Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get your 390XP yet?

Hi Brad.
Not yet mate. Australian Customs have got hold of the package and now I have to fill out a heap of forms and get them to release it. Value was over AUD$1000 so they snatched it! I rang them and to be honest they guy was a real prick. I've had the forms for a few days so just have to fill them out and fax them off. Absolute minefield of garbage :(

Hi Brad.
Not yet mate. Australian Customs have got hold of the package and now I have to fill out a heap of forms and get them to release it. Value was over AUD$1000 so they snatched it! I rang them and to be honest they guy was a real prick. I've had the forms for a few days so just have to fill them out and fax them off. Absolute minefield of garbage :(

Had been wondering what's been going on with this saw as it's been some time.
Haven't had any issues in the past with customs, but hear of issues from others.
The word is you classify the contents as parts.
I have a new 372 coming out from the States so will be interesting.

Isn't it easier with the saws if the value is listed as being lower? I shipped a heap of saws to OZ way back when and I would take the spark plug out and list them as a "non-runner for parts" and put the value at $200.

Isn't it easier with the saws if the value is listed as being lower? I shipped a heap of saws to OZ way back when and I would take the spark plug out and list them as a "non-runner for parts" and put the value at $200.

Yeah sounds about it Jacob.

The last couple of saws I bought being a couple of years ago with no issues (over$1000).
Don't know if this came down to luck, or being a recent thing.

Had been wondering what's been going on with this saw as it's been some time.
Haven't had any issues in the past with customs, but hear of issues from others.
The word is you classify the contents as parts.
I have a new 372 coming out from the States so will be interesting.

Contents were classified as parts but declared value was over AUD$1000 so they've nabbed it :( Not sure what extra I'll be up for yet but not the easiest mob to deal with I've already found out. Once the magic AUD$1000 is exceeded they're all over it like a fly on a turd ;)

I was looking into the commercial import of parts a little while back and the magic A$1000 threshold is written into the rules for private imports.
Over that you'll pay duty (IIRC saws are 0% and bars are 5%) + GST.

Last edited:
I was looking into the commercial import of parts a little while back and the magic A$1000 threshold is written into the rules for private imports.
Over that you'll pay duty (IIRC saws are 0% and bars are 5%) + GST.

Rick- that's good to know. I shipped a new 575XPG to France late last year and the poor guy had to pay 25% duty on the 'listed' value. To make things somewhat believable I took the spark plug out and the muffler off and listed the value for parts at $250, and then shipped the muffler separately. Austria was worse though, that guy had to pay 40% on a new Onan short block for an industrial generator. :cry:

Great thread! Awesome show! Man I wish I had a property like that to just fell trees as far as the eye could see. Great stuff!

I know this is late in the game, but just a suggestion MCW when looking for speed on those smaller ones and maybe some bigger ones, once you put the face in, just flip the saw over and make the back cut. Its a little awkward at first, but it will put less strain on the saw and you and save the time of walking around to the other side of the tree.

Again great show and great job! I envy that job you've got there! :cheers:

I just back-bar the back cuts...that's the fastest of all.

Yeah I do that on the smaller trees under about 20" as it does save heaps of time. When I do need to wedge though (ie: with no wind) I'll swap to the other side as I am dominant right handed so easier to drive in wedges.
I'd drive wedges straight into my legs if I swing left handed with my little sledge. I am unco as all hell left handed ;)

Back again and trying to include a few more "original" type photos as they are all starting to look the same. Most of the windbreaks now left on the main property are tight with citrus still being picked either side. The wind was playing around today so only dropped 65 on a different property. I left the main property alone and will do so until the remaining citrus has been picked. The Casuarinas I dropped today are the oldest trees across all the properties. In my wisdom I left the 32" bar hanging on the wall at home (despite bringing the chains!) so took them on with the 24" bar. A 32" bar would have made the job a LOT easier. To be honest this wood was that tough even the 3120 would have been considered.
These trees hadn't been irrigated for many years and despite the main lot of Casuarinas being soft these were HARD. The old Snellerized 7900 would not easily pull a 24" bar and well set up semi chisel chain with an 8 pin sprocket. I ended up fitting a 7 pin sprocket on it and it was happy again! These trees were landing with one massive thump and I even ended up with some onlookers for a while as the area where I was working was adjacent to a main road. Every tree that hit the deck engulfed the road with dust - hence the attention.
This run of 65 older trees is the most fun I've ever had tree felling. They had massive canopies and decent trunks. To give you an idea of how hard the cutting was I was averaging 4-5 trees per tank with a 24" bar!!!

