Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2yb3

ArboristSite Operative
How does someone so young know so much LOL I knew so much more at 20 than I do at 51? LOL watch out the older you get the dumber you get it seems to me?:hmm3grin2orange:You seem to have it figgered out already?How did you do that?:bang:

well thats what grandpa said and well hes got to be right, hes friggin old lol

2yb3

ArboristSite Operative
I can remember being a kid and bugging grandpa while he was working on a lowboy trailer for his semi in there or another project. used to be a big wood heater on the right, same as all the tool boxes, could barely move when he had some heavy machinery in there. Chairs were unheard of in the shop, he wouldnt take a break, couldnt too much on his plate
DSCF0809.jpg

I was in alberta when he passed, and didnt make the funeral, I always like spending time in the shop, will even just sit down and listen to the radio,. I screwed up on my savings and probally won't be able to buy the fairlane in time, finish what he started thing.

promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
I screwed up on my savings and probally won't be able to buy the fairlane in time, finish what he started thing.

The Fairlane? What's gonna happen to it? :(

If you're sentimental about stuff, I know exactly what that's like. I would regret selling anything that my grandpas gave me.

2yb3

ArboristSite Operative
The Fairlane? What's gonna happen to it? :(

A certain roofer/faller wants to buy it. She (grandma) wants 4k for it and well she said i had first dibs and would wait, she wouldnt take $800 a month for 5 months wanted all at once, apparently since i bought a cheap 4x4 off my uncle I no longer want the fairlane. She wants to sell that 70 electra so Ive been pushing that on classifieds to try and sell, so shell forget about the fairlane for a while, that or she will sell one of the quarter sections this summer and I might get it cheaper. Just a big headache at times
DSCF0815.jpg

promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
A certain roofer/faller wants to buy it. She (grandma) wants 4k for it and well she said i had first dibs and would wait, she wouldnt take $800 a month for 5 months wanted all at once, apparently since i bought a cheap 4x4 off my uncle I no longer want the fairlane. She wants to sell that 70 electra so Ive been pushing that on classifieds to try and sell, so shell forget about the fairlane for a while, that or she will sell one of the quarter sections this summer and I might get it cheaper. Just a big headache at times
DSCF0815.jpg

I sincerely hope you get it. It's a nice looking car. I bet grandpa wants you to have it.

Hopefully the tactic of the electra in the classifieds will help the Fairlane stay around long enough for you to buy it.

Maybe tell her you plan on selling the 4x4? Make sure you say 'plan' not 'promise to'... that way there is no 'you said you were selling it' going on...

That's how I plan to get away with keeping that Husky 350 that I got a while back, and any other saws I may acquire... :) I told mom "I plan to sell it..." Also, get enough saws together, and enough of them are the same color, she wouldn't be able to tell, especially if I had a special location for them all. :D

tbone75
DSCF0815.jpg

Love them old cars!!

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
My dishwasher 'autopsy' revealed that a small, rubber seal failed, allowing the top motor bearing to corrode and fail. Probably a 5 cent part.

Also found that you should not wash jars or bottles with paper labels on them. Apparently, the paper is hard for the dishwasher to 'digest', and we found some clumps of those.

Below is one of the more interesting components - the fabled dishwasher 'garbage disposal'. Looks to be about the size of the blade in a good size kitchen blender.

Philbert

attachment.php

promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
My dishwasher 'autopsy' revealed that a small, rubber seal failed, allowing the top motor bearing to corrode and fail. Probably a 5 cent part.

Also found that you should not wash jars or bottles with paper labels on them. Apparently, the paper is hard for the dishwasher to 'digest', and we found some clumps of those.

Below is one of the more interesting components - the fabled dishwasher 'garbage disposal'. Looks to be about the size of the blade in a good size kitchen blender.

Philbert

attachment.php

Replace that bearing and clean off the corrosion, and slap it back together... it may end up lasting longer than the new one you bought...

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Replace that bearing and clean off the corrosion, and slap it back together... it may end up lasting longer than the new one you bought...

Interesting idea.

The way it is designed requires a complete removal and tear down of the unit, then the motor, to get to the bearing (how I found it). Assuming that you could get a replacement bearing and seal. The parts guy said they only sell the replacement motor and pump as an assembly - $260 for a 5 year old dishwasher I replaced for $340.

Might have been possible to save if I knew ahead of time what the problem was, had unlimited time, and very limited money. But that would be a lot to invest into a cheap dishwasher. Too many other projects. Too many dishes piling up on the counter.

At least now I have some idea how they work, next time something goes wrong.

Philbert

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dishwasher

Philbert we have a Maytag about 5 years old.What a piece of junk!Quiet series my arse.Little things going time and again.So far I have been luck that I can fix it myself.I part that was the most problem was the door latch,it's plastic after you close for a few years it wears out.Lucky I talked to a repair guy going out the door where I bought the part.He said "ever replace one of those before" I said"No"
He told me how to do it and said "if you don't do it the way I told you you'll have a whole set of other problems".It all went well on the install but the thing is a lemon.
Lawrence

promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
Philbert we have a Maytag about 5 years old.What a piece of junk!Quiet series my arse.Little things going time and again.So far I have been luck that I can fix it myself.I part that was the most problem was the door latch,it's plastic after you close for a few years it wears out.Lucky I talked to a repair guy going out the door where I bought the part.He said "ever replace one of those before" I said"No"
He told me how to do it and said "if you don't do it the way I told you you'll have a whole set of other problems".It all went well on the install but the thing is a lemon.
Lawrence

Yep, all new appliances are POS. More so on the cheap ones rather than the really high end ones...

