Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch! been there, done that. Funny thing is, you can actually feel gasoline on the backside of your eyeballs... :dizzy:

I blew my nose this morning and could still smell petrol. Even the skin on my head and face was burning when it happened. The fuel was warm too which probably made it worse. I was going to start squealing like a little girl when it happened but then realised I was the only one home so had to man it up a bit and fend for myself...
Yeah that row is ugly alright. Luckily I'm being paid by the hour :)

Last edited:
Haven't posted for a while as I haven't been doing much cutting for the last month. Have had a few other things on then last weekend it was over 110°f here. I put in a few hours but I was recovering from a flu and just didn't have it in me. I think I dropped about 120 trees and pulled the pin, sweating like a pig with a good headache!

Anyway, was at it again over the weekend just gone. Conditions on the Sunday were absolutely perfect for felling trees in this situation. The wind was a pretty strong SW (around 20mph) and very few trees on the Sunday had to be wedged. I dropped 196 on Saturday in 5 1/2 hours having to wedge 80% odd. On Sunday I went nuts (and completely wore myself out!) but managed to drop 532 in 10 1/2 hours. I went through exactly 20 litres of fuel, or 5.3 US gallons on the Sunday alone (I have to record every bit of fuel I use for taxation purposes). I used a 24" GB Pro Top all day (rebadged as Total II) and GB semi chisel. I hand filed all day to 30° (7/32" Vallorbe and guide) as I've found the more I pull the bar off to swap chains the greater the risk of getting chips jammed in the bar oil hole etc. The sap and crap from these Casuarinas gets everywhere. Filing also gives me a bit of a rest. I only had to file maybe 8 times all day and the GB chain (rebadged Carlton, not the new Chinese crap) held up well.
Probably 40% of the trees I felled on Sunday were between 24" and 42" so it was one of the harder lot of trees I've done. I did have one small run of trees that averaged around the 16" mark and I dropped 64 in 20 minutes - impossible to average that all day but with the strong wind is easy to do on shorter runs.

I ran an 8 tooth sprocket on the modded 7900 (thanks Brad, still running like a clock!) and Saturday arvo leaned her out a bit as it had been progressively running richer over the last few outings despite cleaning filters regularly. This made a massive difference to power and smoothness in the cut and although highly subjective I feel like it gained about 10% more grunt after leaning it out - it went from 4 stroking nearly non stop to only 4 stroking a tiny amount in the cut. I'm no 2 stroke guru but pulled the plug to check colour after WOT and it looked perfect. Tough call but the power increase when I leaned it out a bit was very noticable! This saw just keeps getting better. The HD filter kit(s) also continue to impress (I have one fitted to my stock 7900 as well).

I've been running nothing but BP Ultimate fuel (98 RON) and Jakmax branded Full Synthetic 2 stroke oil (made in the US by ALCO). This is excellent oil, way way better than the price would suggest and as far as I'm concerned every bit as good as the Castrol TTS I was using - in fact probably better, the fumes from the Jakmax oil aren't as hard on the eyes, nose, and sinuses!

There is also a patch of largish Polonia trees on the property that the company wants dropped. I dropped a couple (see photos and vid) and the wood was as soft as butter. Softer than any other wood I've cut and it stank too - hard to describe but quite pungent. Good fun though and good practice too. I may leave the rest of the Polonias there so that the local chainsaw guy can use them when he holds the next large tree felling course (>6m height). He is having a hard time finding larger trees to run his course on. The wood looks to be useless although I have cut a couple of logs to leave to see how it fares in regard to splitting etc.

Anyway...

Polonia Patch...
21112009591.jpg

Dropped Polonia (one of the larger ones)...
21112009592.jpg

[/IMG]

What do you think of that Polonia? we have that on the east coast, but everyone calls it coffey wood. The thin ring trees bring or used to bring crazy money, but i have never cut one i dont think, i may have cut one that was real small, i remember thinking that the rings where a good but tighter than that of the others around that area but it was no candidate for a log....

What do you think of that Polonia? we have that on the east coast, but everyone calls it coffey wood. The thin ring trees bring or used to bring crazy money, but i have never cut one i dont think, i may have cut one that was real small, i remember thinking that the rings where a good but tighter than that of the others around that area but it was no candidate for a log....

What I heard was that its a light but very tough (springy) wood. I'm not sure what it's really used for out here as its rare in this area. These have grown relatively fast though so no tight growth rings here. Stinks a lot when you cut it and seems very soft. Not sure if Bob (BobL) has ever used it for anything but he seems to have good knowledge on most woods as he hangs around a lot on Woddworking Forums etc.

Great photo's as usual Matt.

I dunno what the hell is going on around here, but I see those bloody angled back cuts all the time now, but don't know who is responsible.

I have herd that we ship it to China or something so they can make ceremonial shoes for weddings or something wacky.

& soft it is, brittle too...

Last edited by a moderator:

I dunno what the hell is going on around here, but I see those bloody angled back cuts all the time now, but don't know who is responsible.

Great snaps!!!

I noticed the angled back cuts and really deep face on the weathered stumps too.

