Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt you're the real beast.lol I'm still amazed at the number of trees you can fell in a day.:bowdown: Glad to here your work ported 7900 is still running like a top. The warmer the air the less dense the air is, so yes your saws will run rich in hot weather leaning out the H needle on the carb, it's the opposite when the weather turns cold.

Last edited:
I enjoy your pics and vids, as always. Did you get the new P&C for your old 7900 yet?

Haven't received it yet Brad but should be here any minute. The tracking number has said it's arrived but no luck as yet. I can't wait for both the new modded P&C plus the modded 390XP - will be excellent ;)

Matt you're the real beast.lol I'm still amazed at the number of trees you can fell in a day.:bowdown: Glad to here your work ported 7900 is still running like a top. The warmer the air the less dense the air is, so yes your saws will run rich in hot weather leaning out the H needle on the carb, it's the opposite when the weather turns cold.

Yeah Brad's 7900 is a very impressive unit. I know Brad estimated about a 15% speed improvement over stock from memory in regard to just cookie cutting but I swear in the real world on longer bars in larger wood that it is FAR faster than a 15% improvement over stock.
Thanks for the info re: tuning. I play around a bit and know what has to be done but forget the finer points like you mentioned (re: temp).
Conditions on the weekend were pretty cool for a change though, not much sweating going on at my end. The windspeed and direction was absolutely perfect to get a lot of trees down. I had absolutely no problems with any trees as even the leaners fell over easily with the wind.

I shave and shower regularly so look and smell a tad less beasty than you might think ;)

I shave and shower regularly so look and smell a tad less beasty than you might think ;)

Hahahaha Funny thing is I need to trim my full beard pretty bad.:)

Your 7900 runs close to my EHP 7900 so I'd say in bigger wood it's likely 20-25% over stock. Sure some can get more out of a 7900, but it will severely reduce the saws durability. When I had my saws ported EHP asked if I wanted a cookie cutter or a work saw, my 7900 is a work saw, and my 372 is a bit of both.

Be careful out there Matt, and keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Your 7900 runs close to my EHP 7900 so I'd say in bigger wood it's likely 20-25% over stock. Sure some can get more out of a 7900, but it will severely reduce the saws durability.

Andy, can i ask what you info or fact your basing the over 25% increase in performance = severely reduced durability on?

Matt, great pics and thread

cheers,
Serg

cheers,
Serg

Thanks Serg. I might as well get some photos and vids when I can and share them around. It's a different type of tree felling situation to most so I'm glad some people are finding it interesting :) I'm running out of interesting things to post though as after 5000 trees it is tending to get a bit repetitive.

I was thinking of dropping a tree on my work vehicle just to liven the thread up a bit! After all it is a brand new Ford Ranger dual cab (rebadged Mazda BT50) and despite free fuel etc, it doesn't hold a candle to my current model personal vehicle (Nissan D40 Navara TD manual dual cab). The Rangers/BT50's really are cheap and nasty with a capital "C" and "N".

There you go Matt, sell tickets.

Problem is Al I'd have to pay people to tag along ;)

Last edited:
Hahahaha Funny thing is I need to trim my full beard pretty bad.:)

Your 7900 runs close to my EHP 7900 so I'd say in bigger wood it's likely 20-25% over stock. Sure some can get more out of a 7900, but it will severely reduce the saws durability. When I had my saws ported EHP asked if I wanted a cookie cutter or a work saw, my 7900 is a work saw, and my 372 is a bit of both.

Be careful out there Matt, and keep up the good work.

I'd love to go the Yeti-esque look as it would match the tree felling/logger type image but the fiancé may not be too happy about it :)

You know Andy how every now and then with saws, cars, motorbikes etc you get that feeling that you need more power? Especially after extended use? I don't have that feeling at all with Brad's 7900. As far as I'm concerned I would not want to change a thing on this saw - it has done everything I've asked of it without skipping a beat. Up to and including a 32" bar it will pull them easily with non skip semi chisel in any wood I've tackled. Going above a 32" bar on a 7900 will push the limit of the oiler anyway, hence the modded 390XP I've got coming from Brad (and the extra modded P&C and modded muffler to fit to my stock 7900 - damn these modded saws!!!). The 390XP will fill the gap between this 7900 and my 3120. The 3120 is just way too much of a handful for extended use - the big old girl will be retired to basically milling only or the odd monster tree (I have about a 7' dead Redgum to drop soon so she'll get a run then). Apart from a backup saw in the 50cc class (I already have a 5100-S) I have no need for any further saws although if an old Stihl or something comes along who knows :) I'm not even sure if I need another 50cc saw, the 7900's will do everything a 5100-S will although they are a bit heavier to throw around.

There is absolutely no way that someone could throw a 3120 around for 10 1/2 hours like I threw the 7900 around on Sunday and drop the same amount of trees - it defies physics as far as I'm concerned :) If you tried you would most surely curl up in the foetal position sucking your thumb and die...sobbing...

And if not, get yourself tested ;)

It's like expecting a semi to keep up with a Porsche around a tight twisty track!

That was meant to be a short post again :(

Last edited:
Thanks Serg. I might as well get some photos and vids when I can and share them around. It's a different type of tree felling situation to most so I'm glad some people are finding it interesting :) I'm running out of interesting things to post though as after 5000 trees it is tending to get a bit repetitive.

I was thinking of dropping a tree on my work vehicle just to liven the thread up a bit! After all it is a brand new Ford Ranger dual cab (rebadged Mazda BT50) and despite free fuel etc, it doesn't hold a candle to my current model personal vehicle (Nissan D40 Navara TD manual dual cab). The Rangers/BT50's really are cheap and nasty with a capital "C" and "N".

