Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting a saw has a 50-50 chance of making you a mechanic instead of a lumberjack. All kinds of things have chances of making you the opposite of what you thought. You found the one, but its like renting your favorite saw. Buy the damn thing already.

Before you are buying an antique, because they are always cheaper here. ;)

Actually I'm quite happy with how I am and so is Tracy. Getting married (which I will do one day for sure) won't make either of us any happier or less happy.
It will make some of the legal things easier though :)
I'd better not tell Tracy I need to buy her. That'd start an argument as I wouldn't be able to afford her ;)

Only problem is the AVmounts start to where out......hahahahahaha!......can't beat a tight set of mounts.....Well, unless your AVmounts are looser than hers.......hahahahahaha!

Only problem is the AVmounts start to where out......hahahahahaha!......can't beat a tight set of mounts.....Well, unless your AVmounts are looser than hers.......hahahahahaha!

She's a lot fitter than me Dennis :) I've only got 4 months on her but she looks 10 years younger. All those skin care products over the years really start to take affect about now ;)

Is there anybody but me who wonders if Dennis is always half in the bag when he posts, if he actually thinks he is funny or if he is just a flaming #######?

Should we start a poll?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited:
Actually I'm quite happy with how I am and so is Tracy. Getting married (which I will do one day for sure) won't make either of us any happier or less happy.
It will make some of the legal things easier though :)
I'd better not tell Tracy I need to buy her. That'd start an argument as I wouldn't be able to afford her ;)

I have to agree with the fact that getting married won't make you any happier :rock:

I have been very happily Unmarried to the same woman for 28 years , And see no reason to change things

Good luck !!! :blob2:

Is there anybody but me who wonders if Dennis is always half in the bag when he posts, if he actually thinks he is funny of if is just a flaming #######?

He does seem to hahaha a lot. Maybe he's actually a dentist with a leaking nitrous oxide bottle in his office?

Got back out to another one of the corporate properties this morning to fell part of a eucalypt windrow. Nothing large here or overly tricky. The maximum tree diameter was about 20" with a few leaners in amongst them. It was more of a case of looking up and trying not to hang them up in each other. I went through first and dropped the easy ones then reassessed the others working out which ones I could "domino" into others to help push them where I wanted them to go. In the end I had a 3500kg rope off the back of the ute and swung about 8 trees around on the rope to avoid sending them over the citrus orchard. Unlike softwoods if you try to get tricky on hardwoods like Eucalypt they'll sheer through the hingewood and go where they want anyway.
Piccys...

210420122233.jpg

210420122234.jpg

Messy in the middle...

210420122235.jpg

Speaking of hangups!

210420122236.jpg

210420122237.jpg

Part way through...

210420122238.jpg

This was the biggest tree there...

210420122241.jpg

And my little Husky 353 exhibiting that famous sideways balance that Sawtroll talks about (Hi Sawtroll!)...

210420122242.jpg

Oh hang on, the 390XP has fallen over too and that's an inboard clutch. Must have been my driving instead...

Also note the missing screw from my 7900's front muffler port. I only noticed this when I got home later! Another self tapper and all was good.

Last edited:
Simple case of running a rope off of the back of my ute and swinging heavy leaners around on the rope. If I was doing this to heavier trees I'd have used chains and not rope. This is a handy little trick to get trees going where they don't want to go.

210420122239.jpg

A wind also came up which really didn't help much and it caught me out on a couple of trees where I got the 7900 stuck and had to cut it out with the little 353 - the trees were too small to get a wedge in behind the bar and I couldn't be stuffed doing any fancy boring cuts etc. The more hingewood left on eucalypts the better (and safer). I decided to run a loop of new Carlton full chisel on the little 353. Up until today I've been running Carlton semi chisel. I have to say that out of the box I'm not a big fan of Carlton LM full chisel. It seems to need a bit of work to get it cutting properly unlike Stihl RSC or Oregon LGX. I was running RSC on the 7900 with an 8 pin rim and a well used yet still like new GB Pro Top in 20" 72DL 3/8" .050".
The little Husky had a GB Powertech (solid but fixed sprocket) in 18" .325" 72DL .050" with an 8 pin rim. Great little saw this thing and one of the reasons I'd like to get my mitts on a 346XP one day.

