Tilton Equipment no longer Distributing Jonsered Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one thing that's kinda logical but still unfortunate, given that TSC was a big contract that was fairly straight forward and that the distributors all had to come up with their own orders and requests for product and whatever, is that TSC will be getting product before all the independent dealers.

It sounds like the parts situation on here is getting a little better though.

It is actually all a matter of timing. The TSC deal is being handled by the same Husqvarna national account folks as always. This arrangement with Jonsered was in place since the middle of last year and product orders to fill the TSC PO's were in the system by early fall. The orders for all of the new distributors didn't go in until just a couple months ago.

For all of the Husky/TSC folks this is simply just a change in color on the shelf. And I already had both brands so other than some product interuption with the Reds, nothing much really changes for me eiither.

For Jonny only guys, who are afraid that life will change for the worse with the saws being in TSC, my experience with the orange saws says otherwise. TSC will mostly sell the low end of the line, you can beat them on price, and you'll end up with a bunch more customers that would have never found you. Yes, some of them will be pretty ignorant, but truthfully, that is a small minority. A lot of it will depend on how you handle them, but they will soon realize that you know a lot more than any nitwit at the local TSC. They will find themselves in a REAL saw shop, and they will come back. Saws are a lot different than lawnmowers. Even a moderate wood cutter needs a fair amount of accessories to keep going, and there's no pick up and delivery to deal with.

For Jonny only guys, who are afraid that life will change for the worse with the saws being in TSC, my experience with the orange saws says otherwise. TSC will mostly sell the low end of the line, you can beat them on price, and you'll end up with a bunch more customers that would have never found you. Yes, some of them will be pretty ignorant, but truthfully, that is a small minority. A lot of it will depend on how you handle them, but they will soon realize that you know a lot more than any nitwit at the local TSC. They will find themselves in a REAL saw shop, and they will come back. Saws are a lot different than lawnmowers. Even a moderate wood cutter needs a fair amount of accessories to keep going, and there's no pick up and delivery to deal with.

I see this with Husqvarna's with Lowes labels. They may have bought the saw at Lowes but they bring it
into your shop for service. By treating them fairly and educating them 90% the time they become loyal customers
buying accessories, and bringing equipment in for service. And we all know you make more on repairs, parts and accessories
than you do the initial sale.

I heard a rumor today that Tilton is bringing in a new saw line from overseas(Europe I think)anyone know hear which one?I understand they are getting it EPA compliant now.Forgive me if somewhere deep in this thread this has already been mentioned.

I heard a rumor today that Tilton is bringing in a new saw line from overseas(Europe I think)anyone know hear which one?I understand they are getting it EPA compliant now.Forgive me if somewhere deep in this thread this has already been mentioned.

They are definitely testing something, but there's no info on what it actually is. So that allows us to have some fun guessing what it's going to be. Is it going to be something new, or something that has already gone next to nowhere here? Solo? A return to Efco? What could come out of Europe that we haven't seen yet? Been a while since Alpina has been here. Could it be something from the other side of the world? A MAKO saw? LOL I can't imagine they are discovering some great new idea in the chainsaw world.

There's even more interesting questions though. Who's going to sell it? They let all of their sales guys go. But the biggest question is: Who's going to BUY them? Tilton might have lost Jonsered, but the dealers didn't. There's no need for dealers, or end users for that matter, to start over with another brand. Particularly if they come out with program that has no terms like they had with the Jonnys. And what possible brand is out there that would gain any traction in the real world market? Some of us here on the site will get them and say, "Hey look it works. It cuts pretty good". A couple guys will port them and it will create some additional excitement. BUT.........in the real world I'd be surprised if they had even limited success.

I'm actually surprised they would even try this. :dizzy:

Interesting. . .but all this thread has done is make me really want to see/handle the new jonnies (hopefully with autotune)! CAD is really kicking in!! And, it reminds me that I've met Dan Tilton and seen him handle a saw, and I kinda think he and Sawtroll would get along well ;)

Interesting. . .but all this thread has done is make me really want to see/handle the new jonnies (hopefully with autotune)! CAD is really kicking in!! And, it reminds me that I've met Dan Tilton and seen him handle a saw, and I kinda think he and Sawtroll would get along well ;)

I never met Dan Tilton but I did speak to him on the phone one time. I like Sawtroll, that's more then I can say about Dan Tilton.

Later
Dan

They are definitely testing something, but there's no info on what it actually is. So that allows us to have some fun guessing what it's going to be. Is it going to be something new, or something that has already gone next to nowhere here? Solo? A return to Efco? ......

Dolmar? :msp_biggrin:

I do remember tilton being kinda full of himself. My comparison to ST was more along the lines of them both liking short bars and outboard clutches for limbing pine and spruce ;) the funny part was tilton's saw acted upduring his presentaion (a 2153 w/ 13" b&c), and he had to borrow one of the school's saws (same) to finish. He put his b&c on the saw, then fellef a roughly 20"dbh pine against the lean (of course!) And limbed it up real quick. He was pretty handy with a saw. One of my classmates had worked for a j-red deaker, and fixed tilton's saw afterwards, think it had something to do with the impulse line maybe? Anyways, he was pretty impessed by that , although my buddy had nothing good to say about tilton either.

I do remember tilton being kinda full of himself. My comparison to ST was more along the lines of them both liking short bars and outboard clutches for limbing pine and spruce ;) the funny part was tilton's saw acted upduring his presentaion (a 2153 w/ 13" b&c), and he had to borrow one of the school's saws (same) to finish. He put his b&c on the saw, then fellef a roughly 20"dbh pine against the lean (of course!) And limbed it up real quick. He was pretty handy with a saw. One of my classmates had worked for a j-red deaker, and fixed tilton's saw afterwards, think it had something to do with the impulse line maybe? Anyways, he was pretty impessed by that , although my buddy had nothing good to say about tilton either.

:cool2: story, but I don't like a 13" bar on a 50cc saw! :givebeer:

Last edited:
Lol, me either! We ran 16" b&c's on our whole fleet of jonnies for our logging projects at forestry school. . .mostly 2152's, also some older 2054's, and a couple of 2153's and 2156's. . .all 16" .325 pitch. And one 2095 for on the landing and the CSM. Was a lot of fun!

Latest posts

Back