Tools for amateur saw mechanic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe most are made about the same except for the hose. Make sure you've got a short hose, otherwise the amount of air going into the hose when first cranked will skew your readings. Also ensure it's got all the ends for whatever plugs your going to use it with.

I just picked up an Actron from HF or Pep Boys, w/ the short hose.

I've been looking for long t27's for my battery powered impact that uses the 1/4" hex drive... no joy yet... but havnt looked very hard either...

This is what I use, Super Long Torx with 1/4" hex drive:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supe...Z170492221533QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
attachment.php

Last edited:
Great thread. Great cumulative list.

A.S. has been expensive for some due to CAD. For me, it is a bit more tool focused ("TAD"?).

Of course it depends on what you want to do. You don't need any case splitting tools if you don't plan on splitting any cases. Some guys buy tools as they find they need them. Some use them as 'STOP' signs (if I don't have the necessary tools for that task, maybe I need to stop, and figure out if this is something new that I want to/should try).

Add to the above:
- a good vice to hold parts;
- small carb adjusting screwdriver;
- spark tester (wire with alligator clip on both ends);
- clutch pulling tools for specific Huskys, Poulans, etc.
- ultrasonic cleaner for carbs;
- a variety of cleaning tools (toothpicks, old toothbrushes, pointed popsicle sticks, bar groove cleaner, etc.) - maybe not chain saw specific, but something you want to have around.

I use a brake shoe return spring to fish out the gas filters. Sort of like a red neck medical forceps

Yeah, I would add a few cheap pairs of hemostats.

I recently ordered a Mityvac vacuum/pressure testing kit for testing air leaks and carbs (about $55 with s/h on Amazon). Probably not something I 'need', but TAD strikes.

Philbert

4 mm allen t-handles for late model Poulans & Husqvarnas

This is a good thread, reminded me I had a T-handle that came with
a Sawsall several years ago, it would not fit in the small box with blades;
I found an L-handle same size that would fit in that box.
I checked it on the 435, think late model Poulans use this size
fastener for many outside fasteners

I found the T-handle 4 mm & moved it to the saw maintenance box,
already had T-27 for Stihl and the Makita DCS-520.

No No No!!!!!
This thread is not dead yet!!!
I hope to get pics of my saw tool wall tonight!
This thread fit perfect, as I am TRYING to finish way saw-tool wall!!!!!!

Every one had good suggestions!
Especially were to get those needed off the wall tools!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see those pic's! I just cleaned out the garage and extended my "saw" area. Need some more hangers to put tools up though...

As promised!
This saw bench has taken me forever!!!!! (keep in mind it has 8'X8' saw storage as well on the back!!!
This is a picture of the peg board set-up I decided to go with. I left the sides straight ply wood to add shelves for the cool stuff(will build those as the specifics arise.)

This thread was perfect timing for my saw bench build!!!

Yes, it has all that was mentioned through this thread!
Check this, check that! (torx, zip-lock bags, picks, cleaner, ect. ect.!!)
This is going to be fun!
Now I have to learn how to work on saws!!! LOL!!! SERIOUSLY!

(gotta dig up my old saw bench thread and post the finishing pics of it in it's entirety!)

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
In the words of Hank Hill: "I'll tell ya what." Nice work. I'll post pic's of my project when I'm finished, hopefully by the weekend.

Your a better man then me!!! LOL!
I thought my bench was going to take a week or 2.
Almost 2 months later!!! LOL!!!!

But I did some crazy things!!!(which I always wanted to have!)
I am happy with it!!!

Torque Wrench Suggestions?

Haven't seen this tool mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it?).

So what are you guys doing for torque wrench setups for torx head hardware?

I'd like to come up with something for myself, but just don't know where to look for the right solution. Figured here was as good a place as any to start!

Poge

Haven't seen this tool mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it?).

So what are you guys doing for torque wrench setups for torx head hardware?

I'd like to come up with something for myself, but just don't know where to look for the right solution. Figured here was as good a place as any to start!

Poge

I bought the torx for the Stihl jugs at Auto Zone($7.98), the rest are just 3/8 drive set. So far it has been all I have needed! But who ever stops buying tools. Actually I did once, I was broke from buying saws for awhile! LOL!!

Very pretty!

Enjoy.

Philbert

Thanks Philbert! Much appreciated!!!!:cheers:

I'm jealous! Can you come and build me one of those?

Thanks kr5258!!!!
I would have to live at your house for 2 months! LOL!!!
Took me 5 weeks longer then expected!!! seriously!!!
No need to be jealous!
If you build one, try to do it faster then I did!
It was hard reading about you guys working on saws while I was building a new bench! Freakin torture!!!!

Your bench turned out very nice. Now lets see how long it stays that clean.:cheers:

Thanks Brian13!!
Too late!!! LOL!
A "hey, can you rebuild my carb please!" Turns into "hey man, your piston is shot! Oh man and it's a FREAKIN clam shell!!!!"
MY WORST NEMESIS!!!!!
But like in the case of Steve Austin, I have the technology! AND AS!!!!!!!!!

attachment.php

Nah your not even cluttered yet. When you cant find what you just set down its a mess. Id post a pic of mine but its embarrassing.

This is what I use for a T-27. It is a Snap on 3\8 drive long torx key. On my after market BB I have to cut some of the fins to make it reach but for everything else its great.
attachment.php

Starting with a standard stihl torx driver his is my home made answer to this problem - it can be hand, ratchet driven or torque wrenched.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Like the thread but all of you missed this:

1. Brain - so you can logically think about the saw and become one with it to figure out why its not quite right.
2. Hands - preferably big but not to big but not to small. They can help you with your brain to work on saws and other mechanical thingies.
3. Pile O' (almost)Junk Saws - Cause dey need a fixin'

I love the bench I dont have to wake my girlfriend up this morning.

Back