Time for a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you buying 4 foot wood or cutting down trees?If you are just bucking stove length out of 4 ' you dont need a big proffesional saw.I have three stihls,180,250 and a 028,and I do the most with the 250.The 180 I use to limb spruce and it is faster than the others for that purpose.I like the 250 best,good power and light,and keep it sharp.The 028 is 25 years old and cut alot of wood and just keeps on going.If the dealer you use sells Stihl ,you cant really go wrong .

I agree with the guys about a used saw. I bought a Husky used on the forums here, and it's a great saw. I also bought a used Sthil 290, and it's a good saw too. It's worth every penny to upgrade to a pro saw.

There are a couple of nice ones on the classified section here right now.

You will like this one

My Stihl MS 361 Rocks!
StihlMS3613.jpg

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Wow!! As many opinions as there are saws!:)

Thanks for the input! To clarify...I will be mostly cutting down trees vs. just bucking logs. To date the largest tree I've cut is maybe 18" but whatever I buy needs to be able to handle larger if need be. Since my current saw will only fetch me apprx. $100(and just having put $70 into it!) I'll probably keep it for light cutting/backup. I'll keep this info and put it to good use in a month or 2 when I'm ready to invest.

Happy New Year to all!

Wow!! As many opinions as there are saws!:)

Thanks for the input! To clarify...I will be mostly cutting down trees vs. just bucking logs. To date the largest tree I've cut is maybe 18" but whatever I buy needs to be able to handle larger if need be. Since my current saw will only fetch me apprx. $100(and just having put $70 into it!) I'll probably keep it for light cutting/backup. I'll keep this info and put it to good use in a month or 2 when I'm ready to invest.

Happy New Year to all!

Contrary to what half the people said in this thread, the MS290 with a 20" bar on it will serve you just well. And any saw(of decent quality) that you keep the right oil mix in the fuel and enough oil on the chain will last you a lifetime(at least until a tree falls on it, and even then I have seen some saws walk away with minor injuries).

New Saw

Muncy Bob,

I believe there is a Dolmar dealer in Williamsport. A 5100s is probably within that range and would be a great saw for your needs.:)

If you are cutting average 18" stuff but want plenty of power for more, I'd scrimp my pennies for one of the third class of saw I have up in my earlier post. Others I'd add to that list are the Husky 372XP and as mentioned Jonsered 2171 IF you can find them. I hear they are hard to come by.

Seeing as you're in PA, you're probably cutting hardwood. In my opinion (and you know how opinions are) a stock 60cc saw, while perfectly capable of cutting a 24" log, just doesn't fall into the category of "plenty of power" for me.

If that isn't in your budget, then I'd look at, in order of expense, a Dolmar 7300 at $649, Stihl 361 at around $600, Husky 359 at around $550, a Stihl 390 for $459, a Stihl 310 for about $400, and then the Stihl 290 for $370 or so. I'd skip the Husky 455.

Personally, I' skip the Stihl 361 too. If I was dropping 6 bills on a chainsaw, I'd save a few more pennies and get the Dolmar 7300. You get a 73cc saw for not much more than the 59cc Stihl. And in addition to that, if you think you need more, buy a big bore kit for it from Bailey's for $109 and have an 84cc saw.

just more opinions to confuse the issue :),
Ian

Contrary to what half the people said in this thread, the MS290 with a 20" bar on it will serve you just well. And any saw(of decent quality) that you keep the right oil mix in the fuel and enough oil on the chain will last you a lifetime(at least until a tree falls on it, and even then I have seen some saws walk away with minor injuries).

