Tower removal???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Option B sounds like a very bad idea.

It wouldn't surprise me if a permit was needed to remove that thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they won't give you a permit.

But it sure looks like a fun thing to try to do. Google it.

We hired a rigger with a crane to do an 80' in a very similar sutuation. 4-20' sections. As much as you want to help your neighbor, and as much as he wants it done on the cheap, it is not worth your life or limb or the property damage potential.
Very true most tower sectors are 20 ft each. That tower weighs more than you think. A crane pull on a roof top is probably the best option and for a nate certified company to do the removal. I'd bet the city would permit it to be removed for structural and saftey regards

I've taken miles of the things down. Gin pole, one section at a time (unless it's lighter Rohn 25g, then two at a time is safe) and you lower it straight down alongside the tower... never try to cut and flop one unless you drop the whole thing in the middle of a cornfield. Besides, resale on the tower is an added bonus. Not a job for the first timer, though. Practice on 30' ham radio and TV antenna towers before tackling one like that.

None of those light weight towers are rated for climbing by the manufacturer, even when brand new. Sure guys climb them, but the forces are not predictable. Never shock load one. Never cut a guy without unloading the others. Get a pro.

Appreciate all the input. You have me talked out of it. I'd do in a field, but the more I think about it and read everybody's thoughts... too much can go wrong.

That's why this place rocks... you talked me out of doing something dumber than using a chainsaw 75' off the ground:chainsaw:

...talked out of it...

Well, I don't blame you... I've got a 70' Rohn 25G that I have to replace an antenna on this spring... two sets of guy wires (not good) and they're stretched badly. Owner can't remember if the base is even in concrete, let alone enough concrete. I went 40' up it last fall to remove a lightweight UHF yagi antenna and it creeped me the hell out. I believe that I'm going to tell him that he either contracts me to re-guy the tower first, or forget it. One set of the guy wires was anchored to a Siberian Elm tree's trunk with a 3/8" screw eye. I'm surprised it hasn't come down in a wind storm, but he says it's been up for 20+ years, but nobody else has climbed it in the last 15 years. He's about 73 years old and can't climb it anymore.

Yeah.. my thoughts, too. I'll look at the base, and if it's good I can re-guy it with 3 or 4 sets and it'll be fine, but he's long ago ran out of adjustment room with the guy turnbuckles so it really needs new guys before I climb it. Last fall I went straight up, cut the coax, cut the antenna brackets off with a battery grinder and came right back down. Was only up there for about five minutes and that was about four minutes longer than I wanted to be on that thing. Any more, trees seem safer to me than towers. I think maybe I went up too many questionable ones, back in the day, and I get creeped out by them more than I used to. Although, past about 100 feet and I'm done, now. Just can't seem to get past that fear of the ground being so damn far away.

Interesting to read the opinions/views of all that posted on this subject matter. One thing I had thought about last night when we were chiming in, but Jeff explained my curiosity...was taking this tower top down and the resale of the same. Certainly makes good sense to me, vice it hittin' the scrap metal yard. Have certainly learned a little about these towers that I guess like most folks, you see'em everywhere everyday, but just don't give a whole lotta thought about the steps involved to get these things in the air, and the removal of one. These things are certainly a little more involved than your average Radio Shack $99.95, 15-18' VHF/UHF homeowner special, no doubt.

..was taking this tower top down and the resale of the same.

I don't scrap 'em unless there are sections in real bad shape... I've got everything from Rohn 20G to 65G piled up at the shop and a friend's farm. Some of it takes me a few years to sell, but eventually I get it sold (90% to other ham radio enthusiasts). I even have bits of it stuck in the shed here at the house, lying alongside the garden, telephone poles lying about... LoL... gotta get it all over to the shop and out of my way. It's a pain in the ass to mow around...

pole.JPG rohn-tower-crap.JPG

I better get it done before those guys from the "hoarders" show send a talent scout my way!

Get an estimate for a helicopter and compare the costs to your man hours.
I am bidding a job now the same way.
Jeff
Never even give a helo any thought. Then again, I ain't no tower erector or tower taker-downer. Be interesting to hear your quote for the helo services.

Never even give a helo any thought. Then again, I ain't no tower erector or tower taker-downer. Be interesting to hear your quote for the helo services.

We have 'hard to access trees' that when I put man hours and equiptment costs, the cost is massive.
Call around your area and compare the cost. Maybe a $1000 to get it there and then per hour and fuel and permits,,,
but, I say 'F' it,,,it is not a tree,,
Jeff :dancing:

Back