Trailer Q's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am in the market for a trailer. I am thinking about a 7000lb model with tandem axles and would like it to be at least 14ft.m I would also prefer a wood deck and sides on it. I will be using it for hauling all sorts of things from firewood to supplies for the house we will be building. I've searched the net some so far to no avail. Anybody have a favorite? Any idea on prices?

Thanks...

Look for a used dump trailer.... they can be bought for as little as $1800 and never get much lower than that... I have my eyes on one thats been sitting rusting in a field for about 6 years.... I keep stopping and leaving my name and number hoping one day to get a call...

I second the dump trailer idea. I just bought a 12k 7x12 a few months ago and haul firewood , gravel, my tractor and even my buddies old car. They are VERY versatile and it is really nice not unloading material ( gravel, firewood ) by hand anymore. Just hit the button and watch it fall out !!

I just bought a 6x12 single axle landscape trailer about 2 months ago it handles a half a chord pretty easily but if you want the full chord go for the tandem axle it hauls good bigger sides and a second axle is all mine needs to be perfect,

read woodticks trailer post below to get an idea of what not to buy or how much to load on a trailer(woodtick this is not a slam at you)before you decide. trailers are something that you should spec. heavier than the intended use because as you may know we all tend to overload a trailer.

read woodticks trailer post below to get an idea of what not to buy or how much to load on a trailer(woodtick this is not a slam at you)before you decide. trailers are something that you should spec. heavier than the intended use because as you may know we all tend to overload a trailer.

Daaang!!! I had one feeling left and Woodfarmer crushed it.... :((

I have to say that for $200 I did not do all that bad......but I really did NOT give alot of thought to how the trailer would tow loaded..... I have many hours in the trailer to make it what i wanted to haul wood either split or full rounds/logs... Its a well built trailer but has a high tongue weight and it appears the axles should farther forward for my application. Many people said just don't load the 2-3ft at the front of the trailer.... well my thought is why is it there then????? The trailer pulls better excellent both full and empty but unless the front 3 ft is left empty the tongue weight is higher than desired...

I've been reading that thread so far....

I had planned on a single axle 3k trailer, but the 7k will fill my needs much better.

I just bought a 6x12 single axle landscape trailer about 2 months ago it handles a half a chord pretty easily but if you want the full chord go for the tandem axle it hauls good bigger sides and a second axle is all mine needs to be perfect,

depends on which trailer you get. I too have a 6x12x2h with 2" oak floor and 5' attached ramps. its made out of 3x4 square tubing instead of the usual angle iron. I have a weigh slip here that show the old s-10 blazer and that trailer hooked up together hauling a load of walnut logs. total weight was 11,170lbs, and I am always having 2-2.2 tons of gravel dumped onto it. so much for a 3500lb axle. but if you're going to treat one that badly, keep real close check on your wheel bearings and keep them greased!
I like rolling logs cut to 5' up onto it (up the ramps) saves cutting and I back it over the hill and drop the gates. self dumping that way, but I have been keeping an eye out for a good used dump trailer. preferably a goose neck so I relagate that trailer back to hauling 4wheelers and building supplies.
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back