Y'all need to ask around a bit.

Somewhere in your neck of the woods is a transplanted Midwestern Yankee Farmer.;)

I dunno where or how it started, but there's PLENTY of stumps identical to those in every woodlot and windrow around here.

Those pics are making me jealous.
No snow, no Greenbrier, no Poison Ivy. I gotta go to a golf course to find tree's like that here!!

NICE!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah I know Rick. Basically every tree I see cut down, even from most of the pro mobs, have angled back cuts. There is a local company called Riverland High Works. I've checked some of their stumps and they've been Mickey Mouse. Those guys know what they're doing but generally do all their work from high lift trucks now.

Great snaps!!!

I noticed the angled back cuts and really deep face on the weathered stumps too.

Y'all need to ask around a bit.

Somewhere in your neck of the woods is a transplanted Midwestern Yankee Farmer.;)

I dunno where or how it started, but there's PLENTY of stumps identical to those in every woodlot and windrow around here.

Those pics are making me jealous.
No snow, no Greenbrier, no Poison Ivy. I gotta go to a golf course to find tree's like that here!!

NICE!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah when I was cutting trees down in Tasmania you had to fight your way through Bracken and Blackberry. Had more chance of dying getting to the tree than actually felling it :)

I'm guilty of the odd deep face cut too :) When you have funny shaped trunks the 7900 spikes really don't cut the mustard and won't dig into an angled trunk very well. The bottom spikes need to face down and not have a slight upward hook on the points - they tend to slide along the bark on some trunk shapes and not dig in.

Angled backcuts though - they never seem to end...

Last edited:
[snip]
The bottom spikes need to face down and not have a slight upward hook on the points - they tend to slide along the bark on some trunk shapes and not dig in.

Angled backcuts though - they never seem to end...

You're not the first to notice that either Matt, Someone on here or RS made some new dogs up with the top two thirds the same as stock, and the bottom one angled as you say for the same reason.

[snip]

[snip]

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

One of the old cowboys here was besotted with the US, he always flew the US flag from a flag pole in his front yard, drove Chev duallies and F series Fords, called his place a 'Ranch', ran Texas Longhorn cattle (first time I'd ever seen them) and would bung on a Yank accent all the time.
He only died Friday night, and apparently wanted his ashes scattered in Montana.

...He'd be the nearest suspect, but I don't think old Dave was responsible. :laugh:

I was looking into the commercial import of parts a little while back and the magic A$1000 threshold is written into the rules for private imports.
Over that you'll pay duty (IIRC saws are 0% and bars are 5%) + GST.

Ordered and payed over &1000 (including shipping) for another 372XP on the 12/1/09 and received it today, 12/7/09 with no duties owing.

Yet to be hit with these duties. (Touch wood).

Are they including shipping in that $1000 threshold?

Last edited:
Ordered and payed over &1000 (including shipping) for another 372XP on the 12/1/09 and received it today, 12/7/09 with no duties owing.

Yet to be hit with these duties. (Touch wood).

Are they including shipping in that $1000 threshold?

G'day Al.
Finally sorted it out and shipping/postage is not included in the AUD$1000 limit. Have forwarded my Credit Card details to them and would expect the parcel to arrive in a week or so.
Have attached the form from Customs with what I owe for people's perusal.
Best to keep under that AUD$1000 limit!
Matt

P.S. As you can see it added a significant amount to the total cost but oh well, still a good deal and thanks to Brad as well for helping me out getting the Custom's papers filled in. Even HE had to fill stuff out for them... :(

G'day Al.
Finally sorted it out and shipping/postage is not included in the AUD$1000 limit. Have forwarded my Credit Card details to them and would expect the parcel to arrive in a week or so.
Have attached the form from Customs with what I owe for people's perusal.
Best to keep under that AUD$1000 limit!
Matt

P.S. As you can see it added a significant amount to the total cost but oh well, still a good deal and thanks to Brad as well for helping me out getting the Custom's papers filled in. Even HE had to fill stuff out for them... :(

Thanks Matt.
Yeah as Brad said, brake it up sounds like the go.

That shipping seems ok, but at over $1k w/shipping I guess I was thinking that was a bit over the top. If that's AUD though then it's about average.

Yep. Didn't seem too bad.
Saw was a tad over $800 USD, but when wanting it shipped to Aus our choices become limited.

Matt, that's a hefty little extra.
Even gotta pay for their time.

Yep. Didn't seem too bad.
Saw was a tad over $800 USD, but when wanting it shipped to Aus our choices become limited.

Matt, that's a hefty little extra.
Even gotta pay for their time.

Yeah Al. Oh well, lessons learnt mate. I did classify it as a business purchase so not sure if that added any dollars. Regardless I still got a good deal, just not as good of a deal as I thought ;)
I suppose it opens a few eyes for the Aussies here and makes them remember to keep parcel value under AUD$1000. Err on the side of caution too in regard to the exchange rate.
Also pays to remember that if they decide to open any parcel, it doesn't matter what the DECLARED value is. You will get charged the extra duties and GST etc on what they VALUE the contents at, not what you paid :(

Latest posts

Back