06122009642.jpg

06122009643.jpg

06122009644.jpg

06122009646.jpg

In the centre of the run there was an old horse yard. One of the roof beams was touching the tree so I decided to cut off the end of the beam with the saw in case there was any unforseen load on the tree.

06122009647.jpg

And of course I'll never hit the tin with the saw while I'm doing it will I???

06122009649.jpg

Oh yes I will. Scratch one nicely sharpened chain...

This run took a while simply because the trees were so big. A lot of wedging was required, and the wood was so damn hard. These particular trees would make excellent firewood or even be good for slabbing. The growth rings on these were very close. It took about 3 1/4 hours for the 65 trees.

06122009650.jpg

06122009651.jpg

I went out yesterday as well for 7 hours and dropped nearly 300 in good wind. Nothing different there though so no piccys.
I have a few other tree jobs to do for people over the next few weeks so may even get some happy snaps there.

Last edited:
Matt, you're really making me grit my teeth here. :)

Constipated? :)

A few more photos...

These trees were felled about 7 weeks ago. As you can see they are reshooting which is a big concern for the property owners...

06122009638.jpg

And a run of the most feral, shaggy Casuarinas on the property. These are a different species but unsure which Casuarina. I'll wait for a howling Southerly before tackling these otherwise they'll take for ever (P.S. I am NOT responsible for that massacre of the trees at the front and those hideous angled back cuts - nobody seems to claim responsibility when I ask around!)...

06122009639.jpg

06122009641.jpg

Oh and a happy snap (despite the lack of smiling!) that I sent to my fiancee who is away for the weekend seeing her pregnant sister (note the lady's sanitary pads lining my helmet! They soak up sweat like there is no tomorrow. When we hit 110°f I may even have to go for the "heavy days" ones! Heh heh)

06122009636.jpg

And another one of the larger trees I dropped today. You can see my oh so tiny 7900 bottom right...

06122009645.jpg

Had a another good story from yesterday. Decided to upgrade the old foam fuel tank breather to the new updated version in my older, stock 7900 when I got home. I didn't realise but as I was blowing the area clean I must have pressurised the tank via the breather. As I pulled the rubber breather out I wore a heap of BP Ultimate right in the face and eyes. It burnt like all hell and somehow despite being blind managed to get into the house, undress myself and get in the shower. The old eyes were bloodshot and watering for about 2 hours. I went out to the pub with a mate last night for tea and a few beers and looked like I'd been smoking the whacky tobaccy or something :)
Feeling like new today though and probably did me some good!

Last edited:
And a run of the most feral, shaggy Casuarinas on the property. These are a different species but unsure which Casuarina. I'll wait for a howling Southerly before tackling these otherwise they'll take for ever.

That's one ugly looking row...

Had a another good story from yesterday. Decided to upgrade the old foam fuel tank breather to the new updated version in my older, stock 7900 when I got home. I didn't realise but as I was blowing the area clean I must have pressurised the tank via the breather. As I pulled the rubber breather out I wore a heap of BP Ultimate right in the face and eyes. It burnt like all hell and somehow despite being blind managed to get into the house, undress myself and get in the shower. The old eyes were bloodshot and watering for about 2 hours. I went out to the pub with a mate last night for tea and a few beers and looked like I'd been smoking the whacky tobaccy or something :)
Feeling like new today though and probably did me some good!

Ouch! been there, done that. Funny thing is, you can actually feel gasoline on the backside of your eyeballs... :dizzy:

Back