Three 2-Man Disstons!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, there is one for sale locally here. Guy says it runs good, nothing missing and everything works. He's asking $350 and I think its been for sale for a while now.

Brad, there is one for sale locally here. Guy says it runs good, nothing missing and everything works. He's asking $350 and I think its been for sale for a while now.

Is there a link to a web listing for it? I could send that to this guy I'm trying to buy from.

I've been told that the average for a good running DA-211 would probably be around $325. I have no idea where Mike acres came up with $500-$1000. It would take a lot of hours of work to get any where near that out of these saws from what I'm hearing.

Last night a Kiekhaefer sold for only $87, non running. LINK. Here's the only other one I've found, and is only at $152. LINK.

Look at the one inside the cover of "the" book: "Chainsaws, a History"...That one would definitely fetch $500-$1K.

Still no word from the seller on my offer. I'm dying to call him or send him another email. But my better judgement tells me I should let him soak on it for a while. I don't want to appear too anxious, even though I am:)

First one to speak, loses :)

On the other hand, if you wait to long, someone else might find him and offer $515...

What was the guys name?

:biggrinbounce2:

I've thought about sending him a link to this thread so that he knows I'm not just blowing him smoke. Then one of you guys will be the one to offer him $515:)

I would be pretty surprised if he hasn't already seen it, as you said that he e-mailed the chap off acresinternet that shows he has a computer and anyone doing a search with "2 Man Disstons" as keywords in Google gets THIS result.

The keywords that he will most likely use take him right here because aboristsite is so highly ranked on Google.

No. I told him about Mike Acres only hoping to find out what model he had. I didn't have pictures yet. My friend that put him in contact with me said he would never be on this board. He's not into chainsaws at all.

Is there a link to a web listing for it? I could send that to this guy I'm trying to buy from.

I've been told that the average for a good running DA-211 would probably be around $325. I have no idea where Mike acres came up with $500-$1000. It would take a lot of hours of work to get any where near that out of these saws from what I'm hearing.

Last night a Kiekhaefer sold for only $87, non running. LINK. Here's the only other one I've found, and is only at $152. LINK.

There are a lot of collectors that only do the two man saws. There are more than a few in Ohio that would probably offer over $1000.00 for the group if they are complete but not running. For non-runners but complete $300.00+ seems to be typical for the more desirable. If they run and are usable, $500.00+ would fairly typical. Those saws are not all that rare around here and the collectors in the area seem to know that. The are many other 2 man saws that fetch bigger dollars than the mercs around here. Typically to get near the $1000.00 mark the saw needs to be very clean and in ready to cut wood condition.

You would be stealing from him to offer less than $300.00 each if they are in good operation condtion but not runners.

The one for $87 was a very good deal if it is what the seller said it is. It was missing some expensive parts though. The muffler is a tough item to find as they were just light metal and rusted away. It is not essential though as the first models did not even have them. The next issue is the bar. The saw cannot be used until that is addressed. The person will have to either find a Mac helper handle or a Merc-Disston bar and helper handle. In the pictures it looks like the saw has the later model gear box so it will need the late model open faced bar.

As for the other KB7 well only time will tell with that one.

Bill

There are a lot of collectors that only do the two man saws. There are more than a few in Ohio that would probably offer over $1000.00 for the group if they are complete but not running. For non-runners but complete $300.00+ seems to be typical for the more desirable. If they run and are usable, $500.00+ would fairly typical. Those saws are not all that rare around here and the collectors in the area seem to know that. The are many other 2 man saws that fetch bigger dollars than the mercs around here. Typically to get near the $1000.00 mark the saw needs to be very clean and in ready to cut wood condition.

You would be stealing from him to offer less than $300.00 each if they are in good operation condtion but not runners.

It's obvious the opinions vary a lot. Only time will tell. Obviously I'd be willing to spend more on just one as a keeper for myself, than I would be as investment risks. Their mechanical condition is completely unknown at this point.