Ended up dropping 60 trees in about 90 minutes. Most of them basically felled themselves with a few quick cuts...

210420122240.jpg

Oh and I found the stench in my shed finally after laying some baits that got absolutely mauled. I'm gonna call this guy "Roborat" as he knocked down quite a bit of strychnine wheat I laid out. Normally if mice or rats eat strychnine baits they get about 18" away at best. He was on the other side of the shed and had come back twice for a feed...

210420122243.jpg

Sad part is I only found him by tracking the blowflies :D

I have a video too (nothing special) but will get it up ASAP.

Oh and I thought I'd put up some Google Earth images to show you guys the area of these properties. I've been working in the red areas and today was where the red arrow is. The Casuarina windbreaks stand out as darker, thicker lines of trees...

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

The last property was here where the larger Casuarinas were...

GoogleEarth_Image2.jpg

The first properties were here. I have also outlined other windbreaks that I have felled for them. The only North/South or South/West windbreak that wasn't felled is higlighted in green. There was about 8,000 trees felled in this image alone...

GoogleEarth_Image_2.jpg

Last edited:
Now that was nice, some perspective for us. Thought maybe you had felled all the trees within a days drive lol.

I always like the satellite pictures. I work with farmers applying fertilizer and lime, most now own GPS steering units, so their rows are straight, but often do not follow contours or the fence rows any more. Did the same earlier when drilling in the quarries, our boss decided that the quarry faces would all be on compass headings of 45 degree increments. Had a few customers that protested.

Some great pics there. What's that curving light blue strip in the upper left corner of the first Google Earth pic? Is is a river? Looks like some very interesting terrain indeed.

And the video. Nothing fancy and unedited. My usual camera wielding fiancee couldn't make it :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wE50YRYAVXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now that was nice, some perspective for us. Thought maybe you had felled all the trees within a days drive lol.

I always like the satellite pictures. I work with farmers applying fertilizer and lime, most now own GPS steering units, so their rows are straight, but often do not follow contours or the fence rows any more. Did the same earlier when drilling in the quarries, our boss decided that the quarry faces would all be on compass headings of 45 degree increments. Had a few customers that protested.

Actually all the properties I've worked on are within 40 minutes of where I live. Basically all of our farmers here are running auto steer and GPS ground correction too :cheers:

Some great pics there. What's that curving light blue strip in the upper left corner of the first Google Earth pic? Is is a river? Looks like some very interesting terrain indeed.

That blue strip is the Murray River, Australia's biggest river and the only reason these larger horticultural plantations exits in this area due to the water supply.

Good stuff as usual there Matt,got a nice bit of firewood there.:)

Good old firewood :) Sorry Andrew but unlike yourself I haven't got 500 tonne split and ready for winter ;) I'll leave this wood for the companies' employees if they want it. Bringing a trailer load back 40 minutes really isn't worth it for me as I have a whole lot of wood a lot closer than this I haven't picked up yet.

Last edited:
Great stuff Matt. We have swung and bull roped many trees, works really good! I was also impressed with your google earth detail. I use that all the time. REP sent down under:rock:

Great stuff Matt. We have swung and bull roped many trees, works really good! I was also impressed with your google earth detail. I use that all the time. REP sent down under:rock:

Thanks Norm. Good old Google Earth :D Pity a lot of their maps here are so old...

LOL! There is another map site. I will find out but Jeanie's dad and I, as we were having easter brunch, were admiring the clarity, and quality as we zoomed in on local marijuana patches in the hills above.:msp_w00t:

Try nearmap.com, their maps are updated regularly and usually a bit clearer than google... but this may be different in your area.

Back