Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better yet, build something under your garage... :D They'll never find it or find out about it if you take the time to do it quietly in the night... :D

I wanna build a massive structure under the barn, but it'd take some time... and lots of work, and money too. I don't have the time and/or money... yet.

I feel very lucky. We live in a rural area that has no restrictions. No permits to buy. No building inspections at all except for electrical and septic. I can build whatever I want with no worries.

]Or build it big and get this guy to paint it:

It’s a shelf portrait! Chinese artist spends months creating incredible camouflage pictures | The Channel News

Or Google Liu Bolin

Philbert

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tool Repair

One of my Dremel tools overheated this week and stopped working. I checked the brushes and they were fine. After it cooled off it would start only if I manually spun the chuck. Now it 'seems' to work again (?). I e-mailed Dremel and asked if this model had some type of thermal re-set, or if the windings were probably fried.

Got back a nice note that they would repair the tool if I shipped it pre-paid ($5 ?) for a maximum of $32 + $4 s/h (equals about $40 - the price of a new one with a few accessories and maybe a case on sale). Since I have a few of these I will keep it as a parts tool if it fully croaks.

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. Black and Decker, DeWalt, and Porter Cable have guaranteed rebuild programs for their tools at their (combined) factory service center that is usually about half the list price of a new tool. If you totally trash your tool, or find one at a garage sale dirt cheap, they will completely rebuild it for a very reasonable price.

I think that they have factory service centers in most major cities.

Does not cover battery packs, but Batteries Plus will sometimes rebuild a battery pack for less than the cost of a new one.

Keep this in mind if something bad happens to one of your B&D, DeWalt, or PC electric tools, before you go out and buy a replacement.

Philbert

I've heard the new Dremel tools suck compared to the old ones...

You may just need new bearings... get them at a local bearing house or off of the internet. PM me if you would like a suggested place. Beware, if you order an out of stock part that is backordered, it will take a while before it gets to you.

I've heard the new Dremel tools suck compared to the old ones...

This is an older model (395 Type 5) - they said it was 22 years old but I know that I bought it in the last 10 years or so - might have been old stock.

I assumed that it was the windings because it got hot - did not think about the bearings. Have you replaced Dremel bearings before? Worth the cost/effort?

Thanks.

Philbert

Solvent

Checked in with another Forum today and noticed a home built parts washer .It utilized a stainless kitchen sink and other parts.If anyone is interested in seeing it I will provide a link or picture.Fella that built it uses a solvent called Agitene.I don't know anything about it but I'm sure you fellas that wash parts may know of this solvent.
Lawrence

Checked in with another Forum today and noticed a home built parts washer .It utilized a stainless kitchen sink and other parts.If anyone is interested in seeing it I will provide a link or picture.Fella that built it uses a solvent called Agitene.I don't know anything about it but I'm sure you fellas that wash parts may know of this solvent.
Lawrence

Never heard of that solvent... I use paint thinner.

I'd like to see pics and a list of parts for that washer, if you don't mind. I could use a big parts washer for um... the big stuff. :)

ProMac,Here is the thread from the other site that's the fella originally got the idea .His washer is a little different.I would like to post his version,but do you think that's AOKAY with our Moderators?.Build at your own risk!!
Lawrence
How to build a homemade parts washer, cleaner, environmentally safe solvent

Mods, please don't harm this man for a link.

I don't recall EXACTLY what the rules said, but I think it had something to do with other forums that fell under some category or something.

This is an older model (395 Type 5) - they said it was 22 years old but I know that I bought it in the last 10 years or so - might have been old stock.

I assumed that it was the windings because it got hot - did not think about the bearings. Have you replaced Dremel bearings before? Worth the cost/effort?

Thanks.

Philbert

I have three old Dremel tools ..... just keep an eye on eBay for them .... I don't use mine commercially, so it is a more cost-effective route. They can sometimes be found buried at flea markets and garage sales too. My local flea market has a lot of knockoff attachments for cheep too.

It's pretty easy to make a solvent tank out of a single-tub stainless steel sink (used one), 35gal barrel, submersible pump, and pop-rivet a couple hinges on the back of the sink along with a piece of sheet steel for a lid, and you're golden. You could cut the barrel in half, put legs on it, and a ball valve so it's easier to drain when you need to replace the solvent.

It's pretty easy to make a solvent tank out of a single-tub stainless steel sink (used one), 35gal barrel, submersible pump, and pop-rivet a couple hinges on the back of the sink along with a piece of sheet steel for a lid, and you're golden. You could cut the barrel in half, put legs on it, and a ball valve so it's easier to drain when you need to replace the solvent.
Sounds similar to what this fella ended up doing after he got the idea from the BMW site that I had posted the link to.Got to go be back later hockey game is back on.
Lawrence

Parts Washer- Homemade

Anyone get to check out what that fella came up with building his own version of the parts washer?
Thanks
Lawrence

Air compressor

Well I picked up a couple more fittings for the air line and bought an air chuck,is it called that if it's a longer version? Man,someone said air compressors can be addictive I can see why.I have one longer air blow gun and a shorter one as well.The blue blow gun has some kind of venting just before the end.Can anyone explain why it's like that.I know get some pictures up.I'm trying just getting sidetracked with other stuff.
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back