Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good deal. I will go back through the pages, and look see. I am with ya on the 110 percent care on the domestic job's. I agree. I do like youre thread, because I like to see a guy with knowledge doing what we love, and taking pride in his work, and good picture's too!:msp_smile:

P.S. I gotta find out the story, behind the pic, of you make kitty scared? Me, and my girlfriend love that. Is that your'e cat?

P.S. I gotta find out the story, behind the pic, of you make kitty scared? Me, and my girlfriend love that. Is that your'e cat?

No not my cat - I hate cats :)
I got that picture in an email years ago. I was laughing my head off when I saw it so put it as my Avatar on AS :)

You should have seen some of the humungous dams that were holding water for the cotton fields outside of Bourke. If anyone in South Australia was wondering where the water in the Murray Darling system was, it wouldn't have taken a detective to figure it out.

Google Cubbie Station.

The name alone is enough to raise the hackles of any NSW irrigator.
Their Qld. iirigation licence entitles them to 460,000 megalitres, equivalent to all NSW South Western irrigation entitlements.

[edit] older article on Cubbie and water. One of the few press articles I've read that addresses the evaporation issue of large, shallow dams. http://www.melaleucamedia.com/01_cms/details.asp?ID=257

Last edited:
Anybody down there ever have the fixed wedge style, or do you have the same problem with the end bending or tearing?

Anybody down there ever have the fixed wedge style, or do you have the same problem with the end bending or tearing?

The majority of the imported splitters we get here have the wedge on the hydraulic cylinder so that it can also be used in a vertical position. Having a decent fixed wedge however would be stronger than the plate.

The majority of the imported splitters we get here have the wedge on the hydraulic cylinder so that it can also be used in a vertical position. Having a decent fixed wedge however would be stronger than the plate.

I can't find the pics Matt had of the splitter but I think from memory it will stand up.

It wouldn't be hard to reinforce that plate. The only issue is it would end up a little longer for when you ran it in the stand up position. You could run it up on some blocks or alter the axle height or pivot point if it would allow.

I can't find the pics Matt had of the splitter but I think from memory it will stand up.

It wouldn't be hard to reinforce that plate. The only issue is it would end up a little longer for when you ran it in the stand up position. You could run it up on some blocks or alter the axle height or pivot point if it would allow.

Yeah, it seems to be a horizontal/vertical position splitter. I agree it definitely needs reinforcing underneath, but as you said it will effect the height in the stand up position.

Maybe Matt should burn softer wood instead :laugh:

As Rudy said, we tend to use vertical splitters as any decent sized timber is too damned heavy to lift into a cradle.

I've split some 36-40" White Box (e. albens) rounds and I could barley tip them on edge to roll to the splitter.

As Matt said somewhere yesterday, most of our Eucs sink instead of float, even when seasoned and bone dry.

Google Cubbie Station.

The name alone is enough to raise the hackles of any NSW irrigator.
Their Qld. iirigation licence entitles them to 460,000 megalitres, equivalent to all NSW South Western irrigation entitlements.

[edit] older article on Cubbie and water. One of the few press articles I've read that addresses the evaporation issue of large, shallow dams. The rise and rise of Cubbie Station

Uh oh, you mentioned Cubbie Station. Wash your mouth out...

Good article though Rick and spot on. Absolutely no boundaries those guys. I've even had Victorian irrigators say that all water is wasted once it hits the South Australian border - sad part is they meant it too.

That wood looks crazy hard!! Nice looking splitter, however I could see the beam bending under load a bit, maybe 40T is a bit too much for the materials used.

It is crazy hard mate but I'm sure my little Chinese friends never anticipated wood like this stuff...

Maybe Matt should burn softer wood instead :laugh:

Good idea Rudy. Now I just have to find some softer wood...

:)

As Rudy said, we tend to use vertical splitters as any decent sized timber is too damned heavy to lift into a cradle.

I've split some 36-40" White Box (e. albens) rounds and I could barley tip them on edge to roll to the splitter.

As Matt said somewhere yesterday, most of our Eucs sink instead of float, even when seasoned and bone dry.

Yeah mate I found that I started in the vertical position but it was hurting my back constantly bending over. I found it easier to lift the odd 50-60kg lump onto it horizontally because at least you were then working at waist height.

I also found this in one of the wood pieces! A very old hand forged nail :) I came extremely close (as you can see) to wrecking a chain. Only "just" missed it...

19062011001.jpg

19062011002.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, how close can you come to an 'oh ****' moment.

I only went "Oh ****" yesterday when I was splitting this piece and saw it. I do remember seeing a grey streak of colour running through the log when I ws blocking it up and knew it must have had some metal in there somewhere. Didn't realise I'd gotten this close to it :D

A bit close, but a miss is a miss :msp_biggrin:

True true. Certainly non calculated though.

Last edited:
I have had some real near misse's, as well. I remember a tree job me, and my partner had. Some of the rounds were about four foot plus. We ripped, and quartered a few. My buddy was cutting with his 660, brand new chain I might add. Made a noise I can't describe. Somehowe a 40d nail was in the round. Tree grew around it. It was all over for that one. But have made many cut's like your's, and missed alot of thing's purely by chance.

I have had some real near misse's, as well. I remember a tree job me, and my partner had. Some of the rounds were about four foot plus. We ripped, and quartered a few. My buddy was cutting with his 660, brand new chain I might add. Made a noise I can't describe. Somehowe a 40d nail was in the round. Tree grew around it. It was all over for that one. But have made many cut's like your's, and missed alot of thing's purely by chance.

Yeah I've been pretty lucky Norm. I've hit a few steel stakes that trees have grown around and wrecked a few .404" chains but apart from sand etc I haven't had too many issues.

Back