TOPPED MAPLES !!!! and willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are based in Eastern Washington, and we find them crossing the border into Idaho. Lots of complaints and terrible work. I believe everyone works on commission, including the sales people. Understanding arboriculture is not a requirement.

Each crew foreman chooses how to divvy up 30% of the day's income. He usually pays himself really well, the rest of the guys suffer, typically.

I've fielded several emails and calls from them over the last 4-5 years, wanted to hire my excess workers, if I knew of any. A few months ago, someone from Spokane called. So, I decided to be frank and tell her (I don't know if it was Bu####'s wife or just an office person) what the general feeling among us arborists is about their company. I didn't mince words......
I was surprised to get a call back a few days later. She said she was having problems with the conversation. Thought she wanted to hear more. Nope, she just wanted my name..then promptly hung up. Was I worried about a slander charge? Nope....I only spoke the truth. Never hard a peep since.

That last line was a blatant rip off of gilligan's island dan, and you know it!

" I promise you, dis, dat, and dee udder ting! "

Gilligan dreaming of being a tin pot s american dictator, circa 1970's.

Time tu come clean tough guy!

jomoco

Well the poem is a song by Rush called The Trees and that is pretty much all I know about that. I really wasn't paying much attention to Gilliagan if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the dynamic loading and mass dampening, what the hell is that? lol.

Think of dynamic loading as the force the tree puts on its self as it moves.

Mas dampening is the way the components of the whole dissipate the energy by moving "out of sinc", watch the limb in a wind and see how it does not move as a solid unit.

Think of how the limb moves more as you remove laterals, each one provides dampening mass to the whole.

Moment of bend was not mentioned, but this is important here too. This is where the stem, lead, limb, or what ever component you are dealing with moves most. Since tree are "self optimizing", to quote Mattheck, they adapt here by adding mass to strengthen. Lions tailing removes dampening mass, and moves the moment of bend farther out the stem to unadapted wood which increase the risk of failure.

Working a limb from the inside out alters the moment of bend the same way, making it harder to work as you get farther out. Sometimes it is worth it to work from the outside in to keep that dampening mass on the lighter wood....

That was a real nice post john, I'll reading that one a few more times. I started reading the link treeseer posted, I've gotta finish that. Very interesting - things most treeguys (inclubing myself) dont really think of. Makes sense, the parts I get so far. Thanks MDS.

That was a real nice post john, I'll reading that one a few more times. I started reading the link treeseer posted, I've gotta finish that. Very interesting - things most treeguys (inclubing myself) dont really think of. Makes sense, the parts I get so far. Thanks MDS.

So we agree that limbs act as shock absorbers and energy dampeners? They help slow down the movement of the main stem. also acts like a counterbalance.

Yeah, well, its a good thing to think about if you have to swing the top out of something. You might want to leave some limbs on to absorb energy.

Comes in real handy working with those dam maples and truth be told; they would have broken eventually without a haircut like that. A crown thinning could suffice in many circumstances but they look up and see it over thier house and they go by that." what if it falls?" That is usually thier only concern.
One reason they want them lower is its something they understand. All this stuff is complicated and that is not what they want by no means.

Latest posts

Back