Top Handle Extravaganza

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here we go. I'll start at the top. AFTER MODS, the MS201T is the top dog. That includes build quality, power, throttle response, handling, etc. You pay for it too, as you already know. Unfortunately, out of the box, it's a complete dog. That easily rectified by sending to me for $50 + shipping, or by following the instructions I've posted on exactly what I do to them. I have customers that would not go back to a 200T. They really come around that much.

IMG_1639-L.jpg

IMG_1640-L.jpg

IMG_1641-L.jpg

IMG_1642-L.jpg

IMG_1643-L.jpg

IMG_1644-L.jpg

IMG_1648-L.jpg

Next up is the Echo 355T. This saw is marketed directly at the MS200T and MS201T. They make no bones about it. It didn't disappoint. This saw is significantly stronger than a 201T out of the box. It runs very good. The same mods that give me nearly a 40% gain on the 201T, only gave me 14% on the 355T. In the end, they end up within 4% of each other. That just shows you how much stronger it is than the 201T out of the box. The muffler is already wide open with no baffles. The bolt on deflector does need a little work, but it's extremely simple. Advancing the ignition helped throttle response more than it helped power, but still a worth while mod. The saw handles and balances well. My only complaint was the size of the grip handle. I have quite small hands, and the handle on the 355 is significantly larger than any of the others. For the same reason, some of you may prefer it. Weight is a few ounces lighter than the 201. No, the 355 doesn't have a vertically split magnesium case with a bolt on cylinder, but the price is significantly less than the pro designed 201T. This Echo definitely meets it's design criteria. I give it a thumbs up.

Stock

Muffler Modded

Timing Advanced - Sorry about the poor lighting. It gets dark too early!

IMG_1614-L.jpg

IMG_1615-L.jpg

IMG_1616-L.jpg

IMG_1617-L.jpg

IMG_1619-L.jpg

IMG_1620-L.jpg

IMG_1621-L.jpg

IMG_1622-L.jpg

IMG_1624-L.jpg

IMG_1647-L.jpg

Wide Open Inside
IMG_1653-L.jpg

Not pretty, but effective and simple
IMG_1654-L.jpg

IMG_1655-L.jpg

Next up is the Echo 271T. This is a LIGHT weight saw. It handles very nicely. With it's smaller grip handle, I actually prefer it's feel over the 355T Out of the box, it's quite anemic. This is mostly due to the catalytic converter in the muffler. That's easily remedied. I simply drilled a hole through the plate that holds the converter. I also had to open the muffler exit behind the deflector, then bent the deflector similar to the 355. Before mods, you couldn't push this saw at all before it would stall. After mods, it's a very respectable performer that would not disappoint. Throttle response is not as crisp as the 355 or 201, but not bad at all. If I were an arborist, I would want a saw of this size in my arsenal. It's way lighter and easier to maneuver than it's larger brothers and cousins. Just like the 201T, I would not run this saw stock. After mods, I give it a thumbs up. It's a nice little saw.

Stock

Muffler Modded

Timing Advanced - Did nothing for power, but helped throttle response

IMG_1625-L.jpg

IMG_1626-L.jpg

IMG_1627-L.jpg

IMG_1628-L.jpg

IMG_1629-L.jpg

IMG_1630-L.jpg

IMG_1631-L.jpg

IMG_1650-L.jpg

Next up is the Dolmar 3410. I don't have a lot of insight on this model. This saw does not belong to me, and accordingly, I have not worked on it. I know it has a muffler mod, but not sure if anything else. I noticed that it does have the front air filter. I'm not a fan of that. Some of you may frown on the "bar nut" and chain tensioner, however, it's very well built and quite a nice feature actually. Build quality on this saw is very good. My biggest complaint is it's balance, or rather, the lack there of. This saw is VERY nose heavy. A shorter bar would not fix that either. It's in the design of the handle and throttle. It's simply too far back, IMHO. It's lighter than the 201 or 355, but that's negated by the balance issue. Power wise, this saw is VERY strong. The 201 and 355 cut a little faster, but I think this saw has it in the torque department. You can push on this saw and it just keeps on going. I was quite impressed with that.

IMG_1610-L.jpg

IMG_1612-L.jpg

IMG_1611-L.jpg

IMG_1646-L.jpg

Last, but not least, is the tiny Stihl MS150TC. I LOVE THIS LITTLE SAW! This thing is fantastic. It seems even stronger and peppier than the other one I demoed for you guys. This thing has explosive throttle response and holds RPMs like crazy in the cut. I would love to set this thing up to run 3/8 Picco chain. After mods, I thing it could easily handle it. The 1/4" chain is super smooth, but this saw needs more chain. I did not touch the chain on this saw, so a little more raker would probably help. I didn't do before vids on this saw since I did a thread on one not too long ago. It definitely needs some help out of the box. But, after mods, this little thing is amazing! I may actually keep this one. Merry Christmas to me?:)

IMG_1632-L.jpg

IMG_1633-L.jpg

IMG_1634-L.jpg

IMG_1635-L.jpg

IMG_1636-L.jpg

IMG_1637-L.jpg

IMG_1638-L.jpg

Seriously??!!!!!
IMG_1651-L.jpg

Brad, are these getting port jobs in your thread or just muff mods and timing? Still a shame we dont have the 540xp yet to throw into the mix.

That's it guys. The above is simply my opinions and findings on one example. Your mileage may vary.

I bought these two Echos at or near dealer cost, soley for the purpose of testing. They are now for sale. I'm passing that savings on to you, and only making a very few bucks on the mods. The pics you see here were taken after the vids were made. They are all cleaned up and ready to go. Buy yourself an early Christmas present:) The 355T is going for $400 + shipping. The 271T is going for $275 + shipping. First person to show me the money takes them. These will be the only ones at this price.

What is the msrp on the 150, do you have pics of your muffler mod on it, and how much timing advance did you find best suits it?

Thanks for the time and effort you have put into this comparison.......

Waylan

Cool thread! Interested in how you incorporated the spark screen in the 201...at least it looks like there is one there from the picture...very cool!

that's a dam fine price on the echo's...... but I've waited a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...GGGGGGGGG time on the 540xp, and I'm gonna "stay the course" come hell or high water.:ices_rofl:

Someone needs to buy that 355t. I already have one or I would have already. I was shocked how well mine ran stock. That is a smoking deal brad is offering.

Nice comparison. I didn't think the little Dolmar would compete when it comes to ergonomics, power is not an issue. I'm not a fan of the filter setup myself, but it does OK. The reed valve design does give the saw plenty of torque, and for 300 bucks it was a great buy. The bar cover and chain tensioner is a positive feature not a negative.

Brad if you were an arborist which one is the best buy out of the box? Looks like the 355T to me.

Latest posts

Back