tips and tricks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

topnotchtree

Tips and tricks

Does anybody have any little secret tricks to share? I would like to see what Ideas or tips will follow. I broke a pull chord on my saw and in a pinch used a boot lace. That was over 2 yrs ago and I still use it! Anybody else pour their bar oil into empty laundry soap jugs so it pours easier? Golf balls with a small hole in them works great as file handles.

Hardly a secret but for autoroping,(climber handling the lowering line from in the tree) I like to use a figure 8 with ears instead of a pulley/block for a false crotch.

I used to fill empty dish detergent bottles with bar oil but it’s too slow for larger capacity saws. I took some Holley fuel pumps that were lying around and fashioned both bar oil and gas pumps.

If there’s a rusty bolt that penetrating oil won’t budge I use a propane torch to heat it up and use candle wax, it flows into the threads and works better.

Stumper I never tried your trick, will have to give it a whirl.

In the past I have used a small gas can for toting bar oil around. I have, at times carried a T wrench in the tree with me if there were problems with the saw.

Thanks, Eagle1. It gets used a lot.

I've been trying to think of a 'tip'. How 'bout...

I keep a straw over the file that has a handle on it. A little tape on the straw secures it to the handle, so it doesn't get dulled-up banging around in the toolbox.

Before the advent of the new Stihl caps, I learned to attach the chain saw tool to the saw gas can to prevent loss of the tool.

I do not know how many chain saw wrenches I lost before doing this.

Since fastening the tool (by small rope or cable) to the gas can, I have not lost one.

Originally posted by Menchhofer
Before the advent of the new Stihl caps, I learned to attach the chain saw tool to the saw gas can to prevent loss of the tool.

Sounds great, but how do you attach it? Gotta pic?

While I am sure there are other ways, I simply drilled a small hole into the wrench side of the tool (about 1/4 or 5/8 and inserted a small rope and tied a knot. The rope is only about 18"-2ft long. Attached the other end to the handle of the saw gas can.

When I did this years ago, it was suppose to be a quick fix until I could think of something better. But it worked so well and lasted so long I never got back to thinking of something better

Actually I think I remember seeing a wrench that was attached to the gas can by a tube. The screwdriver part just slides into the tube which is I guess super glued onto the gas can?

Originally posted by treeman82
Actually I think I remember seeing a wrench that was attached to the gas can by a tube. The screwdriver part just slides into the tube which is I guess super glued onto the gas can?

Gotta link? :)

Great idea Menchhofer, we still need the wrench for bar adjustments anyways, I always carry two, one with the standard flat blade and one with the torx head for tightening any loose screws on our Stihls.

Something I like to do for self lower is put a wrap or two up in the tree or I will do this sometimes only cause I know the guy on ground wont. We have some Mexicans who think they are stronger than they are and just want to hold it. So instead of a screaming match I already have a wrap and they have NO SAY.

We use old fire hose to protect the bar and chain of our saws. We also use used motor oil as bar and chain oil. Saves the cost of the oil and the disposal of the motor oil.

Sometimes I have to ride the ball for an extended length of time. When I do that I pass a short rope(3, 4 ft) around my back, under my armpits, and clipped to the hook.

Its like sitting in a kiddie chair.
drinkbeer.gif

Derek, the old firehose bar cover is a good tip. Using used motor oil for bar oil is a bad idea. The reasons being,
1. Impurities in used oil can be abrasive accelerating bar wear.
2. Impurities in used oil are often acidic, causing gradual damage to oil tanks and pumps.
3. The impurities in used oil include known cancer causing agents. The operator winds up breathing and wearing small quantities of bar lube.

If you have an operators manual for your saws it probably says NOT to use used motor oil. Bar oil is cheap and various collection centers will take your used motor oil for recycling with out charge. Using used oil as bar lube is a very bad idea.:angel:

Back