Throwbag nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we have all had days like that with the throw line(s). It won't help with the throw, but tying a bowline in the end, so as to leave a loop about the length of your throw bag sure speeds up the process of bag removal, rope attachment, and bag re-attachment. You just poke the loop through the bag ring and drop the bag through the loop. Makes it easy to attach to the end of your rope also. :cheers:

Last edited:
Not even going to ask :)

But anybody with this had best have Ghost Busters on side of their trucks !

YEAH!!! Can you imagine the groundies rollin' around on the ground laughin' if you showed up with one of those? ... and a tire pump?
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Speaking of tight shots, how close have you come to breaking stuff with a throw bag cos you put too much oomph into it? I have had a couple of close calls with roof tiles and once I thought for sure I had broken a solar panel. Gratefully no damage but those 16oz bags really pack a punch.

Just so happens I have a nice dent in the hood of my car from a throwbag. :eek:Bermie that first post is really comical. I've looked at junipers and wondered how do you get up in them. Especially pertaining to the throwline. Lots of spiney branches.

I am not much different than the rest on here, some throws are right on. But others might take a half hour to get a branch I want. The bigshot isn't always a better way. You can sometimes blow a lot of profit with the throwbag.

Just so happens I have a nice dent in the hood of my car from a throwbag. :eek:Bermie that first post is really comical. I've looked at junipers and wondered how do you get up in them. Especially pertaining to the throwline. Lots of spiney branches.

I am not much different than the rest on here, some throws are right on. But others might take a half hour to get a branch I want. The bigshot isn't always a better way. You can sometimes blow a lot of profit with the throwbag.

With our junipers a good sized one is nice and stable and spreading, so I can usually climb freely ( I use that term advisedly) up to the TIP set the cambium saver and go to work, but you are right they are FULL of twigs and brush and on a big one here it is not uncommon for at least half of it to be dead, and the dead wood is as hard as nails and every little twiglet leaves a bruise or a scratch, but the upside is at the end of the day, by gum you smell some kinda nice with all that aromatic sawdust all over you!
This one had a thorny vine all around the base and about 8-10' of clear trunk before the first branch and I didn't have a ladder with me.

csv19.jpg

The thing with setting a long-wire or dipole is that you really don't need to get a good crotch. I've seen hams just throw a line up anywhere (my dad has had a license for 65 years) that thing does not look line it is good for aiming.

Then again, Jerry B. uses a spud gun to set lines in the truly big trees he works in.

The thing with setting a long-wire or dipole is that you really don't need to get a good crotch. I've seen hams just throw a line up anywhere (my dad has had a license for 65 years) that thing does not look line it is good for aiming.

Then again, Jerry B. uses a spud gun to set lines in the truly big trees he works in.

When I was researching Antenna Launchers, I found one homemade 'cannon' with a RIFLE SCOPE. So, I guess they can be fairly accurate.

To the OP: A little trick I use in a crowded crown is to throw the line just above the limb I want - then use some 'tricks' I've practiced to isolate the crotch below - it's been pretty reliable and fairly quick.

There aren't any "truly big trees" around here. So, a TIP at 60ft or less has always been sufficient. A "Wrist Rocket" type slingshot/spinning reel is small, quite accurate and has proven to be plenty good enough to set a good working TIP. Besides, HO's think the slingshot is cool.

Still though, that being said, it'd be fun to build an air cannon - if only to launch tennis balls for the dogs.

BTW, it's really interesting to read that "Jerry B. uses a spud gun."

Last edited:
Well this has been a fun thread, taking off just now, at the airport heading for the snowy US of A...harness is packed, cause I might meet up with some of the Boston gang....SUCH a treegeek!

Merry Christmas and Happy New year everyone, stay safe and may your stockings be stuffed with all that cool treegear you have been wishing for!!:clap::clap:

What technique are you throwing with?

I'm sure you have experimented, but what method are you throwing the weight with? One hand or two? I can't hit diddly using just one hand. On the other hand (literally), I caught a macaw by the foot last year tossing with the weight cradled between both hands.

I cradle the weight between two hands, and toss on about the 3rd swing. I have found that I am actually a bit more accurate when I don't let the string cradle get too long. I saw a video of Murphy and he was using about 3 feet of string, just barely off off the ground, so apparently different people have better luck with widely different throwing methods. I tried the long string method, and all I did was miss an easy target.

All methods should work as its just lobbing something in the air in different ways (some goofier looking than others!):)

The one common factor: Spot your target, and do not take your eyes off of it. It may sound remedial, but truly focus on not letting your eyes leave the exact spot you want to hit...

It's amazing how the human body works, the ball has no othe place to go!

Take a seemigly normal sane person ( no, not me silly) and give that person a little yellow string with a ball tied to one end and watch what happens.
They will try to tell you need therapy, they will say " calm down", they do not understand. They won't or don't even try to throw it themselves but if they do that is sure going to be a whole lot funnier.
Once I took a free hand shot, it was good. While the ball was in flight a guy pulled into the driveway where the ball was going to land. He was in a convertable Mustang, he got out and went inside, just as the door closed the ball came to a stop, dangling about 2 feet right over the driver's seat.

The one common factor: Spot your target, and do not take your eyes off of it. It may sound remedial, but truly focus on not letting your eyes leave the exact spot you want to hit...

What i do is look at the target, then my hand and look back and forth a few times, then I visualize the ball arcing over the chosen limb. Works quite often. :laugh:

I look at the target, then at my hand, then at down to see if my fly is open, then I visualize Bernie Kosar throwing the throw bag in a wobbly spiral, then I think of the good old days when Cleveland still had a football team, then I curse Art Modell and go to the truck for the Big Shot.
Phil

What i do is look at the target, then my hand and look back and forth a few times, then I visualize the ball arcing over the chosen limb. Works quite often. :laugh:

This may sound funny, but I personally take it as hard truth. Maybe its about the concentration, I tell throwers that sometimes you have to will it over. As unusual as it sounds, a weighted projectile lobbing through a fork is an extension of your mind. Just before your throw, take an extra couple seconds and think to yourself, "Concentrate Grasshoppa." :laugh:
When I do a casual throw on a relatively easy target, taking it for granted that its an easy peasy, I'll miss that sucker far more often than a more difficult throw where I'm focussed with intent.

So what size trees do you think justifies the expense of a big shot?
Like any piece of good gear, you quickly forget about the money spent and enjoy the benefits the gear brings.

BTW, my personal crossover range between throw vs bigshot is about 40 feet.
I've thrown and nailed much higher, but I'm usually kinda surprised.

With the bigshot, the accuracy I just find astounding, especially, like John Paul says, when the shot is really steep and really high.

The pic here was a tough shot, I mean tough getting the shot, not in the tree, but with the camera, one hand pulling and the other hand on the camera not being able to see the monitor.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back