tips and tricks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plumbobs and deisel

Another fun scrench trick is to drilkl the hole on top right above where the screwdriver comes out, hang 16" of cord and you have a way to secure it to the chaps that I'm sure everyone on the ground is wearing, and you also have a plumbob for determining subtle lean. In regards to oil if you are running a diesel then I wouldnt think that the oil has hundreds of hours left, remember when you first start a deisel that noise that sounds different than it does when the engine is warm is piston slap, hence blow by, therefore deisel fuel in the engine oil over time which at some point is a viscosity issue.

Originally posted by Tree Machine
Hey, has anybody installed a petcock in place of the drain plug? A stainless steel ball valve? I understand the inherent potential dangers, but is anyone doing this? A valve, with a short tube coming vertically down off of it would allow you to stick that tube directly into the collection jug, open the petcock, and not a drop would be spilled. No need for funnels or tools. The wrenchless oil change. Anybody? -TM-

I have. I run all diesels and oil changes are real messy. Since I put in this wrenchless drain plug and use the ziploc bag over the oil filter, oil changes are very clean.

They come in various thread sizes. This is the one I have.
http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/showdetl.cfm?&DID=30&Product_ID=1012&CATID=1

Good one !

Koa Man, you are so with it. Thanks for that jewel of a link. Mebbe it'll help a bunch us in this central issue. I really think that finger-touch, crankcase drain plug is a plus, not only for the environment, but for our personal conveniences. Any money spent to save time in the maintenence arena is money well spent. -TM-

With all this talk on the enviroment and oil I will get hollard at for suggesting this. I am probrably one of very few that still uses a whipper chipper. If you are stuck using a dull whipper chipper that chips live stuff ok and doesnt chip dead stuff, pour some bar oil onto the feed table near the blades, or onto a pile of dead twigs, and it will chip much better.At least for awhile. I don't know why but I know it works!

Live wood consists mainly of water, sap, and the wood is soft and pliable. The water content in a sense is a natural lubricant to the edge of the knife, that allows the knife to cut the wood easier at the anvil to produce the chip.

When you put the oil on the feed table your reducing the friction that allows the knife to better pull the dead wood in and and cut it at the anvil or cutter bar to produce the chip. Doesn't this get a little expensive, not to mention wasteful ???

Wood chips have a sort of sand blasting effect on the chute that in time wears the metal thin and produces holes, I would think the chips would clean out most of the oil residue in the chute. I've never heard of this being done so I'm a little curious on this one myself.

Live wood consists mainly of water, sap, and the wood is soft and pliable. The water content in a sense is a natural lubricant to the edge of the knife, that allows the knife to cut the wood easier at the anvil to produce the chip.

When you put the oil on the feed table your reducing the friction that allows the knife to better pull the dead wood in and and cut it at the anvil or cutter bar to produce the chip. Doesn't this get a little expensive, not to mention wasteful ???

Wood chips have a sort of sand blasting effect on the chute that in time wears the metal thin and produces holes, I would think the chips would clean out most of the oil residue in the chute. I've never heard of this being done so I'm a little curious on this one myself.

I'm not sure if this is a tip or not, but I have always packed a lunch, every day. Lunch breaks, if any, are short enough and I don't want to waste my time going to a 'store' to 'get something'.

Its always amazed me how some people think it is the bossmans responsibility to help get the lunch. And I like the way nobody(for the most part) has any cash, especially later into the week. And the act of loading up and going to the 'store' draws out the 1/2 hour lunch into who knows how long. Big waste of productive manhours, eh?

Anyway, my tip is PACK YUR LUNCH!
up.gif

attachment.php

Please try to keep petro oil out of the environment

John Paul, did that happen again?

Hey Nick, I will have to confess about being the VO guy, and I spoke upon this last week, but I can't remember which thread. It wasn't "So, any of you guys use vegetable oil as bar lube" It was a related side topic to the thread that I'm not subscribed to it, and I honestly don't remember where it was. Stumper, can you help?

Responsibility for the environment, I hope, is a conscious concern of all of us. 'Tips and tricks' took a moment to hear Tips of how guys keep from spilling toxic dirty used oil while changing the oil in their chippers and trucks.

Topnotch, I'm not gonna yell at you. I'm not an environmental radical. I just take a deeply concerned and active stance to do what I can do to keep the environment clean.

Here's my tip. Consider carrying along a gallon of vegetable oil and try to grease that entry plate with it. Or mebbe better, try the partially hydrogenated, artery clogging, white Crisco shortening (just leave a rag or sponge in the can). Silly as it may outwardly seem, Crisco may last far longer than petrochemically based bar oil (being that it's solid as opposed to liquid), and unquestionably it will be better for the environment. Report back. The environment thanks you, and the environment suggests Criscoing the chipper's infeed area before firing it up -TM-

I don't know if this helps anyone. I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extendcab. This truck doubles as my work truck and a family vehicle. I had my father build me a couple of wooden boxes ( no lids ) to fit under the rear seat. You can store countless things in these. They can't be seen from the outside either.

Most guys, I imagine, use their scrench to clean out the gunk that accumulates under the clutch/sprocket sidecover. Some carry a toothbrush in their tool kit. A Dollar Store brass wire mini brush works great for this sort of cleanup and is the tool for cleaning up the threads on the bar nut studs.

Twice a year I deep-clean the veggie oil out of my side casing. I'm sure the manufacturers would not recommend this, and I do not necessarily recommend this for you either, but here goes....

ps keep your compressed air on hand for immediately after. -TM-

A small brush with plastic bristles is also good for cleaning air filters on the job.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I would think that would work the debris further into the element.:confused:

True, I just use it sparingly to remove the coarse material from the filter. Putting the filter in warm water with mild detergent followed up with the air compressor is the best way to clean an air filter. ( I could easily put in two words for this but I run the risk of being edited out) :D

Latest posts

Back