tips and tricks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your point is well taken tree machine. It should be understood that pouring oil in the feed chute,(while engine is off), is a very last resort option that I have only used once. I have a very old asplundh chipper with 9 inch blades. I am ready to try changing them myself very soon. I will be looking for tips and do's and don'ts on changing drum chipper blades as I have never done that yet. But that will be another furum.

At work my foreman ran a new 70 foot high ranger. The truck had air brakes. He mounted a coupler on the air tank on the truck. When it was time to clean tha saws we hooked the air line and started the truck motor. It worked great!

M B

What kind of pipe did you use for the home made porty???

How did you bend the top part??? Did you do it hot or cold??

I'm not planning to copy your porty but I do have some tinker projects that will require some pipe bending.

Originally posted by Ax-man

I'm not planning to copy your porty but I do have some tinker projects that will require some pipe bending.

Feel free to to copy! Thats what I did! Make it exactly the way you want to.
Notice the extra legs? That keeps the rope from binding against the tree when it trys to do that. It doesn't always happen, but its a pain when it does. Those little legs stop that. :cool:

I'm not a welder, I just drew diagrams and had a friend rig it up for me.

Rob, the diameter of the pipe is two inches.

Have you meet my mistress? ;)

attachment.php

Gettin' the tools outa the truck tip was a good one.
Last year had local certified arborist company dump near a hundred loads of chips, spread with dozer -- in 3 months, ran over (with dozer) 4 ladders, one pole saw, 3 wheelbarrows, untold numbers of rakes and rubbermaid trash cans, a couple of duffle bags with spare clothes, mangled somebody's new pair of boots, etc. some of the crews cleaned up their act after a new ladder and wheelbarrow were 'missing' and found in my scrap metal pile the next day.<G> :(

Originally posted by SilverBlue

What kind of finish did you put on that porty? Looks all shiny and purdy.

Hey that ain't no finish, thats just the rope polishing it, and the sunlight reflecting.

I got home the other night and my Sweet Pea had done ate all my biscuits, and drank all my beer! I run her off, and heres my new hearthrob.
I think this is the one!

attachment.php

Military surplus, cloth, magazine bandoliers make a cheap way to keep 'biners from rattling around. Just slip the biners in the magazine pockets and roll it up. A small soft-side camera bag makes a good place to store ascenders, fig. eights, and your 'biner roll.:)

Speaking of surplus, we've go all kinds of ammo boxes, for chainsaw tools, rigging hardware, spare chains and repair kit.

Nice, blaster!

Tips and tricks

I usualy spray a chem wipe or any rag with WD40 to put my files in and keep them in good shape, any small branch cut to 3 inches makes a good file handle . This last one belongs a friend of mine but I thaught it was great, he drilled a hole through a T wrench put a keyring and a quick snap on it. ???? thing goes anywhere.

tips and tricks

For cleaning your air filters try spraying with quick start does a great job and evaporates very quickly.

There is the tip to wrap your throwline around a stick to keep it from cutting your hands on long pulls ect...

Well for me I take the bottom pole off my Big Shot and use that instead. I just make 4 wraps, then make one over my hand and pull, then you can pull the line's slack out by pulling it around the pole.

You can use a belt sander to sharpen chipper blades. I use the 80 grit belts. The belt sanders that are bench mounted work best. You can get those at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears etc for around a $100. You can also use the regular belt sanders too. Just zip tie or clamp the handle to something with the belt facing up. Run your chipper blades on them keeping the same angle. Easy to do, blades look like they were machined. You will use the machine shop far less, maybe not at all.

Originally posted by Koa Man
You can use a belt sander to sharpen chipper blades.

What about all that 'correct angle' malarky? You just eyeball it? Do they stay sharp for a substantial length of time?

Sounds like a good idea for maybe minor touch-ups. :)

I said same angle, which is don't alter the edge shape to make the the edge sharp. If you chipper blade is angled only on one side the and other side is flat, don't go putting a V on the edge in an effort to make the edge sharp. You might find the blade won't chip well, even though the edge is sharp. I sent some blades to a machine shop once and they ground the back side up slightly instead of keeping it flat. Chipper had a hard time pulling the branches in, even though it had hyd. feed rollers. Basically, the blades were ruined because to cut the bevel off would make the blades too narrow.

Yes, you just eyeball it.

Re: tips and tricks

Originally posted by Dobber
For cleaning your air filters try spraying with quick start does a great job and evaporates very quickly.

I assume when you say quick start you are reffering to ether.

This is not recommended for chain saw air filters, it will breakdown the backing of the filtering element. Once or twice probaly won't do any harm, but continued use of this will result in the fine particles of the filter itself ending up in the combustion chamber of the saw.

yes I was refering to ether, I guess I never put it my original message but it was for a quick fix only If you dont have the time or foresight do it properly, but in the field ether will work in a pinch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back