I'm going to tell you from a mistake my parents made... don't sell an 80's Amana fridge and buy a Maytag... we've had problems from day one with that POS Maytag, and it annoys me. Sure, we're saving money on the electric bill, but guess what, it goes into the repairs that have to be done on the damn thing. We've had it for two years, and have had 3 service calls...

Never had a problem with that Amana. Best damn fridge I've ever known. Lots of space too, and holds temps much better than this new POS we have.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I have been told that there are very few appliance manufacturers left:

Whirlpool, Fridgidare, Electrolux (which also owns half the chain saw brands!). Also Bosch and Samsung, and a few smaller companies.

But all the 'brand names' like Amana, Kitchen Aid, Maytag, Kenmore, etc. are made by the big 3.

So, just like your grandfather's McCulloch or Homelite is not what it used to be, forget the lonely Maytag repairman thing as well.

A few years back I bought a Maytag dehumidifier at the Home Depot, partially due to the name. It broke. Maytag said, "Oh, that's not ours." I got a list of 'official' repair sites for the non-Maytag Maytag. I called the closest one, about 20 miles away, across the city. Guy says he works out of his home, but he is not home during the day. 'Just leave it in the driveway, under the basketball hoop with a note on it, and I will get back to you in a few days'. Could I make this up? Took it back to HD and got a refund.

Philbert

attachment.php
attachment.php

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Using tools to fix tools

Well I'll start off by saying I LOVE MY TIG WELDER!

Anyway this is what happens when someone uses your wood splitter then doesn't know what he should do, person didn't put down the stand at the back that holds it from tipping over with a heavy round on it, and we have a 4way head on the splitter, and if you move the knife out it hits the stand when its in the up position, bends the crap out of the stand and now it wont go up or down.:msp_angry: So a sledge hammer to get it out and weld on a new pipe.

old pipe, hard to tell by the pic but its quite bent, that's very thick wall steel pipe.

attachment.php

After

attachment.php

Loving this TIG.

attachment.php

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Nice bead Will. Listen, I got a bunch of busted ****...if you need some more practice.:monkey:

Yes I love to weld!!!!! Bring it over, I got BEER! I almost like having broken stuff so I can fix it. Always feels so good to fix something yourself. I even used my lathe to cut the old weld off and face the plate so it sat perfectly square!!

DSS

Cowshot
Yes I love to weld!!!!! Bring it over, I got BEER! I almost like having broken stuff so I can fix it. Always feels so good to fix something yourself. I even used my lathe to cut the old weld off and face the plate so it sat perfectly square!!

LOL....I never had somebody offer to fix stuff AND give me beer at the same time!

I took welding in high school. I'm gonna buy a stick soon, just so I can patch some things up, my garage is already wired for it so I'm good there. I never tried tig though. You seem to have gotten the hang of it pretty quick, nice job.:clap:

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
LOL....I never had somebody offer to fix stuff AND give me beer at the same time!

I took welding in high school. I'm gonna buy a stick soon, just so I can patch some things up, my garage is already wired for it so I'm good there. I never tried tig though. You seem to have gotten the hang of it pretty quick, nice job.:clap:

ha ha ha. ya. the beer runs out quick though so you better hurry! I always like to share my skills and beer! Thanks for the compliments.

Ya know, I've never liked Stick welders. What are you welding? A 220 Mig welder would be much more versatile, but will cost more$$ Maybe try to find a nice used one. Lincoln or Miller is the way to go, something very common.

DSS

Cowshot
ha ha ha. ya. the beer runs out quick though so you better hurry! I always like to share my skills and beer! Thanks for the compliments.

Ya know, I've never liked Stick welders. What are you welding? A 220 Mig welder would be much more versatile, but will cost more$$ Maybe try to find a nice used one. Lincoln or Miller is the way to go, something very common.

I hear ya on the stick welders. I'd like to have a mig, I always enjoyed using one, but it's been a few years. I'd just like to have something around so I could patch up the utility trailers or build a new one even, if I got a wild hair. I don't know if it would be something I'd use enough to justify spending a lot of money on, that's why I was thinking stick. I suppose it's like everything else though, if I had it , I would probably use it.

You guy's with lathes make me crazy too, I want one really bad, but
I'd have to learn how to use it first. I like watching someone who is really good on a lathe...it's amazing what you can do.

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
I hear ya on the stick welders. I'd like to have a mig, I always enjoyed using one, but it's been a few years. I'd just like to have something around so I could patch up the utility trailers or build a new one even, if I got a wild hair. I don't know if it would be something I'd use enough to justify spending a lot of money on, that's why I was thinking stick. I suppose it's like everything else though, if I had it , I would probably use it.

You guy's with lathes make me crazy too, I want one really bad, but
I'd have to learn how to use it first. I like watching someone who is really good on a lathe...it's amazing what you can do.

Ya, if you can swing it, get a MIG, WAY easier to use then a Stick machine!!!!! Trust me. Much nicer welds, and you can weld much finer work, like muffler mods on saws!!

I'm still a bit of an amateur with the lathe, but I get er done!