Tilton Equipment no longer Distributing Jonsered Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These bars have been available thru Tiltons private label TOTAL catalogue labeled TOTAL, or the same bar labeled JONSERED. Same part #s for each, just different prefix letter--T for total, J for jonsered

Tilton Equipment :: Total Super Bars

As long as Tilton still carries the Total bars they will be available. They are separate from Jonsered. Jonsered branded bars may be discontinued though.

As long as Tilton still carries the Total bars they will be available. They are separate from Jonsered.

Does Total manufacture their own stuff (bars, chains, sprockets, etc.), or is this stuff made for them by contractors / private labeled by other companies? Anyone know?

Thanks.

Philbert

Does Total manufacture their own stuff (bars, chains, sprockets, etc.), or is this stuff made for them by contractors / private labeled by other companies? Anyone know?

Thanks.

Philbert

Made by Tsumura and imported/distributed under the Total brand by Tilton. That is a lot of "T" companies.

Got my letter today. Tilton will be distributing parts and wholegoods they have in stock until mid Feburary. Called them on backorder status of a few part numbers and was told they had just recieved another parts order and would be filling parts orders until the transition was over. sounded like wholegoods orders would be filled with remaining stock-No more saws being shipped....................

As long as Tilton still carries the Total bars they will be available. They are separate from Jonsered. Jonsered branded bars may be discontinued though.

Long term though...

A. The price of total bars is probably going to go up. I assume a large portion of the bars that they supplied were those which were ultimately silk screened with jonsered and prepacked with saws...unless they were in fact just ordered separately by dealers one way or another. Either way the overall volume is probably going to go down a lot so their price will likely go up

B. The number of dealers who are still dealing with tilton will likely go down. They have Tecomec, their total stuff, and some pressure washers and some off brand of lawn mowers. It's tough to see someone who was with them for jonsered and total chainsaw stuff buying a lot of the goods from them a la carte, unless they keep the prices low and shipping prices are favorable.

In the event that distribution of the tsumura bars through tilton comes to an end, and the jonsered saws start coming with Oregon, there will be a near monopoly on Husqvarna mount bars by oregon and their associates in the united states, except for the chinese Forester and Silverstreak products. It is amazing how many players in this market seem to have fallen off and/or have been acquired. The price of oregon products has also increased steadily for what I think are pretty mediocre bars.

If you were dealing with Tilton, then you know what thats like. I have heard no one yet say it was a pleasant experience, and the two dealers I have talked about it with had no comment. No positive comments. So I wouldn't deal with them unless they carried something I couldn't get, like Jonsered, was what the one said.

To me that says volumes. I know they are quality bars, but if thats the only way to acquire them, they can keep them.

Maybe they will be better distributors because of this. Sounds like they will have to be.

Long term though...

A. The price of total bars is probably going to go up. I assume a large portion of the bars that they supplied were those which were ultimately silk screened with jonsered and prepacked with saws...unless they were in fact just ordered separately by dealers one way or another. Either way the overall volume is probably going to go down a lot so their price will likely go up

B. The number of dealers who are still dealing with tilton will likely go down. They have Tecomec, their total stuff, and some pressure washers and some off brand of lawn mowers. It's tough to see someone who was with them for jonsered and total chainsaw stuff buying a lot of the goods from them a la carte, unless they keep the prices low and shipping prices are favorable.

In the event that distribution of the tsumura bars through tilton comes to an end, and the jonsered saws start coming with Oregon, there will be a near monopoly on Husqvarna mount bars by oregon and their associates in the united states, except for the chinese Forester and Silverstreak products. It is amazing how many players in this market seem to have fallen off and/or have been acquired. The price of oregon products has also increased steadily for what I think are pretty mediocre bars.

True, but unless you are set on the Total/Jonsered logo on the bar, Tsumura bars have been available outside of Tilton for many years. You most likely won't find them at your dealer though unless they deal with Laser.

I hope Tsumura will find a better way to sell bars in the US. Canada has them readily available in regular and the light and tough bars.

Got my letter today. Tilton will be distributing parts and wholegoods they have in stock until mid Feburary. Called them on backorder status of a few part numbers and was told they had just recieved another parts order and would be filling parts orders until the transition was over. sounded like wholegoods orders would be filled with remaining stock-No more saws being shipped....................

Hmmmmmm, that's kind of interesting about the dates. Tilton field reps worked on a commission only pay plan. They were paid a percentage of what the territory did. The company will ship product until mid Feb, but the reps are all ushered out as of this Thu. And they got barely a weeks notice only being told this past Fri.

I think I'll wait until Husky starts shipping product before I buy any more Red saws.

Last edited:
I hope Tsumura will find a better way to sell bars in the US. Canada has them readily available in regular and the light and tough bars.

Like PB said above...some of the Tsumura bars are available Laser branded. Only .058" gauge.

I called Tilton to see what they had left for saws in stock and they are out of pro model with the exception of cs2172wh and cs2139, they were quick to point out that they had alot of 2240-2255 saws left and alot of parts too. So until the transition is started or through whats in the field already is what you get. Personally i'm down to 1 2188, 1 2172, 1 2166, 2 2153 and 1 2152, but its slow for saws this time of year when there is snow on the ground so i'm not worried.

Like PB said above...some of the Tsumura bars are available Laser branded. Only .058" gauge.

I would love to be able to get them in a stihl mid size mount to fit the 460-660. I haven't found any in the US in that mount only husky mount.

I would love to be able to get them in a stihl mid size mount to fit the 460-660. I haven't found any in the US in that mount only husky mount.

I don't want to get into trouble for posting links, but they are available for most saws (Husky, Stihl, Jonsered). You can get the Stihl bars in .050 and .058 up to 28". Husky mounted bars are available in .058. up to 28".

Last edited:
Misread the columns in the catalog, Kyle was right. Husky mounts are only available in .058 and in the large mount. Small mounts are not listed.

I called Tilton to see what they had left for saws in stock and they are out of pro model with the exception of cs2172wh and cs2139, they were quick to point out that they had alot of 2240-2255 saws left and alot of parts too. So until the transition is started or through whats in the field already is what you get. Personally i'm down to 1 2188, 1 2172, 1 2166, 2 2153 and 1 2152, but its slow for saws this time of year when there is snow on the ground so i'm not worried.

Our inventory is thin also-But where we would like to be this time of the year........

Thanks.

Philbert

Made by Tsumura and imported/distributed under the Total brand by Tilton. That is a lot of "T" companies.

I only know that the Total bars are made by Tsumura, and their chain obviously is Carlton - and then there is a Tecomec logo on their website....

I haven't got much more myself. 1-2172, 3-2166's, 3-2139's and one each on a 2153 and 2255.

Product codes are not yet active in the Husky system. Maybe the fact that Tilton is wiped will speed things up a bit. I'm hoping to get some info soon.

Back