Throwbag nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I get it up there I'm pretty good at isolating.

I'll have to get the bow and arrow out again, the bow is home made from surinam cherry, with an old spinning reel on the front with 6lb test on it...

So what size trees do you think justifies the expense of a big shot?

Maybe I should just go practice and stop whinging:cheers:

I'll have to get the bow and arrow out again, the bow is home made from surinam cherry, with an old spinning reel on the front with 6lb test on it...

Tried a bow & arrow - works but bulky - 6lb test is not enough! Be aware, some locations consider a bow & arrow a weapon.

Use a Big Shot on anything higher than you can throw -but it's bulky, too.

Tried a sling shot, spinning reel, 80lb Spectra line, good up to about 60ft - small but NOT as good as a Big Shot (80ft+)

I practice with the throwbag about once a week or so. If I get to lazy to take the bag off in-between shots I practice climbing sometimes as well.

Actually, lol, I was thinking of making one for grins ... Don't tell me you've done it!!!

:blob2:

Saw a guy recently use a spud gun to launch his throwbag. Worked pretty well for him. Course he used an air pump instead of the hairspray and igniter method I grew up with. Probably more repeatable.

Gee that is a tough one. But we have one on each of the trucks, so it really does not matter I guess about the size of the tree. It is there if you want to use it. (I have one in my Dodge diesel as well - in tool box behind cab)

Kudo's for the bow and arrow. I can imagine the emergency call for the crazy woman shooting arrows at my neighbours tree!

I use both Bigshot and throw bag. Bigshot is good for punching holes through dense canopy or for exact straight line throws. It is my preferred weapon for inserting a false crotch over Washingtonia palms. The throw bag on the other hand is quicker to set up. I hate not being able to do something well so I confess I have put in a fair bit of practise this year. Now it only takes 99 to get in the right crotch.

I saw this wristrocket type sling shot that was meant to shoot tennis balls for a dog to retrieve, it was 20 bucks. I thought it might be good for for short shots with the shot bag cause the big shot tends to really put it up there.
I was with the wife and kid and they kept handing me other stuff to hold and I eventually put it down to rest for a second. I forgot to pic it back up when in line to check out but was to weary from those two to care anymore so I didn't get it.
There is a lot of accuracy with a sling shot so I thought it would be good to try. Also sometimes you are on a hill and its hard to throw in tight quarters.

Speaking of tight shots, how close have you come to breaking stuff with a throw bag cos you put too much oomph into it? I have had a couple of close calls with roof tiles and once I thought for sure I had broken a solar panel. Gratefully no damage but those 16oz bags really pack a punch.

But look at it this way Bermie... you had throwball issues, in BERMUDA!

Life is good!

Well yes there is that!!!

Although today its blowing about 35kn, straight in to the bay, I'm stuck on the island where I live...no throwbags to go and practice with, a new job waiting to be seen, and 'oh no!' its CHILLY! It must be what like 60*!

I'm going to go cook up a mess of bacon and eggs and watch TV...hmmm, what's that white stuff on the ground over in the US of A? ..SNOW!...oh boy, I feel better now:):)

Ham radio

Do a search for antenna launchers. The ham radio folks have developed some nice pneumatic tennis ball launchers to set up wires for emergency radio transmission.

Some of these launchers look really cool and turn out to be cheaper than a big shot. Whether they work as well or not, I don't know.

Do a search for antenna launchers. The ham radio folks have developed some nice pneumatic tennis ball launchers to set up wires for emergency radio transmission.

Some of these launchers look really cool and turn out to be cheaper than a big shot. Whether they work as well or not, I don't know.

Do they look like a bazooka? Cos after the 911 call about Bermie with a bow and arrow I cant wait for what happens when the nice old lady next door sees her shoulder the launcher and let rip!

Do they look like a bazooka? Cos after the 911 call about Bermie with a bow and arrow I cant wait for what happens when the nice old lady next door sees her shoulder the launcher and let rip!

Ha ha...now THAT would be cool!
Although maybe to police would hire me to take out the gangstas that are shooting each other with disturbing regularity...hi viz and all, side line in pest control...

Next time I get a chance I'll get a picture of the bow...the arrow was the tip of an old spinning rod, with a weight in the nose, it worked really well, till I lost it during one of my cleanout sessions of the back of the van...we used the 6lb line to pull up the throwline, then my climbing line, my hubby could hit a 6" gap up about 60' no problem.
the new arrow is a regular aluminum target arrow, haven't tried it yet...hence my lamentations over a throwbag...

Ha ha...now THAT would be cool!
Although maybe to police would hire me to take out the gangstas that are shooting each other with disturbing regularity...hi viz and all, side line in pest control...

Next time I get a chance I'll get a picture of the bow...the arrow was the tip of an old spinning rod, with a weight in the nose, it worked really well, till I lost it during one of my cleanout sessions of the back of the van...we used the 6lb line to pull up the throwline, then my climbing line, my hubby could hit a 6" gap up about 60' no problem.
the new arrow is a regular aluminum target arrow, haven't tried it yet...hence my lamentations over a throwbag...

Now that would make for a cool video. Who would be Robin of Loxley and who would be the fair maid Marian?

For that matter, who would be Guy of Gisbourne??

For me the call for the bigshot is when it is a high throw with a steep angle. I will make a try or three before giving in. Of course with me i need a pole assembly that no-one else can use, and ones that others use is a bit too short.

Danger close for me is when I have to shoot towards distribution lines. I've had a few moments of pucker retrieving a line draped partially over primaries. Not sure what would happen if i closed primaries while holding on to the line :eek:

60*F coming off the bay? Sounds darn right balmy, it is ~25* and overcast right now, though the wind is near calm.

Well you couldn't quite call me a swooning damsel in distress...

As for the wx...I'm going to get a white Christmas...heading to Boston tomorrow!

What timing... yesterday I was at the local WM and saw a wrist rocket bungie replacement kit. I have a wrist rocket slingshot from my youth and thought I'd try it out. I ended up using a round 4 oz fishing weight and 50 lb test that I got over a few branches successfully. Ended up trying it on a little higher crotch and got it hung up. Definately worth trying some more but really have to watch out for the coming down part with the fishing weight.

I plan to try it with some zingit because the fishing line seemed catchy on the pine branches.

Back