Tower removal???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anybody ever remove an old antenna tower?

A neighbor called because he bought a commercial rental building with a radio tower on it. He wants it down. He knows I climb trees and am not too bothered by heights, so he thought perhaps I could do it. He said "it is probably 30' above the building." I'm thinking sounds like something I could dismantle and lower down as long as it is not in bad shape.

I measured it to be 80' above the building! There are 3 sets of guy wires with 3 wires each. One of the top ones has broken loose from the roof. The second one is only about 25' up, so not high enough to climb there and cut it in half. I am not climbing past the 3rd set....and really don't like the idea of climbing to it... Even if I got to that point, it is 45' up, meaning there is still 35' of tower above that, so for me to tie that off on the tower cut it and rig it down, it will be shock loading the tower at the same point I am attached....20' above the next support. NOT happening.

It is about 25' in from the edge of the roof, so I am not sure even the tallest bucket in town will help...

That all leads to Option B: Shoot a line through the tower near the top. Have two ropes on the back side and one on the front side. Cut all the guy wires. Cut the two back pieces of the triangle. Notch the back side of the front support and pull it over. Place mattresses on the edge of the building to soften the blow if it falls faster than expected and the back ropes lose control.

Is Option B a bad idea???

I've felled towers before.

What I've done is to cut one side and leave the other two as the hinge. You cut no notches and fell away from the single side you cut so it ends up on top. It still may not go exactly where you want it as both remaining pipes may not fold at the same point. You may want to try to crimp them before cutting the back leg for better control. Two legs will fold quite easily.

Be interested to hear how this turns out for ya OP...and how/what method you used.

I would first check with your insurance... Probably not covered If something were to happen

I would first check with your insurance... Probably not covered If something were to happen
Not only that, I'd have the owners John Hancock a dozen times in writing, waiving me from any and all liability. That alone would probably kick the crane rental into gear, outta the owners wallet.

I've felled towers before.

What I've done is to cut one side and leave the other two as the hinge. You cut no notches and fell away from the single side you cut so it ends up on top. It still may not go exactly where you want it as both remaining pipes may not fold at the same point. You may want to try to crimp them before cutting the back leg for better control. Two legs will fold quite easily.
Problem with that is the way we want it to fall is the direction if the one leg. I do like the idea of having control of 2 legs. Wonder if cutting a section out of the front would work. I like the idea of pre crimping.

But you guys are working towards having me talked out of it. I guess this is just confirmation that I need one of those cranes tree mec has!

The only towers I've ever dropped were on the ground. I just happened to be in the tree biz as cable and satellite was going big. Cut down hundreds of creosoted poles, too. The crimp does help to make sure both legs fold at the same spot. If they don't good directional control is lost. I've dropped stamped towers before and use a hack saw on the two control legs to cut metal so the remaining metal would fold well. The cut the third leg all the way through and pull!

I know a guy who went up a free standing tower and did some work on his own antenna. Two days later the tower fell over into a tree! A lot of towers are quite rusted at ground level.

could one guy wire be rigged too help slow the fall when cut ?
Depending on how the base is anchored, would that theory possibly create the base coming out from it, and the base running straight back, opposite of the intended fall target zone? Just thinkin' out loud.

I use to do tower work and the is 2 ways to do it. Jin pole or crane removal. If you loosen then guy wires up Wong and release one with tention on other 2 wire it will fold. He may want to call a crane service or tower erector for the removal of the small antenna 20140723_133111.jpg500 foot yeah that is a full size crew cab dodge

I use to do tower work and the is 2 ways to do it. Jin pole or crane removal. If you loosen then guy wires up Wong and release one with tention on other 2 wire it will fold. He may want to call a crane service or tower erector for the removal of the small antenna View attachment 488547500 foot yeah that is a full size crew cab dodge
Damn...truck looks like a doormat.

Depending on how the base is anchored, would that theory possibly create the base coming out from it, and the base running straight back, opposite of the intended fall target zone? Just thinkin' out loud.
I was wondering the same thing... Didn't get on the roof to look at the base.

Latest posts

Back