Tradin' Post Saw Values... Too Many "Best Offer" or Trades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, but I wouldn't try to sell anything here.

I also will never do the "Or best offer" option on e-bay either.

Haggling annoys me, for others it is "fun".

I do the free stuff here, because I want to go to "Chainsaw Heavan".

Who cares?

That is the post that makes all come into perspective.............

Who cares, indeed???? Could be applied to every thread here, and be quite
applicable........

So we should all log off???

Spend time with our families???

Or our mother in the wheelchair in the attic???? A lot of Home Depot insulation blown in up there.......

In some of the computer forums I used to frequent, you were required to post an asking price in a classifieds thread or it would get removed.

I prefer to see an asking price so I can tell if it's the range of what I want to spend , I'll usually skip over the best offer ads (even on local ads) unless it's something of greater interest but it most often ends up to be a waste of time .
A price with or best offer is fine by me .
A "Best Offer" equals bidding/auction so maybe we should have a new section in the Tradin'Post and AS could charge a fee like ebay for the listing and use the $$ for charitable work .

:cheers:

I have no problem offering what I think I am willing to pay. doesn't cost a thing to send a few emails back and forth to feel out the sellers range. I'll usually tell the seller if it is in the shape he says it is when I get there then he will get the high side of the "range" if it's not he will get what I think it's worth or I leave with my cash. NO ebay for me. If I don't see it and run it and pull a muffler/ compression test, well I didn't need it that bad. The dealer is always around the corner with new equiptment and a warrenty.

A few emails is usually all it takes for me to tell if I am dealing with someone who is hiding something.

It has been getting more frustrating to look through the ads for saws in the Tradin' Post. A lot of saws that I am interested in have no askin' price. I hate tryin' to figger out what someone would want with out lowballin' them.

Guys... post up some values you would like to get for the saws in the TP... There are about 3 or 4 saws I have recently considered buying... But everybody wants to either trade or have only the "best offer" made available. :rant:

Maybe it's just me... but... would it hurt to post up an askin' price... :dizzy:

Gary

Excellent point, and excellent post. I have almost stopped looking in the trading post because there are so many of the best offer ads. I thought about writing about it but didn't think anyone else cared. Looks like I was wrong, Gary's point is obviously well taken. JR

At the end of the day if you are selling something you want money. Be it you are on hard times or you just got too many dang saws!! (I know the feeling) If you are selling you obviously already know what price you would say yes to and what you would say no to. By not putting a price you are putting people off. Too many sellers expect top dollar for a run down saw. I for one don't want to haggle. I already know what i am willing to pay for any saw i see before i have even seen what it is going for. It clogs up the thread with offers back and forth. All the while the seller knows all along what he will accept. So save everyone the headaches and put a price!! You would not post a for sale ad in the newspaper without putting a price as you would be wasting your time. Too many adds i look at here seem like they are expecting someone to give them a new ported 550xp for a 30 year old McCulloch clutch cover. :rolleyes:

I passed on a saw recently until they decided to put a price on it. It really makes a difference. Now the potential buyer has an idea what he has to work with, and whether it is worth his time or not.

Ebay is the largest selling site for a reason,people get to make a bid or make an offer in the price range they are willing to spend.

sounds like nobody ever been to a yard sale and had the seller ask " make an offer ? " ..

i think the fear of a "highball" offer coming out thinking " oh my,i could have got it cheaper ",,is what scares you all.

Is it so hard to just " make an offer " ? ashamed to low ball ?? who cares !! it's the seller asking of course they expect low offers !!!

your losing out on deals if you dont take the few seconds to offer,with nothing to lose.

Or,,,keep window shopping....

sometimes when i sell stuff i ask for an offer so i dont sound greedy asking to high of a number, but either seller or buyer needs to get a number out there to start from.

Ebay is the largest selling site for a reason,people get to make a bid or make an offer in the price range they are willing to spend.

sounds like nobody ever been to a yard sale and had the seller ask " make an offer ? " ..

i think the fear of a "highball" offer coming out thinking " oh my,i could have got it cheaper ",,is what scares you all.

Is it so hard to just " make an offer " ? ashamed to low ball ?? who cares !! it's the seller asking of course they expect low offers !!!

your losing out on deals if you dont take the few seconds to offer,with nothing to lose.

Or,,,keep window shopping....

I have no problem whatsoever making an offer. What's the worst that can happen? They say no?
Too many ads specifically say "no low ball offers". Then when you make what you believe to be a reasonable offer based on the photos and information provided they get offended and upset. :rolleyes:

I have no problem whatsoever making an offer. What's the worst that can happen? They say no?
Too many ads specifically say "no low ball offers". Then when you make what you believe to be a reasonable offer based on the photos and information provided they get offended and upset. :rolleyes:

Thats to bad for them,,they asked..thier loss ,,thier frustration not yours :)
on to the next one then !!
easy..

Some will sit here and read this whole thread,,take the time to post comments,,a couple of times or more and then say they dont want to take the TIME to make an offer !! LOL !!

Thats to bad for them,,they asked..thier loss ,,thier frustration not yours :)
on to the next one then !!
easy..

Some will sit here and read this whole thread,,take the time to post comments,,a couple of times or more and then say they dont want to take the TIME to make an offer !! LOL !!

Exactly. There will always be another saw for sale. Why get so bent outta shape about one sale.

No matter where it is, if there isn't a price on it, I move on. Doesn't matter if its a shop, a gun show, car dealer, whatever. I guess it goes back to the old saying that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

The other ones I despise are the ones that ask me for my "bottom dollar". I always put a price on anything I try to sell, with the condition that if you don't like the price, make an offer. Then, instead of making an offer, they want to know my bottom dollar. I usually add $50 or so to my asking price and tell them that just for them, that is my bottom dollar. Don't want to do business with them anyway because that just tells me they didn't read the ad all the way through, and they'll probably be a pain in my arse in the near future.

I also never get upset or angry with low ball offers. I asked for them to make an offer, and they did. How can I rightfully be upset?

Whenever I go see someone about a C-list ad, and he wants ME to start the bidding, I start at $1. I don't care what it is or how much it's worth. At least I know I didn't start the conversation above his minimum number and get hosed. Force it back on him.

"Oh come on man, gimme a reasonable number".
A buck. One dollar is as reasonable as my wife will allow. Now how bout you tell me how high above that we're gonna go, so I know how much trouble I'm gonna be in when I get home.

That usually opens up a little humor at the same time, and the guy tends to not get pissed even though you just forced him to make a move.

Latest posts

Back