Three 2-Man Disstons!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd make an offer of $150 per unit. Providing they were not locked up. Explain that you will be inspecting them before handing over money and are only interested in those that are complete and rebuild able.

If he's willing to put alot of time marketing, effort to clean up, effort/money into crating and shipping...over the course of time I'm sure he could get 250-500 each.

After he deals with the general public calling him at all hours of the day/night/weekend, making appointments to come look at the saws and either not show up or show up days before/after the scheduled time...requests to e-mail pictures of the wobble rod (have to be sure they are in good condition ya know), 500 offers from some guy in Africa that would like you to consider the items sold he just needs you full name, address, phone number, social security number, date of birth, so he can send you a check and then have his shippers pick up the items...

After a few weeks of that, I'm sure he'll come back and accept your reasonable offer :)

Please dont get mad at me sayin this.....

In my eyes,,the 090 that you got ,,and outta all the saws you got this year,,,,that something alot of us dream about.....For Stihl fans,,thats a saw alot of us know we cant ever get,,but would love and always enjoy to see it run....I wouldnt feel bad about the offer of 500.00,,but that would be it....Man,,,you gotta lot of good saws in your stall...If he wount take your offer,,dont feel bad...I'd pass cause I think thats a good honest offer...Your 090...How ya gonna top that Bro???

I would have looked at those pics, researched them and waved $200 cash under his nose. The smell of money is like catnip to most people.

I lowball folks so badly they don't know what hit 'em. They just stand there with their mouth open, watching their pride and joy leave in the back of my truck.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Damn you and I might be related :)

I just emailed him offer for $500 for the lot. I told him I could give him cash tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'm definately willing to risk $167/each since they've been stored indoors. We'll see what happens.

Good luck!!!

Hope you get em!!! Brad...As I said,here in my parts,,,central and the eastern part of Ky....Unless you get on AS,,,alot of people dont know what your talking about,,,cause mostly the older generation that used them is long gone...I been lucky cause of my Dad and Grandpa that was all hardcore Mcculloch,,,I been in the woods and going on 47 years old coming next month..I wrote in a thread along back about how my Dad switched to a Stihl,,and I was in my teens and got so pissed at him...Now with all the new saws that is comin out each day,,,yeah,,,it might be easy to cut a tree down,,limb it up,,but my friend.....I guess sometime alot of people think a saw is just a object....
It isnt....You have good luck and get them,,you prob. will have a many years that gone by with the men that held them saws...Sometime ya wonder who was the person behind that saw....It's as each of us goin out in the woods to just get away for a time of peice,,and enjoy what we do....

I just emailed him offer for $500 for the lot. I told him I could give him cash tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'm definately willing to risk $167/each since they've been stored indoors. We'll see what happens.
Probably more than fair for both of you. For him it's no work, and for you there's probably time and/or parts to get them going nicely...

Disston didn't manufacture their chainsaws, so the one without their name is an example. They had several products they didn't manufacture. They certainly were one big marketing machine...;)

Don't worry....the guy may act stupid but he is no fool...before giving them away he will make lots of phone calls and he will get a ball figure price......at this moment ...could even be readind this thread....:confused:
I for myself only buy complete saws since i run them all and i can tell you that Kiekhaefer parts are not an easy task to locate.
Just the coil units are worth $50 each and you don't even know the internal condition of the engine.
Collectible...Yes but be ready to spend some money.
Historically speaking, Kiekhaefer made engines for water pumps, outboard motors....The chainsaw saga started when Carl Elmer Kiekhaefer made an association with John Henry Disston to supply bar/chain to win a military contract .....the KB6AX/KB6AY was born .....Mass produced, it later sold to the public adding a twin skin ribbon filter element and a muffler unit to the engine. The DA211 was the last 2 man saw made by Kiekhaefer before a last attempt with the models DO100/101 which turned to be a complete failure with unreliable engines with poor performance.....and eventually under conspiration the company was sold for 30 millions to Brunswick corporation(pool tables/bowling alleys) up to these days under the Mercury brand.... The chainsaw business was dropped and the initial motorboat business kept the company alive winning many speed records still unbeaten today.
90Hp drones engines were also produced by Mercury and more than 200 patents.
I am presently in touch with Fred Kiekhaefer president of Mercury under the Brunswick umbrella and are exchanging emails about the Kiekhaefer Empire ...the legacy of his father Carl Elmer K.