agreed .. a muffler mod and some av gas and it will be a totally different saw ,it often outperform a 5100 in the same log with same bar length ,i know this becuase I cut pretty often with my cousin who owns a 5100 and its pretty equal to my modded 290 its funny youd think by reading these posts that the dolmar just blows the stihl completely away ..but thats not reality out in the woods.a dolmar is a decent saw no doubt but id call it a bare bones utility saw ,doesnt have the fancy features and options /accessories like stihl and the dolmar dealers/parts are far between plus it costs more and they dont hot -start very well from what ive seen and the bland aesthetics and plastic cover makes it look cheesy like it was made in china (yes ,i know its not).these guys love their saws and often talk people in to buying a 650 dollar pro saws that arent necessary .my guess is if you were getting by wit h a little crappy poulon you likely wont be needing a 80+cc pro saw with a 36 inch bar :confused:if you have enough money for a 290 get a 361 and if you have enough for a 361 add a little more and get a 372 xp and a little bit more and get a 7900 dolmar ..it never ends wiht them lol look ..a 290 is a great saw and will cut cords firewood all day long reliably for many years.i dont know about you but i wouldnt want to pay 400 plus bones for a used saw that someone dropped in a puddle of mud ,it may need new rings and an overhaul maybe junk in the intake and lines from the last owner plus theres no warranty if it fails a month after you get it .

Last edited:
You must own the only 290 out there that will run with a 5100! Most of the time I can take a 460 dolmar and hang with a 290 the 510 will outrun a 290 and hangs well with the 310. As far as features not being on the dolmar what features does it not have that the 290 does?

Uh oh... here comes the brand wars... LOL

The 290/310/390 series are good saws. My buddy has used one to cut for 2 households for 10 years Probably 8 cords combined per year. He never changed air filters nor fuel filters till I got ahold of it this past summer. It's a bit tired now and could use some love, (translation.. replacement) but if you only have to replace them every 10 years, what the heck.

Ian

Not saying the 290 is not a good saw. It is stihls version of the old Mac 610 that are still running around. all I am saying is there are better choices for the same money.

I have a new 390 arriving today. Unused. Bought on eBay. Has had the muffler mod and is sporting a 16 inch bar and chain. I'm thinking, (hoping) this saw will tear through any wood I throw at it. Not sure what type of chain is coming with it. I may switch to a yellow tag but I would first like some advise/instruction/warnings about using a yellow chain. I haven't been doing this long. I currently have a Craftsman 16 inch. The bar length works well with pretty much everything I do but I'm looking forward to more power and the ability to wear a longer bar.
I'd appreciate any comments about this saw as well as advise on using a yellow tagged chain.
Thanks,

Ken
Bellville, TX

The 390 will serve your needs well, just keep it maintained, blow out the air filter when it gets dirty, run good mix in it like Stihl Ultra and it should last a lifetime of homeowner use. It is capable of pulling a 24/25" bar although a 20" would probably be the best fit if you need it for bigger wood, nothing wrong with running the 16 if it is all you need. All chain is capable of a kickback, the safety chain has rakers designed to minimize the occurence. The yellow chain is just more aggressive, pick up one of Stihls safety dvd's at a dealer for under 10.00 in your fairly new to the game. Be safe, happy sawing.

Thanks, Indian Springs. My bride just got home with it from the post office. It does indeed look brand new. I don't have time to take it out to the woods for a test drive because I'm leaving in the morning for a week long road trip.
I'll post after I get back and give her a test run. The letter that came with also suggested premium gasoline. Does that sound right?

You can get by on 87 if you have to, but I never run less than 91. Normally AV (Aviation) GAS: 100LL in the winter as the higher octane burns hotter and makes more power, both of which are handy when it's cold out. Keeps longer too in a decent gas can.

You can get by on 87 if you have to, but I never run less than 91. Normally AV (Aviation) GAS: 100LL in the winter as the higher octane burns hotter and makes more power, both of which are handy when it's cold out. Keeps longer too in a decent gas can.

Actually, by my understanding, you have that backwards. Higher octane fuel burns cooler and is less volatile, allowing higher compression in performance engines with less risk of detonation.

The advantage of using AV gas in chainsaws is that it is designed for better long term storage than pump gas, so it won't gum up your carb as quickly if you leave it in the shed for 6 months without emptying the tank and running the carb dry.

Ian

You're right Ian,
I got that backwards, thats what happens after a 14hr shift an being awake at 18+ hours. That said, my saws all run better on 100ll and my old MAC 35 won't run well at all w/o it.
-Bryan:agree2:

my old MAC 35 won't run well at all w/o it.
-Bryan:agree2:

I can believe it. I (barely) remember premium being 104 octane back in the 70s. My father used to ##### when his 72 Gran Torino station wagon would ping on the low octane stuff.

Ian

Latest posts

Back