Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blue blow gun has some kind of venting just before the end.Can anyone explain why it's like that.

Blow guns can be hazardous if they blow dirt, debris, filings, etc. into your eyes, etc. They can also 'inject' air and junk through the skin at high enough pressure, which can lead to injury, infection, embolism, and other nasty stuff.

So in the US, blow guns are supposed to be limited to 30 PSI maximum pressure by OSHA standards. The holes at the end are there so that if you 'dead-end' a nozzle against your skin, the air will vent out the sides instead of injecting into your skin.

Philbert

Some blow guns are also designed like that to force a cone of air out the sides so any debris you loosen up will not come back in your face. I think they classify them as 'safety blowguns'?

Ah, what does the OSHA know? I run the blowgun I have up to its 90 psi max sometimes. Makes cleaning off the floor of the barn a snap, just blow the stuff outside. :)

As for the risks, yes, it's a very bad idea to use a blow gun unless you are smarter than the average houseplant and you have a good idea of the damage it can do.

You should also be doing something to protect the hands from the carb cleaner or whatever the hell you sprayed on that thingamajiggybob.

I usually hold the part with a shop towel, and try to keep my hand out of the way of the air flow. Works well, shop towel(s) makes a good barrier to catch errant mists of carb cleaner or whatever cleaner/fuel/blah blah I used.

Ah, what does the OSHA know? I run the blowgun I have up to its 90 psi max sometimes. Makes cleaning off the floor of the barn a snap, just blow the stuff outside. :)

As for the risks, yes, it's a very bad idea to use a blow gun unless you are smarter than the average houseplant and you have a good idea of the damage it can do.

You should also be doing something to protect the hands from the carb cleaner or whatever the hell you sprayed on that thingamajiggybob.

I usually hold the part with a shop towel, and try to keep my hand out of the way of the air flow. Works well, shop towel(s) makes a good barrier to catch errant mists of carb cleaner or whatever cleaner/fuel/blah blah I used.

Yup. 150psi for me at work. Works great for restyling your hair!

Or this

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/alIRmodqiOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yup. 150psi for me at work. Works great for restyling your hair!

Or this

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/alIRmodqiOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crazy sumbeetch. :dizzy: :msp_tongue:

Anybody Else 'Autopsy' Things That Break

Dishwasher died. Parts were not worth it compared to a new on on sale. Delivery guys will take it away and recycle the old one for free, but I could not help to take it apart first and see how it was put together, each component, etc. No intention of fixing it, just wanted to look at its guts and how it works.

A lot of people would just throw it away and buy a new whatever. Anybody else have the compulsion to do this with broken stuff?

Philbert

Dishwasher died. Parts were not worth it compared to a new on on sale. Delivery guys will take it away and recycle the old one for free, but I could not help to take it apart first and see how it was put together, each component, etc. No intention of fixing it, just wanted to look at its guts and how it works.

A lot of people would just throw it away and buy a new whatever. Anybody else have the compulsion to do this with broken stuff?

Philbert

Yup. Almost everything. Well, maybe not a toaster, but.....

Philbert

Keep it, if it has a motor in it (I dunno if they do...) if it works, keep the motor. If it doesn't, tear the copper windings out and scrap it all... you'll get a lot more for it that way. Maybe keep the dishwasher shell for target practice or something like that... :)

Maybe keep the dishwasher shell for target practice or something like that... :)

It's very cleverly engineered, even if somewhat cheaply made (Whirlpool). Basically it is a plastic laundry tub with a pump/motor stuck up through the bottom, a couple of solenoids to control the water, and a door.

Most of the parts twist lock into place with a minimum of screws. Can't imagine it takes more than 20 - 30 minutes on the assembly line at a relaxed place. Too bad that 'designed for assembly' does not necessarily correlate to 'designed for maintainability'.

Interesting way to spend a few hours figuring it out.

Philbert

It's very cleverly engineered, even if somewhat cheaply made (Whirlpool). Basically it is a plastic laundry tub with a pump/motor stuck up through the bottom, a couple of solenoids to control the water, and a door.

