topping and limbing saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I lean more towards a 261c. The 550xp from what I understand is the saw to have for all out limbing duty. Port a 261c and slap an 18" bar and you're good to go for more all around firewooding I think...

X2

Ported 261 w 18" is perfect for takedowns too

Opinions on best saw for felling smaller hardwood 12" to 16" and topping/limbing. Stihl 241c, stihl 261c ,or Husqvarna 550xp?Already have a 441c for larger trees

Im liking the idea of the extra grunt of the 362c with the 18" bar . May not need porting qith a 362 for larger tops and limbs. I may get the 261c and port or maybe a 562xp

You changed from your original choices fairly quick on us. LOL.:dizzy:

I've read a lot about the 241c being a little hell-raiser (for small saw).
But for almost the same weight you can get the 550xp with more power.
I think the 261c is a tad heavier. Not by much.

It seems to me that you have some BIG limbs in mind.:D

I want to be able to cut say 20" and under with mysmaller saw without it bogging and still be able to top and limb with it and use my 441c for bigger stuff.I liked my 261 but want mtronics or autotune and respect opinions of u guys here on as and just keeping my options open. i just dont think the 241 will grunt like i want

The 362 is a bigger heavier saw than the 261. I had no problems using it but I usually only cut a truck load at a time. You should check it out in person to see what you think. I prefer the 50cc 70cc plan for my firewood needs. I run my 441c with a 20 inch bar and usually try to cut oak trees 12'' and up to about 30'' or so. The 362 I had was not M tronic so I think at times it was not tuned to peak and I was down on power. It was ok but I didn't feel like it really had the power I wanted with a 20'' bar buried in oak. M tronic probably will make up for it.

I usually switch over to the 441cm when the log is over 12 inches or so.

A ported 261c with 18'' bar running 3/8 chain would be pretty stout. But you probably will be able to bog it with the bar buried. I used to bog my 362 with a 20'' bar I think an 18 would be perfect stock.

I've used all these saws (362 only briefly). And I own a 346, 562 and 385.

The 45-50cc saws are perfect for this use. If you think a 16" will be ok then the 241 is very nice and you stay in the stihl family, if 18" is a must then the 261 is the go. If you are prepared to go husky - a ported 550 from Terry landrum is a killer deal and an amazing saw, less money is a standard 545 from him and it is a good option. Ordering parts online is no big deal - and it's no different time wise as most local dealers don't seem to carry whatever you want on the shelf.

I use my 50cc saw more than anything else (actually 45cc as it's an oe 346), the extra weight of the 562 is noticeable and while it is the perfect saw for felling and topping up to 20" trees I believe you need a lot of this work to justify anything between 50cc and 70cc. (I do a lot of feral tree control, and wander around the scrub with only one saw, either 346 or 562).
For firewood collection you tend to drive to the tree, so having 2 saws with you is practical - and having a bigger gap between them makes sense.

For my 2c - option 1 is a wicked work saw ported 550, option 2 is 545 or 241 with a 16" bar (check Terry's pricing on a 545 vs a 241 from your stihl dealer), option 3 is a 261.
If you end up with a ported 550 or 261, be prepared to use your 441 a whole lot less!!!!

I want to be able to cut say 20" and under with mysmaller saw without it bogging and still be able to top and limb with it and use my 441c for bigger stuff.I liked my 261 but want mtronics or autotune and respect opinions of u guys here on as and just keeping my options open. i just dont think the 241 will grunt like i want
It seems like you already know the answer to your question. The C-M adds some zip, but not 30%. If I have a MS 441 R C-M on the shelf, there's no way I'd even think about cutting 20" soft wood with my MS 261 C-M. I run a 16" ROLLOMATIC E bar with 26 RD 67 chain and draw the line at about 14"-16" DBH wood. Good luck finding the right saw! :D

I'm no pro, mostly a firewood hack but have climbed and topped out a few trees recently with a 024S/15" and a 361/18". The saws were carefully tuned, had high comp and were stock apart from a muff mod. Both performed as expected. Mostly in hard wood up to 12".

The big thing I discovered was that the 361 got heavy pretty quick up the tree. Granted I'm only 75Kg. In the end the 024S with a razor sharp 0.325 chain became the go to saw, although it was a bit slower. Felt as tho' I could work all day with it. It also felt safer without such big lump hanging off my fatiguing body.

For what it's worth this skinny bloke votes for a properly modded 261CM/50cc Husq XP. You'll also have a nice clear choice btwn that and your 441C.

Latest posts

Back