Time for a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muncybob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought my Poulan Pro 230 about 12 years ago new. Until recently it was hardly used. This year we started heating with wood and I've cut about 4 cords with it so far. This thing is rattling itself to death! I've already lost the muffler bolts out in the woods and just had it serviced due to poor running and was surprised at how much work needed to be done with the limited amount of time I've been cutting. The dealer that worked on it for me sells Stihl and of course he wants to sell me one...and that's always a possibility. I borrowed an older Jonsred saw while mine was in the shop and big difference!

So, based on the need to cut maybe 8 cords of wood per year what would you guys suggest? I'm open to new or used but would prefer to keep the cost at $400 or less.

I know i'm gonna put you over budget......... but a nice, used saw may be an option. If i were going to have one 'go to' saw for cutting firewood, it would be a higher end (than the average big box store saw) 60cc saw with magnesium cases by Stihl, Husqvarna, or Dolmar. I would buy from a local saw dealer with a good service reputation. It should easily last you 15 years or more, and will be easily rebuily when it does wear out (good for another ten years).

How big are the trees you will be getting into? 12", 24", or 36"

If 12" diameter is the norm then a smaller well built saw will do. Stihl MS260, Husky 346XP, Dolmar 5100S.
If you average 24" diameter stuff, then a larger saw is in order... Stihl MS290 or 310, Husky 359, or Dolmar 6400.
If you get into 36" stuff, then think Stihl 441, Husky 576xp, Dolmar 7900.

If it's in the budget, get a saw from the first group AND a saw from the third group. You won't tire yourself out cutting 8" stuff with a big saw nor wear your saw out cutting big stuff with an underpowered saw.

remember, opinions are like thumbs... most folk have at least one if not two,
Ian

Edit... most of my post disappeared, replaced by a % sign... had to retype.. :confused:

Last edited:
stop messing with chinese junk ,get yourself a 290 Stihl farmboss ... the best 369 dollars youll ever spend

Nothing wrong with a farmboss, but I would prefer a pro grade saw for a little more money, my main concern is the vibration, my 044 puts my hands to sleep after an hour or less, my 2171 has much less vibes, I know these saws cost a lot more than a 290 but there are saws closer to the 290 with much less vibes.

I'm not familiar with any of the Stihls but I am sure they are very good saws. If you get a chance to look at the Husqvarnas I would think you couldn't go wrong with this one...a 455 Rancher. Its newer version, the 460 Rancher will run you about $400 with a 20 inch bar. This saw would do a super job for you cutting 8 cords a year.
attachment.php

But...if you take your $400 and spend just a LITTLE bit more:blush:

You could own this saw...the 346XP. This saw gets a lot of good press on AS and I can speak from experience that it is well worth the extra $80 some dollars you would spend on it.

attachment.php

One of my lessons learned on this site is no matter how much you want to spend, us members will always want you to spend about $100 more. :)

I'm not familiar with any of the Stihls but I am sure they are very good saws. If you get a chance to look at the Husqvarnas I would think you couldn't go wrong with this one...a 455 Rancher. Its newer version, the 460 Rancher will run you about $400 with a 20 inch bar. This saw would do a super job for you cutting 8 cords a year.
attachment.php

But...if you take your $400 and spend just a LITTLE bit more:blush:

You could own this saw...the 346XP. This saw gets a lot of good press on AS and I can speak from experience that it is well worth the extra $80 some dollars you would spend on it.

attachment.php

One of my lessons learned on this site is no matter how much you want to spend, us members will always want you to spend about $100 more. :)

At least.

I bought my Poulan Pro 230 about 12 years ago new. Until recently it was hardly used. This year we started heating with wood and I've cut about 4 cords with it so far. This thing is rattling itself to death! I've already lost the muffler bolts out in the woods and just had it serviced due to poor running and was surprised at how much work needed to be done with the limited amount of time I've been cutting. The dealer that worked on it for me sells Stihl and of course he wants to sell me one...and that's always a possibility. I borrowed an older Jonsred saw while mine was in the shop and big difference!

So, based on the need to cut maybe 8 cords of wood per year what would you guys suggest? I'm open to new or used but would prefer to keep the cost at $400 or less.

You can pick up nice Husky 359s all day on the bag for under $300, I like my 359 (never ran it stock though)

There is a modded Stihl MS361 on the Tradin' post for $400.

These are both 59cc, light, powerful, good all around saws.

Either one would be a good 1 saw plan.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a farmboss, but I would prefer a pro grade saw for a little more money, my main concern is the vibration, my 044 puts my hands to sleep after an hour or less, my 2171 has much less vibes, I know these saws cost a lot more than a 290 but there are saws closer to the 290 with much less vibes.

The 044 is a pro grade saw.. I agree though that it hasn't got the latest in anti-vibe setups. It's replacement, the 441 does though and is smooth as a sewing machine.

Ian

Cub Cadet 156 on Amazon for 299.99 free shipping it is rebranded Efco 156
Pro Saw, Mag Case 4.1 hp 12.5 lbs. Hell of a saw for the money, totally different class saw than the home owner Stihl's and Huskys, five year consumer warranty, made in Italy. Used the John Deere branded version for a year in our wood cutting business, we think it's every bit the quality of the pro Stihl's we use. Great air filtration and ez on fuel. Can't say enough on what a value this is, a little stronger than a Dolmar 5100 on paper. Will blow away a 290.

Makita 6400 from Home Depot. Do a search on Home Depot 6400s, That would be an exellent choice as well.

The Stihl 290 farm boss is not a PRO grade saw. It will not last as long as a PRO grade Stihl.

Go with a Dolmar 5100, 5105. They are light, powerful, and will last you for yrs.

A 510 Dolmar will spank a 290 and it is a pro type saw not a homeowner saw like the 290! Same basic priceing too!

Iowa is right a 5100 or 5105 is a much better choice but if you are wanting to stay under $400 my vote would be a the 510!

Iowa is right a 5100 or 5105 is a much better choice but if you are wanting to stay under $400 my vote would be a the 510!

Good choice there. I guess I forgot about the 510 after having a 5100. And you're right. They will spank a 290. And out-live one by a long ways.

Yeah I Love my 5100 too, runs with bigger saws, but is nice and light!

I have two saws, a ms210 and a 441. Both are great saws, but i have found that i use the little 210 most of the time. as long as i keep the chain good and sharp, i have no problem using it on bigger stuff. Its lighter so its easier on the hands, and the chain is narrower than other saws to it seems to me like it takes less effort to go through a log.
just my two cents

This is easy since it is my personal opinion get a 2159 Jred! mod the muff and don't look back. Just do not port the saw as I did, then you will need at least a 441,372 or even a 7900 to beat it in a 16'' log. You could dob it with a 359 but I don't like the bent handle lol.
Remember this is a personal opinion a 2152 or 2153 would be great too with a 2153 better in Stock form.

Latest posts

Back