Trade a Stihl for a Crapsman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was reading the link about how great the new 40cc Craftsman saws were and it reminded me of a story that I need share.

One of guys I work with bought a new Stihl 361 about a year ago. He only used it to cut 2 two truckloads of firewood. I was helping him cut using my 359 so i guess he only cut about 1 load of firewood. Well this guy likes craftsman stuff and about 2 weeks ago he was at sears and he saw the black 55cc Craftsman saws. Well i guess he got to talking with a salesman and he told the salesman what kind of saw he had and what he wanted. Well he told the salesman he had a almost new 361 Stihl but he would rather have a 55cc Crapsman. The salesman was a slick guy because he offered to buy a new Crapsman saw and trade if for the used Stihl. My friend took the deal.....some people are too dumb to have money. Well I am hoping to use the craftsman in a week or two just to see how they work. I can't believe the salesman did that. I am sure his boss would not be happy if they knew he did that to a customer.

It seems to me that craftsman stuff is all lower quality. I mean their lawncare products. I feel people just think that becasue it says craftsman that it is a quality product.

It pisses me off that I could have bought the guy a saw for 200 dollars and traded it for a almost new 361.

Im right with ya! I have been having more depressing expieriences every time I buy or use a Craftsman product. Not all of the tools are horrible, but for example i just got one of their No. 2 phillips screwdrivers exchanged (standard, not professional grade) and the new one was worse than the worn out one!! The tip was barley cut :mad: Not to mention the fact that you now have to mail in sockets to get them replaced, no more open stock in the stores.

rjh245 said:
I feel people just think that becasue it says craftsman that it is a quality product.

Used to be true. A company can run a looong time on an old reputation.

Just look at Detroit!

I'm glad your friend has money, because if he fell for that one, he sure doesn't have much sense. I'd also make sure to never deal with that salesman ever, as he is a lying weasel to take advantage of your friend's foolishness.

As to the quality of Craftsman tools, they still make some decent stuff, but their OPE isn't anywhere near the level of Stihl or Husqvarna, or other higher priced, and higher quality equipment. Just because it says Craftsman on it, which used to be good quality, doesn't mean it still is. Their quality has declined on many products, and the name is being relied upon to sell their tools. It's buyer beware on anything, even if the brand has had a good reputation in the past, doesn't mean it holds true now. Buying on name alone, without regards to the quality of the product is just foolish.

i love my old craftsman saws, but you could not give me a new one.for someone wanting to use a chainsaw 20 min a year they are fine. that is why they sell so many of them.but if you use it a week out of a year you better buy another brand.

A company letting their name sell junk. Mmmm, ain't Stihl kinda doing that with their homeowner saws? People assume they can level a forest of redwoods because of a name. Wouldn't it be better if Stihl's homeowner line had a different name like Deere did with the Sabres?

Yeah I know about the craftsman hand tools sending in crap....I sold out all of my sockets and things that said craftsman on them about 8 months ago..And bought S-K's and snap-on's..At least they change them out right there on the spot...I will not go to sears no more for anything..They where good at one point and time....

Allan.K said:
Yeah I know about the craftsman hand tools sending in crap....I sold out all of my sockets and things that said craftsman on them about 8 months ago..And bought S-K's and snap-on's..At least they change them out right there on the spot...I will not go to sears no more for anything..They where good at one point and time....
I took a broken craftsman hammer ( wood handle ) in last week ..... gave it to the sales man and he handed me a new one with no questions asked right there and then. I have a ratchet thats craftsman that when it needs extra power i put a real long bar on it for more leverage . I have broke that ratchet 3 times and was replaced right on the spot with no questions asked .

Rspike said:
I took a broken craftsman hammer ( wood handle ) in last week ..... gave it to the sales man and he handed me a new one with no questions asked right there and then. I have a ratchet thats craftsman that when it needs extra power i put a real long bar on it for more leverage . I have broke that ratchet 3 times and was replaced right on the spot with no questions asked .

Theres one I have to agree with. Got a bunch of old Craftsman tools in the ole tool box. Never once has Sears ever said no to switch out over a broken Craftsman, not once. I kinda like Sears mainly because its right down the road from me. I buy my drawers there, my t-shirts too,haha, for real.

I'm an Auto Mechanic for a living for the past 21 years and have a lot of Craftsman tools in my box. They are no worse than Snap-On or Mac when it comes breakage. As for the exchange policy, it is still the same old way here in NJ.

David

Big Woody said:
Do they give you a free exchange when they fail?

Well so far long as I control my gas I aint had no blow outs as of yet. I will eat a bunch of beans and given a test and see if they will takem back. I got my doults they will,hahahaha, if they do they better clear out the store,haha

THALL10326 said:
Well so far long as I control my gas I aint had no blow outs as of yet. I will eat a bunch of beans and given a test and see if they will takem back. I got my doults they will,hahahaha, if they do they better clear out the store,haha

Just watch for open flames.......:blob2:

ButcherGY54 said:
I'm an Auto Mechanic for a living for the past 21 years and have a lot of Craftsman tools in my box. They are no worse than Snap-On or Mac when it comes breakage. As for the exchange policy, it is still the same old way here in NJ.

David

I got my first "used" tool set at the age of 14. It was purchased at an auction with a Mac road box and some misc mac and snap on tools. I still have most of those tools today, at home or in my personal truck. When I became a road Diesel engine tech, I bought a big crapsman tool set to get me started. I am willing to bet that not one piece of that set is original. The old craftsman tools were great, but the newer junk just plain sucks. When I am out in the middle of nowhere servicing a generator or air compressor, I can't afford a simple tool breaking. Learned the hard way too many times with that. Who care if you can take it back and get it replaced, but fails when you need it most. I have a ton of money invested into Snap on tools and there is no comparison to their quality. I carry them on my service truck and in the shop because I need them to be dependable, not break them and say oh well next time I'm at sears.....

Snap on and Mac are not equal....The prices are, but most of Mac's are made by Proto. and while being a good tool. most of the Mac tools are going to tawainese, tiakoko junk.

Just my penny and a half contribution to the thread. Sorry your buddy got taken by the sales guy. Sorry you didn't get the score on the 361. But look at it this way....The way sears is, he will have a long warrenty on that saw. HE cold take it back 5 years from now and say it broke, then request to talk to a manager and most of the time they will give the customer a new product. I see it all the time. My friends dad works at a sears harware. They take back 1, 2 and even three year old lawnmowers.....What is this world coming to? Might as well just move to china before china moves here...

Steve

Marco said:
A company letting their name sell junk. Mmmm, ain't Stihl kinda doing that with their homeowner saws? People assume they can level a forest of redwoods because of a name. Wouldn't it be better if Stihl's homeowner line had a different name like Deere did with the Sabres?

Horses for courses.... Try dropping a redwood with a 200T.

A barely used Stihl MS361 for a new Craftsman 55cc saw; some people are un:censored:believably stupid and/or ignorant.

Though it seems that the salesman was on his toes.

Still same trade in deal at all my sears stores, so I dunno whats up with one that has to mail it in, sounds ridiculous.

I have old craftsman stuff and new craftsman stuff. The old just keeps working and gets more use and abuse every year. The new stuff I keep replacing as it breaks. I swear the steel is so much crappier, you can see the inclusions and pock holes in the metal when you crack it open. I just replaced a 1/2 to 3/8 driver adapter that I snapped off. It was a new shiny one. Pulled the old beater one out of the drawer that has been around forever, hit it with the torque, and worked just fine.

Back