@#*^@# tick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using K9 Advantix and it works very well on our local ticks. I know because I neglected to apply it one month and by the end of the month my dog was coming out of the woods with ticks every day. Bought and applied it and the ticks ceased to be a problem immediately.

Another benefit is that it doesn't require a Rx. I don't remember how much it costs but I think it's around $50.

Last edited:
Add a teaspoon of chopped garlic to your dogs food every other day. Once its extablished in their system fleas, ticks, and mosquitos wont be as interested in biting. We've done this for the last 8 years and its been effective. I do use Bio-spot monthly also.

Dave

Except garlic is toxic to dogs (so are onions). We tried garlic before we knew about the toxic effect, and it did not work. We breeded and raised livestock guardian dogs. They were very large dogs (Great Pyr. crosses) and had anywhere between 8 and 20 dogs at any one time. I also raised 50 different types of garlic there, and sold over 300 pounds a year. The ex and I ate tons of garlic, and always reeked of the stuff. She still got bitten by ticks all the time. I never did.

Read the last line of the article. Garlic would needto be consumed in large quantities. I know about onions. I know ALOT of fellow rawfeeders who suplement with garlic and Ive never heard of any problems on this front.

Dave

Yah, but why feed your dog poison? Makes no sence to me, and we quit feeding them any onions or garlic (I used to cook for the dogs a lot).

Lots of good info guys and we have tried some of the stuff, better off fighting the ticks than giving her garlic, she can run ya plum outa the room with her noxious gas cloud. We have 10 acres mostly wooded surrounded by woods, crp and fields. Anything short of napalm is outa the question. Our little pug thinks he is a farm dog so he goes eveywhere the big dog goes, if he ever figures out he is small he will be heartbroken, but at least he is short haired and they are easyer to see sooner. I shot a coyote in mid march last year and that poor bastage was eat plum up, think he was the animal version of a kamikaze, had to be in misery.

C.B.

Do they like eating them? O/w tablets were impossible with our dogs.
My dog hated taking pills and I hated shoving my hand down his throat giving them to him. Then I discovered a trick. He was good about catching food thrown at him, but if I wrapped a pill in it he would catch it, fiddle around with it in his mouth a bit, then spit it out. But then I discovered the rapid fire technique. If you teach him that the treats are coming fast and furious they will instantly swallow whatever is in their mouth to make room for what's coming. Works like a charm.

I eat garlic and onion like its going out of style, and still get attacked by mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers. Only thing that works for me is DEET.

Is spring here? Damn, I wasnt clear if winter had actually come...

Would this mean that you don't like mosquitos either.lol

http://www.pestproducts.com/mosquito_control.htm

With two youngin's, I have to try and keep a no fly zone from driveway to the front door during the skeeter season. Otherwise, their heads will look like a pickle in short order. Permethrin has been my pesticide of choice.....You can spray it on clothing if you like, with the right concentration, and will work like DEET. If fact, just read up on it and you can find it in the
AG dept for treating cows from flys, etc.

I have found it over in the termite, ant control section with a stronger concentration. 10% vs .03% over in the AG.

Fleas and ticks don't like permethrin either.

Combine this with an Mosquito 86, and the kids can even find the trampoline during the summer.....
mosquito 86.......... http://www.mosquito86.com/

http://www.mosquito86.com/images/M86AGENTE-Safetysheet.pdf

I used to raise chickens and when we had about a dozen free ranging egg layers we didn't hardly have any ticks at all. Of course every flower was picked clean, landscaping was shredded, chicken crap all over the place, garden was picked over, and eggs showed up in the wildest places. But hey,,, no ticks.:)

I used to raise chickens and when we had about a dozen free ranging egg layers we didn't hardly have any ticks at all. Of course every flower was picked clean, landscaping was shredded, chicken crap all over the place, garden was picked over, and eggs showed up in the wildest places. But hey,,, no ticks.:)

brewers yeast

Do they like eating them? O/w tablets were impossible with our dogs.

Well we have been giving ours tablets since they were little. They think it's a treat. My mom buys brewers yeast in powder form and puts it in their food. 1 tsp for two dogs.:)

http://www.pestproducts.com/mosquito_control.htm

With two youngin's, I have to try and keep a no fly zone from driveway to the front door during the skeeter season. Otherwise, their heads will look like a pickle in short order. Permethrin has been my pesticide of choice.....You can spray it on clothing if you like, with the right concentration, and will work like DEET. If fact, just read up on it and you can find it in the
AG dept for treating cows from flys, etc.

I have found it over in the termite, ant control section with a stronger concentration. 10% vs .03% over in the AG.

Fleas and ticks don't like permethrin either.

Combine this with an Mosquito 86, and the kids can even find the trampoline during the summer.....
mosquito 86.......... http://www.mosquito86.com/

http://www.mosquito86.com/images/M86AGENTE-Safetysheet.pdf

Permethrin is great stuff. You can and should only spray it on clothing. You have to let it set for several hours before wearing the clothes too. I find it in aerosol cans with all the other bug repellents in the sporting goods dept. at Wal-Mart. Works like a charm for deer hunting. No smell to it at all. I even spray it on my hat, gloves and headnet. The mosqitos just do a fly by and then leave.

Be careful around pets. Its also widely used in horse fly spray. We had one of the cats that stays in the barn start acting drunk. It staggered around then couldn't hardly move. Took it to the vet and he asked if we had any permethrin products near by. Cat finally recovered after two days but the vet said they usually die.

Permethrin is great stuff. You can and should only spray it on clothing if labeled for human use. You have to let it set for several hours before wearing the clothes too. I find it in aerosol cans with all the other bug repellents in the sporting goods dept. at Wal-Mart. Works like a charm for deer hunting. No smell to it at all. I even spray it on my hat, gloves and headnet. The mosqitos just do a fly by and then leave.

Be careful around pets. Its also widely used in horse fly spray. We had one of the cats that stays in the barn start acting drunk. It staggered around then couldn't hardly move. Took it to the vet and he asked if we had any permethrin products near by. Cat finally recovered after two days but the vet said they usually die.

Correcting my previous post. The edit function seems to not be working right now.

I eat garlic and onion like its going out of style, and still get attacked by mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers. Only thing that works for me is DEET.

Is spring here? Damn, I wasnt clear if winter had actually come...

You have that right. I have a case of Deep Woods Off DEET spray in the shop. I also have maybe 20 pounds of garlic left from this year. I sold over 200 pounds of seed garlic that I grew last year.

Latest posts

Back