To repaint/restore or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have recently picked up a nice Henry Disston 2 man. Itr has good paint left on it, but I was thinking of stripping it down and having powder coated the original color. Do you think I should leavit alone or go all out restoring this thing and get all the shiny parts shiny again?

Pics can be seen here.... http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39888

There was a user here, Lewis Brander who did some of the nicest restore work on those old saws, if you are serious try and find him he is a world of info. I think he has one just like that that looks almost new after his touch.

Im giving serious thought to having this done or buying one of the home powdercoat kits and doing a few myself.

The only thing that bothers me is this.....

Can I find or have made the correct stickers? (possably not an issue with the disston)

How much work will be involved with cleaning the cases of coating to allow bearings and mating surfaces to seat correctly allowing the correct tolerances.

and can you layer it to achieve two tone color scheimes like the old homelites that had black on red?

RBW, you need to see Darrin's restore jobs. Yep!!!

He powder coats all of his old Homelite's and does all of the decaling for them as well. If you go to his C9 at the bottom of the page with the auto oiler, there is a page attached where he shows some basic steps that he goes through when he restores his saws. He does incredibly great restore jobs too, a little pricy to have something done, but you do get what you pay for, right ;)

Here's his main saw site...

www.bigdmc.com/Chainsaw.html

PEST said:
I've got about a quart left of pearl white paint.

That would be pimping tight in a cool resto kind of way! lol.

I'm "restoring" an 084 right now. I just hope the looks of the "new" saw won't make me scared to use it as it was intended.

Omg

GPH85 said:
RBW, you need to see Darrin's restore jobs. Yep!!!

He powder coats all of his old Homelite's and does all of the decaling for them as well. If you go to his C9 at the bottom of the page with the auto oiler, there is a page attached where he shows some basic steps that he goes through when he restores his saws. He does incredibly great restore jobs too, a little pricy to have something done, but you do get what you pay for, right ;)

Here's his main saw site...

www.bigdmc.com/Chainsaw.html

That dude probably does the nicest work of anything I've ever seen. The detail is immaculate. :bowdown:

Gph, I was just referencing that site in another thread!

His work is nice, very nice.

Viking Dans is nice also, but hes probably using automotive rattle cans at best. I keep asking him where he gets his flames and chainsaw guys but he wont respond.

Thats the reason he gets such big bucks, flames add 2hp.;)

RaisedByWolves said:
Viking Dans is nice also, but hes probably using automotive rattle cans at best.

I agree RBW. Many of his saws have original decals masked and sprayed around. Color doesn't look original. As for the decals he puts on them.... well, no comment. I'd prefer buying a beat-up saw that hasn't been touched. I can't say anything about the mechanical condition of saws he sells. In any case its appears true that the "nice" paint job adds a premium to what bidders are willing the pay.

Dan

Back