I Posted An Ad Looking For Broken Saws....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
Trying a new approach to finding project saws. I posted an ad and asked for pics and prices.

In 10 minutes, I already have a guy responding and sending pictures. Of course he wants me to make an offer.

I don't want to offend anybody so this could be interesting, you never know what they are thinking, he could want a million or almost nothing. That's why I was hoping he would throw out the offer first.

Let the fun begin. Posting an ad like this may remind somebody they have an old saw sitting around they forgot about or never thought somebody would be interested in broken saws.

I never worry about offending people if they want me to make an offer. I used to get a lot of that when I ran ads looking for saws. Most of the time they didn’t have a clue and were happy with whatever I threw out there.

I posted one saying I collect chainsaws. Years ago didn’t get hits now I’m getting hits all over the spectrum. Some folks asking if I have parts for their stuff. Of course getting people wanting to sell their 025 and 290. It’s amazing what people have and say.

Where did you post the ad? I put one Craigslist in my area last year. Turned up nothing but a busted wild thing and a Craftsman version of one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I put a big picture of my saw tree with "Looking for Broken Chainsaws" across the picture to catch attention on Facebook Marketplace.

I have had a few good leads but haven't bought anything yet . I specifically said I was interested in Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, and echo but have gotten several offers for Poulan Pros.

I do have one guy that was wanting to pay me to fix his saw, which may be the push I need to do it on the side.

I have also gotten alot of flakes that say they have a particular saw for sale, but if I ask a question, they never respond. I had a guy say I have a 281xp for $100 its complete but taken apart. I asked why it was taken apart, and never heard back.

Just remember you are either buying saws to fix them and sell them or to collect them, not to please sellers. ;)

If my experiences on the matter are anything to go by "project chainsaw" often means "a collection of loose parts, perhaps related, in a cardboard box" and, let's be honest, most stuff is neither rare nor valuable.
Basements, garages and garden sheds are packed with broken pieces of power equipment the owners cannot bring themselves to throw away. Granted, most just need a fuel delivery system overhaul and a good clean, but are they really worth your time? Unless you are a collector determined to obtain the most obscure brands they are not really worth your time and money. If you do a bit of money on the sidelines fixing garden equipment for people in your area you may be interested in a few to strip down for cheap parts, but at that point buying locally at scrap metal values makes much more sense.

I have stopped to "buy and fix to sell" a while back for a variety of reasons but one thing I learned early on was to say "I am not interested in that".
Another thing I learned is the world is full of weirdos: they call you to come and see a couple of brushcutters and never call back; they want to trade your Farm Boss for a Zenoah plus cash and disappear into thin air; they have an MS460 with a scored piston to sell and they pull a Jimmy Hoffa on you... you'll learn this soon enough.

I stopped in an old Stihl dealer and asked if he had any old Homelites. He sold me a Super 1050 100CC's with full wrap for $40, an XL925, a 450 and an EZ for $10 each. I just bought 3 saws at the auction of a 50+ year small engine shop, the owner had passed, for $22.50, for all 3. Two were 95CC's and one was 77CC's. Every small engine shop in the area had people there bidding. In that atmosphere, I got three big saws for less than $25. That shows you what they are worth to people in the business. If you are buying relatively new saws, 10 years or newer, I have no idea. Old saws that turn over but don't start, to me, are $10 saws. The bigger they get the price goes up a little. If it's for collecting, and you are anything like me, it's going on the shelf till it's turn to tinker. It may sit there for ever. So, all you are doing is taking it from under their work bench making their wife happy, putting it on your shelf making your wife frustrated. Old chainsaws are just trash to most people, go to the dump and look in the metal dumpster, THAT SHOULD BE WHAT DRIVES YOUR OFFER. I'll be 64 in March, all my friends know I collect chainsaws. Most are my age. Their Dad's are starting to pass, some give me their old saws. One friend called and told me his cousin was selling his Dad's two old Macs for $35. One was a 55o 99CC's and the other was a Mac 15, I think they are 85CC's. Turned out his cousin was an old high school buddy of mine. So, I gave him the $70, anybody else I would have offered $50. Both saws being over 70CC's puts them in my $25 dollar range if they are complete and crank over. Offer low, you can always go up.

I also took my tiller into a new shop. The guy had a Mac15, and said he was tired of moving it around. I only had $10 on me, so I told him I'd make him an offer when I picked up the tiller. When I came back he said the guys made a run to the scrap dealer and he threw it on the pile. So much for offending people.

I asked my local Stihl dealer what they do with the broken saws and he told me they keep them for parts. He didnt offer any up for sale.

I've never found a saw on CL and only 1 on eBay. I like auctions, they aren't trying to sell a family heirloom. People think because it's old it's valuable. If I go into a Stihl dealer I specifically ask for other brands. Its harder and harder to find old shops with bone yards of old saws. Time is on your side. I went to my honey hole auction this afternoon, not a single saw. They did have a mint Kelly Perfect double bit ax. I bid to $40 and it sold for $45. No luck for me today.

People sure are dumb though. They keep offering me old beat up running saws for near new price when my ad clearly says non running saws.

Not dumb, they are just trying to peddle their wares. Often it's stuff nobody wants so they are desperate to get it out of the door. It's normal.
As are the silly near new prices. I've actually seen a used Honda UMK425 trimmer advertised for more than the then current promotional pricing by Honda (which included VAT).
An acquaintance who used to work for Ford told me in their sector it's called "aspirational pricing", and it's absolutely normal until people actually start paying those stupid prices. ;)

You need to know the business and pricing. Some people are proud of their junk and some want rid of it. I run upon a deal sometimes I can't get my money out quick enough, but most are pretty proud of their junk. Usually just being lucky and at the right place at the right time.

I have stopped to "buy and fix to sell" a while back for a variety of reasons but one thing I learned early on was to say "I am not interested in that".
Another thing I learned is the world is full of weirdos: they call you to come and see a couple of brushcutters and never call back; they want to trade your Farm Boss for a Zenoah plus cash and disappear into thin air; they have an MS460 with a scored piston to sell and they pull a Jimmy Hoffa on you... you'll learn this soon enough.

This kind of behavior isn’t unique to saws either. We occasionally list some household item for “free” on FB marketplace.

Holy cow....”free” anything brings some real weirdos out of the wood work. The sheer entertainment value of some of the “buyer” inquiries is worth it.

Back