Most of the parts twist lock into place with a minimum of screws. Can't imagine it takes more than 20 - 30 minutes on the assembly line at a relaxed place. Too bad that 'designed for assembly' does not necessarily correlate to 'designed for maintainability'.

Interesting way to spend a few hours figuring it out.

Philbert

Yeah, that 'new' stuff tends to be tricky and/or crappy. Can be a lot of :deadhorse: :bang::bang::bang: and some more :deadhorse: to get them apart and/or reliability wise.

Our new fridge is a POS. Should've kept the old one and painted it black. Mom and pops don't always listen, so we all get to hate a fridge and wish we never bought it. Already had a service call for a new control board, that was about 300 bucks right there for the board, forgot what the labor was, the guy spent about four or five hours working on the damn thing.

Ah, to have our old fridge back. That'd be a nice day, if we ever got it back.

I dont know why but i love just sitting down in this shed and getting outa the sun
DSCF0821.jpg
DSCF0819.jpg
DSCF0816.jpg
might get that atlas running again, old welder lol
p_00003.jpg
glad I got these to use lol
DSCF0386.jpg
DSCF0385.jpg
DSCF0383.jpg
the ultimate in backsaver technology lol
DSCF0811.jpg
I love that lift lifts my 77 ford project like nothing

Knocked out a clutch removal tool after an ebay Oregon clutch drum/sprocket showed up for the old Echo CS-701. Used a piece of paper to get an impression of the three holes in the clutched, transferred that to a piece of angle iron with a punch, drilled the holes, cut up the shank of a bolt to make three pins, set them in the holes with a hit from the punch (to snug the hole around the pin), checked fitment, and plugwelded the backs of the pins. Welded on a piece of square pipe, and got the clutch drum swapped out.

P5071048_1.jpg

if anyone needs to repaint any heavy equpiment let me know theres about 8 cans of high visibility yellow there lol. it's probally all that paint oil and chemicals that makes it smell so nice in the shed, almost makes me feel light headed lol
promac-best avatar on as. For some reason if you write a long post i find myself only reading the top half, so I hope you didnt write about how to build a time machine or where the fountain of youth is, if its not at the top of your posts ill never see it lol

if anyone needs to repaint any heavy equpiment let me know theres about 8 cans of high visibility yellow there lol. it's probally all that paint oil and chemicals that makes it smell so nice in the shed, almost makes me feel light headed lol
promac-best avatar on as. For some reason if you write a long post i find myself only reading the top half, so I hope you didnt write about how to build a time machine or where the fountain of youth is, if its not at the top of your posts ill never see it lol

:D very distracting, eh? :msp_w00t:

I'll be sure to post where the fountain of youth is in the top of the post box... if I ever find it. I feel like a 80 year old beat up and worn out guy sometimes. :( And I'm hardly 20 yet!!

:D very distracting, eh? :msp_w00t:

I'll be sure to post where the fountain of youth is in the top of the post box... if I ever find it. I feel like a 80 year old beat up and worn out guy sometimes. :( And I'm hardly 20 yet!!

same here well few days till I'm 20. i justify myself that spending a couple minutes to set the arms up on the lift to lift my quad to change tires is preserving my back for the future lol. but hey those 80 year old beat up guys got more knowledge in them than 10 20 year olds full of pi$$ and vinegar, so luckily I still got one to help me out and learn from.

same here well few days till I'm 20. i justify myself that spending a couple minutes to set the arms up on the lift to lift my quad to change tires is preserving my back for the future lol. but hey those 80 year old beat up guys got more knowledge in them than 10 20 year olds full of pi$$ and vinegar, so luckily I still got one to help me out and learn from.

How does someone so young know so much LOL I knew so much more at 20 than I do at 51? LOL watch out the older you get the dumber you get it seems to me?:hmm3grin2orange:You seem to have it figgered out already?How did you do that?:bang:

Philbert

Been doing that for longer than I can? LOL My Dad would get so pissed at me LOL At least now I can put them back together:clap: Only took 50 yrs.:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back