Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You calling me a ninny?
:ices_rofl:

I don't have enough garden hose to reach those trees - and @ about $60/ea @ Wallyworld I'm not going to any time soon.
I saw those photos yesterday.
I'll go take a few close ups of the leaves and post them.

Actually, I thought I was referring to others, but if the shoe fits...

BTW, my original statement was this:
Whether the observed damage was caused by heat or herbicides, water those trees!

BTW, my original statement was this:
The man from DoA said don't touch them, so watering them would go against his directive, I would think.
Going to take more photos - I thought it was just these trees, but I just noticed the leaves on my maples, paulownia, and buckeyes are looking funky, too. :mad:

You should find out if your farmer used a combination spray of dicamba and glyphosate, apparently a fairly common practice.
https://brownfieldagnews.com/news/s...icamba-volatility-when-mixed-with-glyphosate/
That information would be useless to me. I'm sure the guy from the DoA will find that out when he does his inspection.

PLUS, if he is being negligent I don't want to do anything to alert him so he can try to cover his tracks - that is, IF the damage is from the spraying.
If it's not then my trees are none of his concern.

Yep. That looks like broadleaf herbicide damage to me. Almost classic examples, especially the last picture and this one:
1652558869826.png
Those are much better pictures, by the way.

Find some grapevines in the area. They are particularly sensitive to Dicamba. Redbud are more sensitive than most trees, or so I have read.

Remember my suggestion of chlorosis treatments?
1652559926323.png

While researching your topic I also found a reference that said new growth following a dicamba exposure was often observed to be chlorotic. At this point, I'd almost say it was a definite diagnosis. Funny thing is, I don't see the herbicide damage in this picture, as it is only displaying the new growth.

I'm going to guess that your trees will be ok. You probably got a good dose of volatile exposure, which is more damaging to the foliage than to the entire tree. It all boils down to the total amount of herbicide delivered to each plant. The fact that you have new growth is very encouraging. The fact that some of your plants were defoliated nearly completely isn't too good at all.

I've never done an overspray of this type, so I lack experience at predicting the outcome for your trees.

Find some grapevines in the area. They are particularly sensitive to Dicamba. Redbud are more sensitive than most trees, or so I have read.
I just so happen to have grape vines - or I should say HAD grapevines. :mad:
Althea, sassafras, grapevines, cedar, blueberries, looks like nearly everything in the yard has been decimated - including the fencerow and beyond.

althea2.JPGalthea3.JPGblueberry2.JPGcedar1.JPGfencerow1.JPGfencerow2.JPGfencerow3.JPGfencerow4.JPGfencerow6.JPGfencerow7.JPG

Remember my suggestion of chlorosis treatments?
View attachment 988232

While researching your topic I also found a reference that said new growth following a dicamba exposure was often observed to be chlorotic. At this point, I'd almost say it was a definite diagnosis. Funny thing is, I don't see the herbicide damage in this picture, as it is only displaying the new growth.

I'm going to guess that your trees will be ok. You probably got a good dose of volatile exposure, which is more damaging to the foliage than to the entire tree. It all boils down to the total amount of herbicide delivered to each plant. The fact that you have new growth is very encouraging. The fact that some of your plants were defoliated nearly completely isn't too good at all.

I've never done an overspray of this type, so I lack experience at predicting the outcome for your trees.
I noticed that, too, but the new growth leaves on the oaks are turning a pale sickly yellow/green as they mature, rather limp also. I thought the new pink was encouraging, but not so much now.

That information would be useless to me. I'm sure the guy from the DoA will find that out when he does his inspection.

PLUS, if he is being negligent I don't want to do anything to alert him so he can try to cover his tracks - that is, IF the damage is from the spraying.
If it's not then my trees are none of his concern.

You may wish to check this out also.
https://investigatemidwest.org/2020...-dicamba-no-longer-legal-federal-court-rules/
This story is a couple years old. I haven't found out yet what the current status of the ruling is.

EDIT: Nope. Not banned, and too early in the season to be considered a violation.
https://www.epa.gov/pesticides/epa-...trict-use-over-top-dicamba-minnesota-and-iowa

Latest posts

Back