Titan ER / Bluestreak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I finally got around to working on this saw. It was a bit needy, as in transmission bearings were all siezed as were many other things but not a big deal.
The big deal was spark, as there was none due to a bad coil. Hours and hours of research eventually turned up that this coil was Wico part no. 3040D. Turns out, this is the same part number as the coil for a Maytag 72 with the Wico ignition. Here's the kicker.....A replacement coil for the 72 is $165 shipped. OUCH. I bit the bullet as I intend to get this saw running and curing like the rest of the collection so why the heck not. I had placed phone calls to old engine parts places and nobody had one and the fellow selling the coil to replace the Maytag ones was zero help because it wasn't a Maytag (wouldn't even verify measurements).
Long story short, I also spoke to a highly regarded collector about the saw and he suggested adding a new crank seal. SKF part no. 7556, a shift shaft seal. You will need to use a microfiche card as a sleeve to get the seal lip over the crank lip without cutting the seal or throwing the spring.
I put her all together and I have nice blue spark. I hope to get out this weekend and put some fuel in her and see if she runs. Only thing I need is a sprocket. They seemed almost impossible to find then I missed one on the bay a few weeks ago. OMG
Anyhow, I'm not putting this out there to generate sales for this coil as I haven't tested it yet, but I just wanted to throw it out there what's going on in my shop since others I am sure have these saws that need coils. Here are some pics. I will post an update for sure on the results and I'm sure in the next few years and some patience I'll find that sprocket.

Oh. And yes, that's a ROUGH Mall 5 in the background. IMG_20170216_185207.jpg 1487295280219-808236006.jpg

UPDATE: the saw started easy and runs good. Carb needs a little tuning on the low side but thats tough to do in the dark. This will be a good running saw, i am glad i took the chance on the coil. Hopefully others can use some info here to resurrect a saw with a bad coil.

Very nice. Glad you took the time to figure your coil issue
out. It will help and others down the road. I have two Titan
Bluestreaks that need some attention. I'm waiting till summer
to tackle them.

Lee

Back