tn fall gtg 460 build off date oct 1st

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been on AS in quite a while. When my saw took ill, it got me poking around for some ideas. This is some of the most complete online coverage of an event ever! Nice goin, guys.

HLS Pro Parts has shipped a MS 460 cylinder & piston kit that should be here Monday. Stihl 046 MS460 cylinder piston assembly 52mm

Timing is everything, I guess. Missed the GTG.

The price was right for only $69 bucks plus shipping. The gasket set for a full rebuild was also ordered for another ten bucks, although only the cylinder & exhaust gaskets will be used. Not planning on splitting the case.

The question is: should this jug be modded before installing it? I don't even know what brand it will be. Maybe the 54mm big bore kit should have been ordered from Bailey's for a hunnert bucks?

Here's the instructions: http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/cylinder_kit_instructions.pdf

Arboreally yours,

Ox
[email protected]
(206) 949-8733

i guess i am going to try to get to teh next one,, thats if i am invited:):),, i can stop and hog tie wiggs and throw him in the truck before i head that way

Did anyone get a timed cut of a well ported 372 in the same wood as the 460's? It would be fun to see how close they are to each other.

we ran build off saws against my xpws in a chestnut oak log and they were slower. i think the build off saws cut 10.50-10.60 and one of my xpw's cut 9.28. i think brads build off 372 even cut 10.30-10.50. the husky is slightly faster and weighs less . thats why i started running them. i like the 460 stihl better than the husky as far as feel but. the way it feels dont put wood on the ground.

we ran build off saws against my xpws in a chestnut oak log and they were slower. i think the build off saws cut 10.50-10.60 and one of my xpw's cut 9.28. i think brads build off 372 even cut 10.30-10.50. the husky is slightly faster and weighs less . thats why i started running them. i like the 460 stihl better than the husky as far as feel but. the way it feels dont put wood on the ground.

But no timed cuts in larger wood? 372 definitely has the RPM advantage against a 460 but would the 460 beat it in a larger cut?

wiggs and i tried that at his last gtg. his hybrid is a strong saw id say stronger than his build off saw. his hybrid was around a second behind in smaller stuff and then we compared it in 28'' bar size wood and the gap was much wider. the husky just has a great advantage over the stihl in cylinder design.

wiggs and i tried that at his last gtg. his hybrid is a strong saw id say stronger than his build off saw. his hybrid was around a second behind in smaller stuff and then we compared it in 28'' bar size wood and the gap was much wider. the husky just has a great advantage over the stihl in cylinder design.

My hybrid is stronger than my Buildoff saw. I ran it in the big cant with the same 28" b&c I used in the Buildoff, and it was 2.5 seconds faster.

Iirc, your correct, your XPW was a bit less than a second in the 12x12 for two cuts and 4 or 5 seconds faster in that big white oak log at my last gtg.

And a HECK of a lot easier to make BIG gains with a LOT less work!!!!!
Not bashing so don't EVEN start.
Just stating what I have seen from several GOOD builders.

Mike

stihl keeps going backwards in cylinder design in my opinion. the older 046 cylinders will flat out smoke the new ones. these new cylinders will have a man scratching his head looking for the gains that were once easily found.

stihl keeps going backwards in cylinder design in my opinion. the older 046 cylinders will flat out smoke the new ones. these new cylinders will have a man scratching his head looking for the gains that were once easily found.

From what I've seen you're spot on, the older 046 seem to have better numbers and smaller combustion chambers. The new Brazilian cylinders just don't cut it in my book.

From what I've seen you're spot on, the older 046 seem to have better numbers and smaller combustion chambers. The new Brazilian cylinders just don't cut it in my book.

My build off saw has the old D shaped combustion chambered jug on it. To build a pop-up that fits the chamber correctly you need access to a mill and a lathe. As you know, it's worth the trouble. :rock:

My build off saw has the old D shaped combustion chambered jug on it. To build a pop-up that fits the chamber correctly you need access to a mill and a lathe. As you know, it's worth the trouble. :rock:

I was also lucky enough to snag one for my buildoff saw. I just ran too short on time to get a popup done on mine.

Back