TOPPED MAPLES !!!! and willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is It'll always be that way if you dont take steps to become a non
hatracker buddy. Again, not that I really care.

Prunning to me seems like the art of doing less often times, smaller cuts,
fighting to climb over sprouts rather than just stripping the tree out etc.
I actually busted out the handsnips on some big trees this year, it was
horrible actually, lol.

So what do you suggest I do?

In response to a pm, reduction of silver maples, pecans, and other storm-susceptible species is a regular thing here, every 3-5 years depending. Small wounds made when cutting/heading to small laterals as in dan's second post are a whole lot better than big wounds from storm damage.

It was a trick question, you know I'm doing all I can, but you just want to
bark.

Maybe study for your licence, I'm gonna study up this winter and try and get mine. Right now I work under my ex's still. There's some ammo for you nails.

Funny someone mentioned Gillman back there, my old boss down in FL was
buddies with him, I think I may have met him, not sure. That was a really
good company to work for I learned alot down there, more than any of
these hackers up here thats for sure. So I guess I learned to do things a
certain way right off, thankfully. I was 18 or 19 fixin hatracks as best I could.

Thing is It'll always be that way if you dont take steps to become a non
hatracker buddy. Again, not that I really care.

Prunning to me seems like the art of doing less often times, smaller cuts,
fighting to climb over sprouts rather than just stripping the tree out etc.
I actually busted out the handsnips on some big trees this year, it was
horrible actually, lol.

Pruning, especially class1 fine pruning is one of the most challenging and educational aspects of the tree industry, and one very few ever master, much less understand and appreciate.

A class 1 prune is almost invisible in terms of tree structure outside of deadwooding. The tree looks the same except thinner in a uniform see through density of foliage and twigs. All the real work is in the canopy, literally thousands of small exact cuts.

No other tree pruning entails more precise clean cuts than class1 pruning, it is almost a lost old school art form, now out of style. And to even practice it properly as a real arborist means knowing which species will tolerate more or less thinning without triggering sucker gowth. If your class1 prune suckered, it means you went too thin for that species, and hopefully learn from it.

I have an old VHS recording of me working a euc on a custom made New England rope with an airline, a high pressure airline in the middle of it. That's right, a rope woven over an airline, with me hanging like a spyder on the end of it. I'm using pnuematic 2 inch push button loppers in my right hand, with holster on saddle, and on my left side a little 3 pound Maibo pnuematic chainsaw with a 6 inch bar, complete with holster, for my left hand.

It was friggin push button heaven, the only real danger was spitting stubs in all directions with the loppers. It's a really cool feeling to be able to make clean precise cuts almost as fast as you can squeeze the friggin trigger!.

I'm going to transfer that old stuff and post it so you guys can laugh at my old school antics back in the 90's when the great NAA was leading the way into the 21st century. What a joke!

jomoco

Last edited:
Jomoco, that sounds pretty wild that air deal there, that I'd watch.

I sort of get scarred when I've got a big tree to prune, I get lazy sometimes.
But by the end I actually like it sometimes. Its nice to know you can do
something most people cant.

I sort of get scarred when I've got a big tree to prune, I get lazy sometimes. But by the end I actually like it sometimes. Its nice to know you can do something most people cant.

I've been on many tagteam fine prunes where we put in over 16 mhrs on one tree a few that had over 24 mhrs.

People look at me crazy and wonder how it is sold, if they cannot afford it all at once, then sell it in stages. Explain the benefits and outcome, and cycle. That the next pruning is not as extensive because there will not be as much deadwood in it and that you will not need as many structural cuts ect...ect...it is sales for heavens sake!

Some people cannot get past the idea that you don't leave a note in the door "trim tree $200+tax" :rolleyes:

Start with the best case senario for the tree and work it down from there to where you can work within their budget. With some heavy deadwoood loads, it is sometimes better to spread it out when you take dynamic loading and mass dampening into the equation.

Its just me up there usually, and I'm super anal so it takes me forever, I'm getting better with the sales thing though, I mentioned awhile back when I got 1500 a tree for these two Red Oaks, that was nice, no stress or rushing, just a nice job. There were even some takedowns, that helped.

