a few.

You cannot put a price tag on a chainsaw and if you intend to sell one dont think that you are sitting on a gold mine...........

In a collector's point of view what is the saw worth for you??? You need to figure out what it is worth to you. As a collector, i cant know that............. This could be influenced by a sentimental value, a saw that was own by a relative or selling it for a friend and more.....Only a transaction that will make both parties happy will occur if you have an idea of what you want for your saw............. otherwise it is just like buying anything. If you have a price in mind to sell a saw.........tell the buyer your asking price and only then you will find who might have an interrest and the saw may sell."

Alain"s site has a lot of great pics and history of the old saws, including Mercury / Kiekhaefer and Disston. Scroll about half-way down and in the right hand column you will see some tabs you can click on for more info. You can easily spend hours looking at everything he has posted. I do highly recommend his blog if you are in anyway into older saws and the history behind them. :cheers:

My thinking is that you can honestly say that if he was willing to invest dozens of hours into marketing them he might get $500.00. No disrespect to Mike at all but I've never seen one fetch anywhere near $1000 even in very good condition. Perhaps I have just been looking in the wrong places. Do you have any way to verify that is what Mike told him they're worth?

Mr. HE:cool:

Sounds like a great idea!!!

I believe that was the case with these until I told him about Mike Acres. Maybe I'll offer him $250/each and then turn a couple of them over on eBay to finance one as a keeper.

I love old saws Brad.....I dont know how it is in Cinncy,but here as I said,,,I never seen one of them....Can you get all 3 to make a runner,,or all 3 runs???I know cad is good,,,I been going nuts to get me another big Mcc...But you dont wanna door stop.....Thats the way I am with all my saws.....I'm not tryin to give ya a hard time Bro....And hope you understand what I'm sayin...

I love old saws Brad.....I dont know how it is in Cinncy,but here as I said,,,I never seen one of them....Can you get all 3 to make a runner,,or all 3 runs???I know cad is good,,,I been going nuts to get me another big Mcc...But you dont wanna door stop.....Thats the way I am with all my saws.....I'm not tryin to give ya a hard time Bro....And hope you understand what I'm sayin...

I'm going to assume that they could all be made to run. They are complete and have been stored indoors. I'm seriously considering offering him $500 for the lot of them. Call me a cheapskate if you like, but you never know what you have until you tear into them.

The 211 the neighbor has that I told you about Brad...it was the head only, no bar, no run...probably wanted around $50 for it., as well as the Mall... He has never called me back...None of the 3 saws I looked at ran, the Super 33 was missing dawgs/logo plate.

Good price Brad....

I'm going to assume that they could all be made to run. They are complete and have been stored indoors. I'm seriously considering offering him $500 for the lot of them. Call me a cheapskate if you like, but you never know what you have until you tear into them.

Your not a cheapskate at all....Thats a good offer....

Many times I've found that if you are upfront and honest and explain that you're taking a risk on the deal people will work with you. If he thinks he has a gold mine he won't bite and you may get another shot at them months from now when he still hasen't sold them. Or he may sell them and you'll find another deal. We have old saws available regularly around here and now that I know you're looking I'll keep my eyes open if this deal doesn't bear fruit.

Mr. HE:cool:

I think $500 is more than a fair offer...

The 211 I have came from local auction for $20.00 plus another $10.00 I believe for a disston electric sharpener. Brad just be aware that if you need coils they are probably close to $75.00 a piece. Also would hate to try and find chain for one, mine has 3/4" probably a 10 ft. loop.

I would have looked at those pics, researched them and waved $200 cash under his nose. The smell of money is like catnip to most people.

I lowball folks so badly they don't know what hit 'em. They just stand there with their mouth open, watching their pride and joy leave in the back of my truck.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Back