Time for a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a MS290 for $370 just for firewood, and its everything I will ever need. Its also very user freindly. I have no expeirence on how long it will last but right from the store I couldnt be more pleased.

I bought my Poulan Pro 230 about 12 years ago new. Until recently it was hardly used. This year we started heating with wood and I've cut about 4 cords with it so far. This thing is rattling itself to death! I've already lost the muffler bolts out in the woods and just had it serviced due to poor running and was surprised at how much work needed to be done with the limited amount of time I've been cutting. The dealer that worked on it for me sells Stihl and of course he wants to sell me one...and that's always a possibility. I borrowed an older Jonsred saw while mine was in the shop and big difference!

So, based on the need to cut maybe 8 cords of wood per year what would you guys suggest? I'm open to new or used but would prefer to keep the cost at $400 or less.
Bob, You are over here too! Check into Makita Dolmar(same saw) these are great & will keep that WG going, Randy AKA Singed Eyebrows

Until Amazon runs out of 56cc Cub Cadets, I'll have to second Indiansprings' recommendation. Absolutely the best $300 saw currently on the market.
When it was $500, it was just another saw, but knock 40% off the price and nothing else can touch it.

http://www.amazon.com/Cub-Cadet-CS-5720-Commercial/dp/B002LVVB4A

They are not available at this time...signed up for email notification. Seems to be about the best cut for the buck I've come across.

I borrowed an older Jonsred saw while mine was in the shop and big difference!

So, based on the need to cut maybe 8 cords of wood per year what would you guys suggest? I'm open to new or used but would prefer to keep the cost at $400 or less.

Find a TSC w/ the Poulan Pro 330's left and get 2, 199 at my local store. Should last you many years.

That PP330 is a great bang for the buck ! It is NOT a chinese built saw.

I own and use a Poulan 3000 which is nearly the same as the PP330. If the Tractor Supply Company stores in my area had any PP330's I'd have em. I cut 10 cords a years because that's all I have space for. My 3000 gets loaded in the truck everytime we cut and has had NO issues.

With a budget of $400 to start, I'd lay my hands on one and then get outfitted with some PPE, wedges and extra loops of chain to make things safer and faster. I wouldn't have buyers remorse getting one, or 2.

Hey KsWoodsMan, where are you cutting at? I'm curious because I live in Udall, but am cutting out in between Leon and Beaumont and also up in Eureka. I also cut out west by Zenda and down south by Udall. Nice to see a fellow KS Hard Wood cutter!

Theres upwards of 1700 Dolmar dealers in the U.S.

as opposed to how many stihl or husqy dealers???they are good saws, but OP sounds like he would need a dealers assistance from time to time.. I have one dolmar dealer that actually stocks saws within an 65 miles.... I have the luxury of having multiple saws, but if you don't, having a good stocking dealer is that much more important..

Hey KsWoodsMan, where are you cutting at? I'm curious because I live in Udall, but am cutting out in between Leon and Beaumont and also up in Eureka. I also cut out west by Zenda and down south by Udall. Nice to see a fellow KS Hard Wood cutter!

I've got a few places I can cut along fence rows , cleaning meadow edges and clearing pastures. Some north of Braman Ok (12 miles) and then farther south and East on the other side of Pawnee (75 miles). Of course there is always the occasional blowdown around town which happens starting in the next few months. A friend of the family offered me a solid 50 acres of 14" - 24" Oak last year that I haven't gotten to. It only takes a few people wanting pastures cleared around A.C. to swamp a part time cutter in more wood than he can carry.

There are sevearal of us on here from these parts. I've met a couple of other local members and haven't been dissappointed. They're good people.

I've got a few places I can cut along fence rows , cleaning meadow edges and clearing pastures. Some north of Braman Ok (12 miles) and then farther south and East on the other side of Pawnee (75 miles). Of course there is always the occasional blowdown around town which happens starting in the next few months. A friend of the family offered me a solid 50 acres of 14" - 24" Oak last year that I haven't gotten to. It only takes a few people wanting pastures cleared around A.C. to swamp a part time cutter in more wood than he can carry.

There are sevearal of us on here from these parts. I've met a couple of other local members and haven't been dissappointed. They're good people.

That's great! I know what you mean abuot the un-planned cutting with tornado season around the corner. Hell I've got access to more places to cut than I have time to cut in them,... The 300 acre tract east of Leon I'm cutting on, I've been taking from 8-16 chords per year out of for 13 years and if you hadn't seen it when I started, you'd never know it by looking at it. At this rate I could easily cut this way for four more decades easily and it would still look about the same. Better yet, there's not a stick of softwood in there anywhere! Good luck and safe cutting!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back