Top reasons not buy a 290 farmboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have all the firearms My family AND I could possibly use.

Good thing I got my hoard before I acquired CAD eh?

Yes Sir, I remember buying 5.45, 7.62 for $70 bucks a thousand,,,,,,,,,,,,DELIVERED!
Ahh the good old days.

Sorry but I like the MS 029/390 saws. Nice low cost option for occaisional wood gatherers, easy to find new or used OEM parts for, easy to find AM parts, easy to sell for stupid money and easy to repair.

I have one, a 390, with a Chinese carb, NWP topend, 039 frame and safety chain. It's a loaner.

I made the mistake of purchasing a glock 17c cause it was the new wizzbang pistol at the time. The componsator made you death all the time, blind in low light, and unsure just how many times it would stove pipe, so keep drinking the cool aid but glock make junk to, much rather have a baby desert eagle sig or sf xp if I wasn't into nice wheel guns, only bottom feeder I have now is a ruger LCP for summer carry and a 22/45 because you can't reload 22 so who cares.

As for the 290, hade an old homelite 450 that cut like a gang raped ape but had a small failure with a tree down where it didn't belong. Wanted a 361 but the dealer didn't have one in stock and convinced me that a 290 would be fine. And he was right. It cut up 4 30" diameter hedge trees(never seen any that big before or since). And maybe 4 cords a year since pulling a 20" bar with rsc chisel. Even though the 450 had more power the stihl didn't cause my hands to fall asleep after a tank or two. 450 was never used again.

That being said I did recently purchase a 362 and a 660. Latter to do milling but for just a hundred more that what I sold my 290 for I got the 362. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Mike for Maine, seriously, magic cards with a hand gun in a Christmas photo? That scares me! Tell me you don't wear a trench coat to?

I made the mistake of purchasing a glock 17c cause it was the new wizzbang pistol at the time. The componsator made you death all the time, blind in low light, and unsure just how many times it would stove pipe, so keep drinking the cool aid but glock make junk to, much rather have a baby desert eagle sig or sf xp if I wasn't into nice wheel guns, only bottom feeder I have now is a ruger LCP for summer carry and a 22/45 because you can't reload 22 so who cares.

As for the 290, hade an old homelite 450 that cut like a gang raped ape but had a small failure with a tree down where it didn't belong. Wanted a 361 but the dealer didn't have one in stock and convinced me that a 290 would be fine. And he was right. It cut up 4 30" diameter hedge trees(never seen any that big before or since). And maybe 4 cords a year since pulling a 20" bar with rsc chisel. Even though the 450 had more power the stihl didn't cause my hands to fall asleep after a tank or two. 450 was never used again.

That being said I did recently purchase a 362 and a 660. Latter to do milling but for just a hundred more that what I sold my 290 for I got the 362. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Mike for Maine, seriously, magic cards with a hand gun in a Christmas photo? That scares me! Tell me you don't wear a trench coat to?
Why don't we just make a new oil thread while we're at it? :rolleyes:

I am trying to de-rail this as much as possible shh

I believe the ms290 is/was the (stated) hp/dollar champ among quality saw brands. And with a muffler mod, they can probably actually put out that power, lol.

Downside: big and heavy and a pain to work on.

Since I not a full time woodcutter I wouldn't pay the money for any model of new Stihl chainsaw. If I were gonna buy a new saw today I'd probably go to a farm store and buy a new Jonsreds or an Echo..both much cheaper than a Stihl..

Did anyone read the part where the 290 is dead? It has been superseded by the much better 291. Yes, there are probably cheaper options out there right now but the 290 is going away very soon. Complain all you want, but we have been stockpiling them for when the supply dries up. Those saws pretty much sell themselves.

Whoever asked about the 291, yes it uses much more modern technology. The engine is stratified scavenging, and very efficient. The carb has a main bypass circuit, which makes it almost impossible to lean seize with the adjustment screws. The A/V is spring and the air filter is vastly improved. The ignition has an advance/retard circuit for easier starting and more performance. I could go on, but you get the point.

Whoever asked about the 291, yes it uses much more modern technology. The engine is stratified scavenging, and very efficient. The carb has a main bypass circuit, which makes it almost impossible to lean seize with the adjustment screws. The A/V is spring and the air filter is vastly improved. The ignition has an advance/retard circuit for easier starting and more performance. I could go on, but you get the point.
Sounds like they've just about caught up to the Poulan Pro 5020 then.

Oh yeah, got 4 kids AND a wife... Just thought I better get my own gun and join the NRA and get my concealed carry permit before it becomes more difficult. New target range opened up around the corner so makes it real easy to do.

Chose the glock because seems a lot of police use them, I have shot all kinds of guns, wanted dependability more than anything.

By the way, I had an ms 290 and cut a lot of wood with it before I tried other saws, it worked fine and was very dependable. Heavy and a little short on power, but smooth and reliable.
Now the ported 346xp and 390xp have replaced it. Sharp chain still trumps all !!!!

I would suggest the SAF over NRA if you're only going to join one. SAF has actually been taking the fight to the courtrooms and winning very frequently. Most of the recent landmark cases were brought and won by SAF while the NRA sat on it's hands or tried to kill the case. www.saf.org You might also want to take a look at this....multitime NRA board member.

How about a custom Kimber? Is that the same as a auto tune XP? My friends dropped well over a grand each for their competition pistols

I would suggest the SAF over NRA if you're only going to join one. SAF has actually been taking the fight to the courtrooms and winning very frequently. Most of the recent landmark cases were brought and won by SAF while the NRA sat on it's hands or tried to kill the case. www.saf.org You might also want to take a look at this....multitime NRA board member.

BIG REASON I've never gotten a carry permit is because I would be admitting that I need one or special permission when the second amendment clearly states that my (God given) rights to own and bear (carry) arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

I had a 290 super for a bunch of years and thought it was great till I got a used 036 pro for cheaper than a new ms 290 sells for. Not only is that saw lighter, but has way more power and cutting (chain) speed. I agree with Mike that this forum owes it to new members thinking of buying a new overpriced 290/291 to weigh their ooptions first. Yes kids and guns whether long or short are way more expensive than chainsaws.

Back