Look them over very carefully. Like all of the saws that people deem "rare" any parts that might be required are most likely going to be hard to find and very expensive. I do not collect Disstons but the folks that I have met that do are willing to spend waaaaayyyyy more money on parts than I am.

Been thru that scene many times myself....still waiting on a deal that a buddy and I are trying to go in on, been 3 yrs. running...a pair of Jeep CJ2's, no frame rot, bodies not bad, but keep hearing the "I'm gonna fix 'em up someday" line...

I feel your pain. Good vintage tin is hard to find and it seems like the line is always the same, "I'll get to it someday....." If it is available, it has a premium price tag. I found a 1965 Belvedere II with a 426 wedge, not a hemi, 4 speed, the works. Original owners, paperwork, low miles, going through a divorce late in life, and she's pulled it out and is letting it sit in the elements. Extra nice car, all original, but now it's starting to deteriorate. I offered too much and scared her, I just know it. I check in and she says her son's will get to it. One is in jail, and so on. Just really is a downer to see a piece of history waste away. Same story on a 5.0 Mercury Capri RS I tried to get a few years ago. Best of luck on the Jeeps, hopefully they will come through for you and your buddy.

I'd wait him out if he declines your offer.

If he doesn't take your offer, give him your contact info, like he already doesn't have it, and tell him to contact you if he doesn't get a better offer.

Yes, I'd be kicking myself too if I provided someone selling something that I wanted a source of appraising! However, what's done is done.....

There will be others.

What would your max dollar amount be for one of them?

I wonder if he emailed Mike the pics? Have you talked to Mike?

From the items in the background in this pic, he has a few other older items too. I wonder how much stuff he has from his dad's estate? I wonder how long he's been tired of his dad collecting stuff? Just some thoughts...

Are these saws two cylinders?

Dan

attachment.php

Alain Lamothe (caporal30 here) has a real nice blog called Vintage Chainsaw Collection.

http://vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com/

"A CHAINSAW VALUE ???THE BIG QUESTION!!!!!!!!!
Chainsaw value...This is the big question no collector's want to answer since there is no real answer. Many factors can influence the price of a saw such as the overall mechanical condition of the saw, the quality of the paint and decals, the saw is a runner or can only be used for parts, parts are missing or broken to name only a few.

You cannot put a price tag on a chainsaw and if you intend to sell one dont think that you are sitting on a gold mine...........

In a collector's point of view what is the saw worth for you??? You need to figure out what it is worth to you. As a collector, i cant know that............. This could be influenced by a sentimental value, a saw that was own by a relative or selling it for a friend and more.....Only a transaction that will make both parties happy will occur if you have an idea of what you want for your saw............. otherwise it is just like buying anything. If you have a price in mind to sell a saw.........tell the buyer your asking price and only then you will find who might have an interrest and the saw may sell."

Alain"s site has a lot of great pics and history of the old saws, including Mercury / Kiekhaefer and Disston. Scroll about half-way down and in the right hand column you will see some tabs you can click on for more info. You can easily spend hours looking at everything he has posted. I do highly recommend his blog if you are in anyway into older saws and the history behind them. :cheers:

All I can say is WOW!

I feel your pain. Good vintage tin is hard to find and it seems like the line is always the same, "I'll get to it someday....." If it is available, it has a premium price tag. I found a 1965 Belvedere II with a 426 wedge, not a hemi, 4 speed, the works. Original owners, paperwork, low miles, going through a divorce late in life, and she's pulled it out and is letting it sit in the elements. Extra nice car, all original, but now it's starting to deteriorate. I offered too much and scared her, I just know it. I check in and she says her son's will get to it. One is in jail, and so on. Just really is a downer to see a piece of history waste away. Same story on a 5.0 Mercury Capri RS I tried to get a few years ago. Best of luck on the Jeeps, hopefully they will come through for you and your buddy.
`

Yeah, back at 'ya...I love those old Belvederes/Furys....no sweat if the Jeeps fall thru...have a '72 Cutlass Supreme ragtop to play with.

Back