to all you i cut 300-400 cords a year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets do the math of this and see what we get.

Lets say we have a hard working individual that cuts 1.5 cords of wood a day.
He hauls it back and can split about 1.5 cords and stack it.
That is probably about the limit of one mans day processing wood.
He is a normal human being and works 5 days a week with a couple weeks of for vacation, sick time Etc.
So 50 weeks a year weather permitting, no doubt 5 more weeks lost to that. 45
45x5x1.5 or 337.5 cords as an 8-10hr day full time job not including selling time.

Lots of variables that the OP never bothers to mention.Getting cull logs from the mill, I can have a load of about 4 cords loaded hauled home and unloaded in about 4 hours.It take me a while sometimes to get the big ones off the trailer.Also, I split under a shed.So weather doesn't matter.So if I hauled 2 loads a day, that would be 40 a week for 10 weeks, 400 cords, leaving 42 weeks to buck, split and stack.A little over 10 a week.Not impossible at all, not that I want to, unless someone is willing to buy all 400 at one shot.I might consider that.Then I'd be looking at a processor that claims to split 2 cords an hour, then your up to 16 a day, or let's just say 10 a day to be conservative.That's 50 a week, or 8 weeks work.Not really all that daunting.

one full cord cut, split and piled in under four hours easily at a comfortable pace

A supersplitter is very productive and fuel efficient -- I split at waist height, using a hookaroon to position the rounds onto the work table ('rounds' loaded onto my flatbed truck or trailer with a skidsteer) -- easier to batch the work by first staging logs in piles and to get them off the ground. Sometimes I cut the rounds only part-way before loading onto the flatbed. That way I can maneuver larger diameter rounds onto the splitter without breaking my back. If my children want to earn spending money and appreciate the value of hard work, they stack or load smaller diameter rounds onto the truck -- the less handling of firewood the more productive one can be. Need to be smart working with the hookaroon as it hurts the elbow if not used properly.

I split a cord uniformly in about an hour this way (once rounds staged near splitter), tossing splits onto a pile for stacking. The supersplitter can even remove doug fir bark from large rounds. To deliver it's just easier to load-up the dual axel dump trailer with the skidsteer/grapple bucket (can tow two cords without putting too much of a strain on the F250), or will stack on pallets for customers who want deliveries that can be put in place with a pallet fork.

Talk to an actual skookum logger to get more insight--maybe the last vestige of North-American 'can-do' true work ethic.

The OP posted
"to all you i cut 300-400 cords a year
you are a damn liar."

Wait what is he trying to say he cuts that many or those that say they do do are damn liars?

The OPos's lack of punctuation, capitalization, and all around poor grammar are a few more reasons to find him contemptable in the court of public opinion. Well that, and the fact that he is an a******.

The OPos's lack of punctuation, capitalization, and all around poor grammar are a few more reasons to find him contemptable in the court of public opinion. Well that, and the fact that he is an a******.

Keep it simple.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. Boring.

dressed-up-midgets.jpg

the vandelay clan

redheadwoodshed,

Yeah very tough to pin down such a broad statment.

If the log truck arrives and all he has to do is cut to size and split then 400 isn't to difficult atall.

If he is out cutting down trees for his wood i doubt it's possible.
Well possible but i think you would age about 7 years for each year LOL

In 3 months i probably cut 200 cord.
Almost 2/3 of that ends up at the front of a property with a (free wood) sign.
Then maybe 2 months to process the 75ish i keep, and give 1/3 of that to friends for just gas costs.

Bet i could cut and process 100 in 3 months, but i wouldn't want it as a full time job.
I'm married and already aging a couple years for each year without trying LOL

If his statment is he cuts 400 a year, it's easy i cut 200 in 3 months.
It's the rest beyond cutting that sucks through time.

Back