Alain,
www.vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Brad, I hope they meet your expectations and that you both walk away happy. I have the hardest time offering money to anyone for anything. I don't want to offend, take advantage of, or be taken advantage of. There is a 1972 Bronco 4x4, 302 with three on the tree about a mile from my house. The guy who owns it is the original owner. It's uncut (the fenders) and in fairly nice shape, all original, paint, the works. I've been after it for years now with no luck. It's now to the point of getting "too far gone", and he won't come off of it. It sits outside, well, you know the story. He wants a bucket load of cash, and to some it may be worth it. However, it needs to be gone through from stem to stern. I leave business cards, holiday cards, and stop to speak with him three times a year. I guess what I'm saying is that if it's meant to be, it will. For your sake, I hope it is, because it sounds like you really want them. Best of luck, Max.

If he doesn't jump on the offer, you can play the I will get them running for you card...Tell him you will be fair w/ the labor as long as you got the saw of choice for the the repair of the other 2 saws...Even if you have to list and sell them for him and split the money...I don't see them being hard to sell, but I don't see you getting $500-$1000 for them...

If he doesn't jump on the offer, you can play the I will get them running for you card...Tell him you will be fair w/ the labor as long as you got the saw of choice for the the repair of the other 2 saws...Even if you have to list and sell them for him and split the money...I don't see them being hard to sell, but I don't see you getting $500-$1000 for them...

Naah. Way too much time and labor involved in restoring saws to do it for someone else. It's a labor of love and not worth it if it doesn't go into my collection. Reapiring saws is one thing, restoration is another.

Naah. Way too much time and labor involved in restoring saws to do it for someone else. It's a labor of love and not worth it if it doesn't go into my collection. Reapiring saws is one thing, restoration is another.

Didn't say anything about restoring or repairing...

Okay I lied, I did mention repair...

Last edited:
Brad if your are going to Findlay this weekend you might consider a side trip to Gibsonburg. Over the weekend they have a tractor show and there is usually a gentleman with an saw display. He runs a DA211 for demos. He might be a contact for locating parts.

500$ for all three is a fair price, I wouldn't go any higher. I couldn't see any two man saws unless in pristine condition going for over 500$ a piece.

Brad, I hope they meet your expectations and that you both walk away happy. I have the hardest time offering money to anyone for anything. I don't want to offend, take advantage of, or be taken advantage of. There is a 1972 Bronco 4x4, 302 with three on the tree about a mile from my house. The guy who owns it is the original owner. It's uncut (the fenders) and in fairly nice shape, all original, paint, the works. I've been after it for years now with no luck. It's now to the point of getting "too far gone", and he won't come off of it. It sits outside, well, you know the story. He wants a bucket load of cash, and to some it may be worth it. However, it needs to be gone through from stem to stern. I leave business cards, holiday cards, and stop to speak with him three times a year. I guess what I'm saying is that if it's meant to be, it will. For your sake, I hope it is, because it sounds like you really want them. Best of luck, Max.

Been thru that scene many times myself....still waiting on a deal that a buddy and I are trying to go in on, been 3 yrs. running...a pair of Jeep CJ2's, no frame rot, bodies not bad, but keep hearing the "I'm gonna fix 'em up someday" line...

Still no word from the seller on my offer. I'm dying to call him or send him another email. But my better judgement tells me I should let him soak on it for a while. I don't want to appear too anxious, even though I am:)

Latest posts

Back