Problem is Al I'd have to pay people to tag along ;)

i'll be down sometime in the new year to say gday matt the relies are givin me a hard time about visiting them so i might spend a week or so in barmera. seen a funny thing on me way home from work today, a fc holden ute towing a stx navara wish id had me camera dont see that to often eh.

i'll be down sometime in the new year to say gday matt the relies are givin me a hard time about visiting them so i might spend a week or so in barmera. seen a funny thing on me way home from work today, a fc holden ute towing a stx navara wish id had me camera dont see that to often eh.

Give us a call for sure mate. Will catch up for a beer :) Bring your saws!!!
I've been up swimming in Lake Bonney lately with the heat, not too bad at the moment despite getting pretty saline.
An FC Holden Ute towing a D40 Navara? That I can handle. If it was a Ford ute I'd be bursting into tears!

Andy, can i ask what you info or fact your basing the over 25% increase in performance = severely reduced durability on?

cheers,
Serg

No fact at all on the 25% It's a different number on each engine. Take the ms660, stock the mufflers are so restrictive just opening up the muffler will likely give you close to 20%. However you can only push a given internal combustion engine so far past it's original output before you start to have problems.

Back again.
Spent 9 hours today back on the property and managed to drop 303 trees. Had some really big, average trees on most of the runs today. Ran the 32" bar for most of the day and it still pulled up short on many of the trees.
Used about 4 gallons of fuel and once again had to lean the modded 7900 out. It is now running like it was when it arrived again with plenty of grunt. Also cracked out my old 7900 and dropped about 70 trees with it using LGX chain. It held up well and despite being spoilt with the modded saw the stock 7900's still command respect. A good SW wind was also present but still had to wedge about 25% of trees.

Had to put this photo in, don't think I can beat this perfection...ever... ;)

11102009474.jpg

29112009618.jpg

View from lookout again...

29112009621.jpg

29112009622.jpg

Lookout in the background...

29112009625.jpg

And a poor Ringtail Possum that must have been up in the fork of this bifurcated Casuarina I dropped. Little guy got in a bad spot and the tree landed straight across his back as it split as it fell. Finished him off with a stick across the head. Pretty sad, I like these things...

29112009624.jpg

And my first busted chain ever. It was mid cut and didn't hit anything - 1/2 of the drivelink looked like it had been cracked for a while as it was discoloured and not a recent crack. Had seen a lot of use but still had 75% of the cutters left...

29112009626.jpg

The manager caught up with me today and ran through a few of the other farms where they want the windbreaks dropped. There will be heaps more...

Last edited:
Great stump Matt, dead-on for sure. It looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you. If only we had that much falling work here...

Too bad on the Ringtail, they must be pretty docile animals?

Great stump Matt, dead-on for sure. It looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you. If only we had that much falling work here...

Too bad on the Ringtail, they must be pretty docile animals?

Yeah the Ringtails are generally seen around the river and love living in the Redgums - I was very surprised to see one out on this place. They are pretty docile little fellas but if you pick one up and they get angry they'll do basically the same damage as a cat. Cute they are but they'll tear you up pretty well if they want ;)

I couldn't help posting a piccy of that stump, it made up for some of the shockers I did today...

Too bad about the possum Matt.
Yep - I like the stump :clap:

And BTW your rakers are spot on.
attachment.php

Gullet width to raker depth is 9.33 which makes the cutting angle 6.11º
The profile suggests you are using a filoplate?

Chain does look a touch dry.

Great work
Cheers

How are you doing Matt?
Is that chain getting plenty of oil?
The build up of sap on the chain usually suggests a lack of oil.

Yes that is the perfect stump.

All good Al thanks mate. The saw seems to be using a similar amount of oil per tank of fuel as it should be. I have the oiler set flat out. These trees are super sappy though, even when I was using the 3120 with .404" and the oiler maxed on a 32" bar the sap still built up. I'll recheck the oil output though, I did think it was struggling a bit too much on the 32" bar this morning...

Too bad about the possum Matt.
Yep - I like the stump :clap:

And BTW your rakers are spot on.
Gullet width to raker depth is 9.33 which makes the cutting angle 6.11º
The profile suggests you are using a filoplate?

Chain does look a touch dry.

Great work
Cheers

G'day Bob. Can't get away with anything when you're around mate! You've turned a simple photo into a science experiment. Good stuff! I did actually use a File-O-Plate but took the rakers down just a tad more than the plate suggested. It has been filed a few times since though and was cutting absolutely perfect. I agree the chain seemed a bit drier than normal, however I also noticed this on my stocker 7900 with a 20" bar that I used for a bit today. I have a feeling it is just the sappy wood but could be wrong. I'll have to take more notice next time, and yeah sad about the poor possum. I really like the Ringtails, the Brushtails are a bit feral though...

G'day Bob. Can't get away with anything when you're around mate! You've turned a simple photo into a science experiment.
Show me some data and I can't resist the urge to analyse it!

. I have a feeling it is just the sappy wood but could be wrong. I'll have to take more notice next time,
Could be! A guy I know that was cutting a lot of tuart used to hang a spray pack of diesel on his belt and used to spray his chain with it in between cuts - you're probably going hell for leather so you won't want to stop between cuts.

and yeah sad about the poor possum. I really like the Ringtails, the Brushtails are a bit feral though...
Yeah I heard that too.

Latest posts

Back