Trailer light question......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just buy a $10 wiring kit and rewire the trailer, don't worry about the old wire, just start over using and old section of garden hose as conduit and run it where you see fit.

I would just buy a $10 wiring kit and rewire the trailer, don't worry about the old wire, just start over using and old section of garden hose as conduit and run it where you see fit.
That wood be a little like takin out a squirrel with a 30-30 provided the trailer had good wiring and just needed a diff style connector.

Shari,,do as jw said,,,,,and the butt connectors to connect the stubs together,,use HEAT SHRINK ones only!!!! wire will last forever.......if you use a non shrink,,they will start to corrode,right inside the connector....and the shrink ones only cost a bit more--

Shari,,do as jw said,,,,,and the butt connectors to connect the stubs together,,use HEAT SHRINK ones only!!!! wire will last forever.......if you use a non shrink,,they will start to corrode,right inside the connector....and the shrink ones only cost a bit more--

Heat shrink - I know about those. Somewhere around here we even have a heat gun.......

Yup - nope - not touching the lights or the wiring going into them. They are waterproof, sealed (marine?) style lights.

Shari

Well, as a follow up - As a veterinarian would say "I snipped it - no going back now." :)

I think I have a Fibber McGee thing going on here now. Existing wires are not the white, yellow, green brown combo I'm used to seeing. Argh!

Shari

Which light cord did you cut. Trailer or truck?

Right now - trailer. I know truck pigtail works. I will be replacing truck pigtail once I get the trailer working. One thing at a time.

Shari

Thats a good idea.Anyway If you dont have any color coded wires on trailer cord youll have to put electricity to the wires and see what light up to figure out what wire is what. Somebody said use a battery charger, I use an old battery. Keep us posted. :)

Well, as a follow up - As a veterinarian would say "I snipped it - no going back now." :)

I think I have a Fibber McGee thing going on here now. Existing wires are not the white, yellow, green brown combo I'm used to seeing. Argh!

Shari

can you tell me what the wire colors are on the trailer?

i'll get a wiring diagram so that you will know what wire does what.

in your other thread about the trailer hitch, you said the wiring starts out round then goes to a flat(?)

i'm going to guess the previous owner had the round connector and adapted it to the trailer wiring.

Last edited:
If you already snipped the trailer harness, I have an extra new four way flat setup you can have, pm your addy and I'll toss it in one of those elcheapo boxes and send it your way.

can you tell me what the wire colors are on the trailer?

i'll get a wiring diagram so that you will know what wire does what

in your other thread about the trailer hitch, you said the wiring starts out round then goes to a flat(?)

i'm going to guess the previous owner had the round connector and adapted it to the trailer wiring.

You get an A for effort, but I smell heartache...:cool2: Seems a fair bit of the population uses the color coding as more of a guideline rather than the rule. While it is possible, that the previous owner wired it "to spec", don't ever count on it....:msp_thumbup:

You get an A for effort, but I smell heartache...:cool2: Seems a fair bit of the population uses the color coding as more of a guideline rather than the rule. While it is possible, that the previous owner wired it "to spec", don't ever count on it....:msp_thumbup:

lol...it was a shot in the dark.

Heat shrink - I know about those. Somewhere around here we even have a heat gun.......

Yup - nope - not touching the lights or the wiring going into them. They are waterproof, sealed (marine?) style lights.

Shari

i was talking,,about heat shrink,,butt connectors..not where you crimp a non insulated terminal;,,then melt heat shrink.......can get them at any auto store--

Okie dokie fellas - As they say "It rained on my parade today."

Literally, it was raining like cats and dogs out there. I had an appointment to have bearings greased, bearing buddies added, etc. to the trailer so whilst the trailer was going to be in the shop anyway.... I asked if they wanted to tackle the wiring. To which the young man said, "Sure!" So - after all of the above helpful discussion and kind comments directed towards me someone else is doing the job for me. :) I will still change out the existing slay on the SUV but not until the trailer is home and lights are checked out to verify they are wired correctly from truck to trailer.

We did end up having both wheel bearings replaced; more as a preventative thing versus need - but hey - now I know the baseline when maintenance was done and I can go forward from this point.

Thanks to all who offered comment!

Shari

well....had we all known you were going to have it fixed, we could have suggested bringing it to a shop 3 pages ago. :laugh:

glad it's working out for ya.

Yeah, the rain just finished my ambition for this project. Hey, I was in the ER for hours on Saturday, had an overnight hospital stay Monday/Tues and working on the trailer in between & since then. I guess you'd call that pushing it - and then it rained/poured this morning. Enough! Defeat is announced! There are other windmills to conquer in life. :)

Shari

i hope the ER was nothing serious and if it was, i hope it all worked out for ya.

A couple pages ago someone suggested rewiring the trailer and was laughed at....

I would have to agree with the guy who said get a light kit and replace it

in the future stop into just about any Walmart or Lowes and they sell complete kits from front to back for trailers...

I have seen them for as much/little as $30....

It comes with everything....its color coded and you get all new bulbs and lenses....

Now if I have a light duty trailer that gives me grief for more than 10 minutes I just rip the lights and wires off and install new...

Takes me about 15 minutes start to finish and I am on my way...

Its not worth it to me to be tracing wires and looking for breaks...

Time is money....

Latest posts

Back