top 5 must have saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up. I have an 038 laying under the bench with a smoked top end. Just wounder how they did for all that weight. Feels about the same as an 044 or 460.
I think it will be better to go lighter and squeeze more out of the 028 S if I can find one. I like everything about the 260 Pro but it just lacks grunt. Screams like my 200T with and a bit more weight. It pulls a 20" good but I want more grunt! The one I ported does have some serious chain speed. I think it is sold to an AS member who wants to use it for limbing. I sent him a video of it in action.

How do I post up a video of it to this site without going to Utube?

Take off the 20" bar and step down to a 16, will pull full comp 3/8 with authority. In trees over 20" I am grabbing a bigger saw anyway so you won't notice the missing 4 inches.

There are myriad reasons.
Weight is a biggie.
Cost is another. Depending on where you buy, the Stihl can be about $150.00 more.
Handling is yet another. If you want a limbing saw the Husky just does it better. The Stihl has a slight advantage as an "all around" firewood saw and is better suited to felling and bucking than limbing.
Being able to buy parts online is a BIG one for me.
There are more but I'll stop now.

Mike

I was using the USD sold saws as a base figure. Hmmm ok weight and handling are the biggest positives. Ok. How much harder to handle is the STIHL really?
I would've thought 2 MIX would be a quite a draw as the "OLD" tech husky would use quite a bit more gas hence making it quite a bit more expense in the long run.

Online parts are nice though!

<50cc-Poulan 4620
54cc-Mac 10-10
~60cc-ProMac650 or 10-10S(tough choice)
70cc-ProMac700
80+cc SP850
The Poulan for the trash and loaner, the solid Mac stable for Reliability, longevity, power, command presence amidst all the plastic fantastic saws, and low cost of parts/ease of maintenance! I have used the rest and will stick with the best!:rock:

50cc
I must be missing something here... But why are people choosing the 346 over a MS261?
Not talking a ported saw just stock. Is it the weight? Prefer the husky brand?
From what i have read the MS261 is newer tech and better spec'd for a similar price...go figure...:laugh:

I think Mike answered this one as well as could be. :rock:

I have come into possession of a 361 and a 046 mag. I'm currently hunting a 394XP low profile for my 90cc. Which I hope stumpy will work his magic on when I find it.

I just hope I can stop after 5 saws, I just saw a 090av and want one as well !!!

I have a nice low top 394XP to sell......

Some of thse aren't that rare, but here goes. Echo 1100/1200, Whitehead with west bend 820, Homelite 550, Stihl 041 super, Partner P100 in J-Red colors, Chainbrake clutch cover for Mac 125. The rest of the bucket list has been filled.

Cost is another. Depending on where you buy, the Stihl can be about $150.00 more.

I have always wondered if so many would have this love affair with the 346xp if it was the more expensive by $150 compared to the Stihl.

I know ST, I know... even if it was $500 more you would still sing its praises...

I was using the USD sold saws as a base figure. Hmmm ok weight and handling are the biggest positives. Ok. How much harder to handle is the STIHL really?
I would've thought 2 MIX would be a quite a draw as the "OLD" tech husky would use quite a bit more gas hence making it quite a bit more expense in the long run.

Online parts are nice though!

I'm sure that if I were running a saw to pay my bills, 8-10 hours per day the fuel consumption would be a bigger factor.
As it is, I cut 15-20 cords of firewood per year and the only saw I own that I really think about fuel cost is my 084 running that 41" bar buried.
That Hosscat will drink some fuel!!!!

Mike

Take off the 20" bar and step down to a 16, will pull full comp 3/8 with authority. In trees over 20" I am grabbing a bigger saw anyway so you won't notice the missing 4 inches.

No need. I don't run 260's. I own several but don't run them. They are all up for sale. The ported 260 Pro running a 18"-20" X 3/8" full chisel is just to show others the saws upper limits. I did a video of it to send perspective buyers. They have great chain speed but no grunt. If I have to put down the 200T then I'm grabbing the 361.

1. Stihl 090 lightning or 090G for the mill
2. McCulloch 797 for the collection
3. Stihl 066 w/.404 x .063
4. Stihl 044 w/3/8 x .050
5. Pioneer P-62

As a primary firewood cutter if I had to pick 5 out of the current saws I own it would be as follows.

Stihl 026
Stihl 026
Husky 359
Stihl 036
Stihl 044

Dont use the 359 much anymore but I had to include it because it has been very good to me over the years. I dont have any need for a saw bigger then the 044 so its the big dog of the group.

Top 4 saws

1) 390xp
2) 371/372xp
3) 346xp
4) 435 ( Stumps )
You really only need a maximum of 2 IMHO but I guess this 4 would be my lineup. I'm a Husky fan, if you didn't notice. :rock::rock:

1) Stihl 200T
2) Stihl 261
3) Husky 562
4) Stihl 440 (I Never ran a 441)
5) Stihl 660

Or

1) Stihl 200T
2) Husky 346
3) Husky 562
4) Husky 372
5) STihl 660

Latest posts