Can you elaborate on the dynamic loading and mass dampening, what the hell is that? lol. It is nice with two guys though, someday maybe, I've done it but its been a while and it was for someone else, not here. For some reason whenever I hire suposed treeguys they seem to get competive and almost jealous of my toys or whatever. I hate that, its like some of these people are developmentally handicapped. Can we just work? Morons.

So its settled then? The Dan is the man? The tree man Dan? :)

There is unrest in the forest
there is trouble with the trees
The maples want more sunlight
and the oaks ignore their pleas...

... So the maples formed a union
and demanded equal rights
They said "the oaks were to greedy
we will make them give us light!"
Now there is no more oak oppression
for they past a noble law
Now the trees are all kept equal
by hatchet, axe and saw

Do what you can... with this, with that and with the other thing.

So its settled then? The Dan is the man? The tree man Dan? :)

There is unrest in the forest
there is trouble with the trees
The maples want more sunlight
and the oaks ignore their pleas...

... So the maples formed a union
and demanded equal rights
They said "the oaks were to greedy
we will make them give us light!"
Now there is no more oak oppression
for they past a noble law
Now the trees are all kept equal
by hatchet, axe and saw

Do what you can... with this, with that and with the other thing.

That last line was a blatant rip off of gilligan's island dan, and you know it!

" I promise you, dis, dat, and dee udder ting! "

Gilligan dreaming of being a tin pot s american dictator, circa 1970's.

Time tu come clean tough guy!

jomoco

Its just me up there usually, and I'm super anal so it takes me forever, I'm getting better with the sales thing though, I mentioned awhile back when I got 1500 a tree for these two Red Oaks, that was nice, no stress or rushing, just a nice job. There were even some takedowns, that helped.

Can you elaborate on the dynamic loading and mass dampening, what the hell is that? lol. It is nice with two guys though, someday maybe, I've done it but its been a while and it was for someone else, not here. For some reason whenever I hire suposed treeguys they seem to get competive and almost jealous of my toys or whatever. I hate that, its like some of these people are developmentally handicapped. Can we just work? Morons.

Ok MDS, I am going to get some hard figures on what it would take to get certified. Then I'm going to come out to your place (uninvited of course) and tag team a prune job with ya. Here's a little preview :deadhorse: Really though, I will carress the trees.

Last edited:
It was a trick question, you know I'm doing all I can, but you just want to
bark.

Are you really doing all all that you can nails? Yer still dodging my point. Lol on the prune though, that sounds like fun.

Dan, yer only the man because I'm too stupid to post pics or properly use this thing.

I've always heard that silver maples, due to their extreme leggy growth nature, suffer a lot of snow and ice damage in the midwest, and do need to be reduced after damage is done, or as a preventative measure.

We have a number here in the PNW west side of the mountains. Many are very leggy,but some are grand specimens. I've pruned a fair number, and have photos of two of the largest. I hope to be chosen to prune this one. It's one that Arthur Lee Jacobsen didn't include in his book "The Trees of Seattle" It's by far the largest at 102 foot crown spread, and 15'11" in circumference...maybe 80 feet tall.
3016693683_2682fd70fc_o.jpg

3016693595_4ecc10660e_o.jpg

Here's pics of one near Deming. It's 120 foot crown spread and nearly 22 feet around. 2nd or third largest in Wa.
543554057_5019ae76ac_o.jpg

543453360_4926bfe262_o.jpg

Last edited:
Evergreen, right???

Good thing that was your first guess, as any others wouldn't have counted. :cheers:

I've had many climbers work for me that worked there. Horror stories galore.

Injuries abound. They expect a huge $ amount to be brought in daily....pressure pressure pressure...and of course 90% of the pruning they sell and do is either wrong or unnecessary.

Last edited:
Good thing that was your first guess, as any others wouldn't have counted. :cheers:

I've had many workers work for me that worked there. Horror stories galore.

Injuries abound. They expect a huge $ amount to be brought in daily....pressure pressure pressure...and of course 90% of the pruning they sell and do is either wrong or unnecessary.

They are based in Eastern Washington, and we find them crossing the border into Idaho. Lots of complaints and terrible work. I believe everyone works on commission, including the sales people. Understanding arboriculture is not a requirement.

Latest posts

Back